“A hotel with huge rooms, great location and nice services”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #35 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Perth, Australia
“A hotel with huge rooms, great location and nice services”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel when we came back from the Garden Route, as we were flying out the next day, we thought it’s better to book a hotel in a convenient location and close to the Water Front, didn’t expect much from it though. When we arrived at the hotel, we were happy with the location. However, the interior deco of the hotel itself is a bit cold and plain. To be honest, I didn’t have a good feeling about it while I was in the lobby. But when we walked into our room, we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It consists of a big living room, a huge kitchen and a six-seater dining table, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It’s modern and it’s huge!

The other nice surprise came later in the evening, when I was looking for direction for a restaurant we read about on the Insight Guides book - Cape Town. There was a gentleman at the reception area who was very helpful, not only drew the direction on the city map for us, he also recommended several other restaurants with different style of food. We only found out early next morning (when we check out), that gentleman was Mr Desmond O’Connor, the General Manager of the Mandela Rhodes Hotel. Mr O’Connor was at the reception area again (mind you, he was there last night). He asked us whether we enjoyed the food last night, and even offered to make us a dining itinerary for different restaurants next time we visit Cape Town. We were very impressed by his hands-on style of management and his genuine interests in his guests. We have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Petitewave
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Petitewave,

Thank you for the very kind words. The best part of what I do is being able to spend time with my guests and also being able to assist them with having a memorable experience. With this in mind I am delighted that you had a good stay and trust we will see you rather sooner than later.

Desmond

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Delft, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Wow ! what a stay, what a memories we have here and please read on to find out why we will be back here.

We stayed here for 6 nights with a family of five (2 adults 3 kids) and we had a wonderfull time. We choose this hotel because of the good reviews here and we planned to celebrate our 15 yr anniversay here as we concluded a 4 week round vacation/road trip throughout the whole of South Africa. When we arrived we where greated with a smile by reception staff. Upon checking in everything was explained and a porter (a tall man but friendly man named Joaoa) greeted us and helped us with taking the luggage from the car to our room up on the 13th floor. (1304) We had a platinum room and it showed. Jaoa showed us around and the suite was hughe ! I can only compare it to the extended suites the marriott offers in USA or the hotel suites at the venetian hotel in vegas - but this was bigger then both! The suite had a very modern deisgn and a big living room with a hughe kitchen and two bedrooms with ample closet space and thick carpet in the bedroom with floor heating (also in the livingroom). The suite had 2 bathrooms (one with shower, one with shower and a bath),3 toilets and two bedrooms.The kitchen was fully equiped and the living room had a flatscreen TV and in the bedroom an in-room safe was present. We had a nice view from the room on signal hill. and on the 13th floor we didn't hear any street noise.

When we setteled in we noticed that two faucet rings in the bathroom where loose and that the showerdoor was leaking. I went to reception to report it, and when i came back up in the room a staff member was already looking at the problem and fixed it immidiately. During our stay we also experienced issue's with the washing machine. In the end the hotel manager had the hotel laundry service take care of our laundry. The maid that came to fetch our laundry even stayed after her shift to make sure it was done, handled properly and that we got our laundry returned asap. Allister checked up later to make sure everything was handeled properly. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

The hotel is located in a central spot and close to a street market for all your souvenir shopping. Another benefit is that the hop-on hop-off bus stop is just across the street. Reception staff like Zubeida or Chris (and others) helped us out with planning our trips, dinner suggestion, take out food and on a number of occasions the porters walked with us to the bus stop and even down the road to the ticket office (in the bookshop down the street) to show the way and help out.
I also remember that Zubaida from reception suggested a resaurant, arranged a cab for the family and upon arriving in the restaurent the waiter even knew my food preferences because she had informed him before hand - simple details but things like that make a stay wonderfull.

The lobby of the hotel is a sort of central atruim where you'll find a coffeshop (motherland coffe) a restaurant (doppio - Italian restaurant) an a art gallery, and ATM and a hotel tourist information office. Our kids where never a problem and all the staff where very nice to them and even the cleaners asked how things where with the 'little ones' every day. You almost feel like a resident.

A few days before we where supposed to fly back home things got a bit serious for us. One of our (young) kids got sick. She had a bit of a fever and we had to stay 'in' because of it. Unfortunatly this was the day we had planned to go for a family dinner to celebrate. The hotel staff had overheard that this day was our anniversay and we had a complementaty bottle of wine with some sweet delivered in the room. Later that day we got a mystery visit from hotel staff claiming they needed to inspect our bedroom for a minute. But they wanted a minute alone. When they left they told us to go and have a look. Much to our surprise they decorated our bed with rose petals in the shape of a heart and with the word LOVE. It turned a smile upon our faces. The staff had managed to brighten up our day a bit eventhough we felt a bit sad with one of kids being sick.

Later that day and quite suddenly our daugther developed high fever and some other problems. We needed a doctor. I walked down to reception in the evening to go over the options but Zubeida simple stated she would take care of it and also gave me guestimate of the cost involved. Five mins later we had a call that a doctor was on the way and 30 minutes later a doctor turned up on our doorstep with a staff member escorting him up to expedite matters.
The doctor patched our little girl up and the next morning every staff member we ran into inquired about her health. And not in a nosy way but in a seriously interested manner.

In summary the beauty of this place is not just the big room the central location, not the excellent value for money and the facilties. It's the staff that really makes the difference here. They made us feel at home, comfortable and I was really impressed by the team spirit of every hotel employee involved to help or assist in any way they can. When we left I was so taken by the efforts of the staff that i bought a number of coupons from the coffeshop for free coffee and gave them to all of them. I've never done this before but i was so impressed and greatfull that they gave our family such a wonderfull time in Capetown.It was my way of saying thanks - It's the stuff you see in hotel commercials on TV but never really see in real life. But here it was the other way around. They really care and it shows.

I've stayed in and reviewed quite a few hotels worldwide (check my profile) but this one simply takes the crown. If your going to capetown and you are reading this, book this place ! You will not be disappointed. When we get the chance we will certainly come back to Mandela Rhodes Place.

Room Tip: Get room up high and pay the extra for the platinum rooms if you can - it's really worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dutchman02
Dear Dutchman02,

I must admit your review left me very proud of my team. It is always nice to read reviews like this as it is testimony to the ethos we try and strive for and that is one of "UNBUNTU". It means simply "I am because you are" .

That said, I think it is clear that we have fulfilled our purpose as Hoteliers and have managed to create an exceptional experience for you and your family.

I trust that even though you live far away we may have the pleasure of your company in the not too distant future.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel and were very pleasantly surprised. It has a wonderful entrance, the staff are helpful and the double room apartment we stayed in was superb. For a city hotel this was second to none. I would recommend it to anyone and would not hesitate to rebook if I went back to Cape Town.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Juliah_8,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Mandela Rhodes Place recently. I was delighted to have read your comments and to note that you enjoyed your stay with us here.

We trust that you will come visit us again and soon.

Edinburgh, Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

Staying at this place can be dangerous: stay too long and you simply won't want to leave. After a two-week stay in our beautifully furnished studio apartment, it was a pretty hard on our last day as we had really made it our 'home'. The hotel has everything going for it: centrally located in Cape Town near the Company Gardens and many other sights; stylish, contemporary self-catering apartments, which are fully equipped and cleaned everyday; a gym and swimming pool; on the route of the hop-on-hop-off bus; and next to a great indoor market - the Food Lovers Market, and a weekly outdoor market.

The staff at the hotel are fantastic and do everything to ensure that you are completely satisfied. The hotel restaurant, Doppio Zero, was excellent - so good in fact that we eat there about five times during our stay; although you also have a huge choice of other good restaurants in nearby Long Street and Bree Street and at the Waterfront, which is a short taxi ride away. Finally, we also used the hotel tour agents, Stobers Travel, for three trips - to the winelands, Cape Point and the townships - all of which were well organised, and well guided.

For value-for-money, this is an outstanding choice in Cape Town. The whole set-up at the Mandela-Rhodes works really well and it will certainly be our first choice if we return to Cape Town, which we hope to do so next year having fallen in love with the place and the people!

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Godiver
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Godiver,

I believe all that remains to be said about your very detailed and complimentary review is thank you and the pleasure was ours.

Your room will be kept ready for your next visit which is hopefully already in the planning stages.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

I found this hotel on galahotels.com and paid a little over $200US for a 3 night stay. It is a great value. I got a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment with living room, dining room and kitchen. It is very spacious and the room overlooked the active streets below. The staff was friendly and helpful. They even got me a last minute reservation for high tea when it was booked up by calling a favor from a friend. Hardwood floors, modern/contemporary design, coffee shop and restaurant (although we didn't use them) were on site. One staff member even walked my husband down to a place he could by a SIM chip for the phone. They went out of their way and we'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank dnottelmann
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Dnottelmann,

Thank you for choosing Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa as your "home" whilst visiting Cape Town recently. I was delighted to have ready your excellent comments and even more so about my staff looking after you.

I trust that this will assure that you will be coming back to visit us again and hopefully not too long form now.

Pretoria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Lovely place to stay in the heart of Cape Town with lots of restaurants! Within walking distance of a lot of major attractions.

Not rooms, but apartments with everything in working order and of high quality. Microwave, refrigerator even a washing machine and fabulous furniture.

On arrival we were allocated an apartment on the second floor. Everything of good quality and beautifully decorated, but the smell and smoke of the restaurants underneath and around the apartment was not acceptable.

I went down to Reception and Alistair moved us to a beautiful apartment on the 10th floor within minutes. He was absolutely fantastic! Our porter, Andile, was also so nice and friendly. Our new apartment had a beautiful view over Table Mountain. It was so special! We really enjoyed it.

Can not comment on breakfast. There are so many coffee shops and deli's around Mandela Rhodes that we have decided not to opt for breakfast.

Great place for a city trip and SUPER staff! And also special was all the photos of Madiba.Thank you!

Room Tip: Avoid apartments on first and second floors.
1 Thank YvonneTA
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear YvonneTA,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel recently. I am delighted to have ready your review, especially the part of Allister and Andile. It is known fact that any organisation will be null and void without the people that work in it.

That said, it makes me extremely proud when my team members have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and with this have created an exceptional experience for you, our guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when next in Cape Town.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa in the hopefully not too distant future.

“Wamkelekile” (Xhosa – Your welcome)

San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

Great customer service, friendly, helpful and pleasant no matter what time of day. We spent 10 days in Cape Town and ended up staying 6 nights at this hotel. It's close to the Waterfront (50-60 Rand cab drive). It's close to other shops, markets and the museums all walking distance. They have rooms with beautiful views of Table Mountain and a very good breakfast each morning. Very safe and comfortable with a parking garage for rental cars. I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for view of Table Mountain
Dear Benjamin M,

Thank you for choosing to use Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel as your "home" whilst visiting our beautiful city. It always make me so proud when we have lived up to the expectations of our guests and were able to provide not only an efficient service, but a friendly one at that.

We hope and trust that you will come visit us again and not in the too distant future.