“Great location and Hotel”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
“Great location and Hotel”
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

My wife, infant son, and in-laws stayed in a two bedroom. The two bedroom was very spacious and felt homey (more like an apartment than a hotel). Having a washer and dryer was very convenient, especially with a baby. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. They even invited my wife and I to a party that was being thrown on the top floor. The location was perfect. Just cross the street to hop onto the red line bus and take a tour of cape town. Also, there are lots of restaurants and shops in close proximity. Be sure to checkout the coffee shop downstairs, the white chocolate coffee was amazing. Overall, we loved cape town and this hotel was great. Can't wait to visit again!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Wonderful staff, amazing rooms and good price. The breakfast was not included , and the price for the restaurant Doppio Zero is not good at all also the food. You can buy things and eat in your room.
Parking service a availed for 55 rands, good price.

I will came back for sure!!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gabs29
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear misstraveller099
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I did pass your comments on to Doppio Zero Management, and they have committed to bettering their Food & Beverage offering, as well as service standards. Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention, as this assists us greatly in improving our service to you our Guest.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future.
“Wamkelekile” (Xhosa – Your Welcome)
Best regards and safe travels!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for few nights I in a 2 bedroom suit. Very big rooms are nicely decorated with muted wooden colors. The crew working here, is very nice however service is very casual.
This hotel is located a step away from the vibrant night life street "Long street"
Enjoy

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank natan a
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear 26banana,

Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa recently. My team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us here at the Hotel.

It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and with this have created an exceptional experience for our guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when next in Cape Town.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa in the hopefully not too distant future.

“Wamkelekile” (Xhosa – Your welcome)

Pretoria
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Having stayed twice at the Hotel now, it was finally time to rate the Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa. First stayed at the hotel during July 2013 with friends to celebrate my birthday (...of shark cage diving and fine dining) and in the beginning of November 2013 for business. In July we reserved one of the suites which we found perfect for our needs and greatly complemented our holiday...great view of CBD. Second time round I reserved a smaller room but for business purposes it was perfect, separate lounge and kitchen with big dining room table to spread out files on! The staff are really friendly and always willing to help.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Desmond4, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Arno K,

Thank you for the dual review and letting us know that we have the capacity to cater for both types of travelers.

As you live "up the road", I trust that we will have the pleasure of your company in the not too distant future.

Sydney
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Two months later and after traveling through 8 countries we still reminisce about this wonderful hotel. Great 2 bedroom apartment that is very well priced with a large spacious gym and pool. Close to everything. Very competent and professional staff. The only problem is that if everyone keeps giving this place 5 stars its going to get difficult to book!! Well done Mandela Rhodes.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Winesignh,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us whilst you spent time in our beautiful city. It always warms the heart when I read these kind of reviews.

I can assure no matter the star rating we will make sure we have a place for you to stay when next in Cape Town.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed in this hotel when we came back from the Garden Route, as we were flying out the next day, we thought it’s better to book a hotel in a convenient location and close to the Water Front, didn’t expect much from it though. When we arrived at the hotel, we were happy with the location. However, the interior deco of the hotel itself is a bit cold and plain. To be honest, I didn’t have a good feeling about it while I was in the lobby. But when we walked into our room, we were pleasantly surprised by the size of the room. It consists of a big living room, a huge kitchen and a six-seater dining table, two bedrooms and two bathrooms. It’s modern and it’s huge!

The other nice surprise came later in the evening, when I was looking for direction for a restaurant we read about on the Insight Guides book - Cape Town. There was a gentleman at the reception area who was very helpful, not only drew the direction on the city map for us, he also recommended several other restaurants with different style of food. We only found out early next morning (when we check out), that gentleman was Mr Desmond O’Connor, the General Manager of the Mandela Rhodes Hotel. Mr O’Connor was at the reception area again (mind you, he was there last night). He asked us whether we enjoyed the food last night, and even offered to make us a dining itinerary for different restaurants next time we visit Cape Town. We were very impressed by his hands-on style of management and his genuine interests in his guests. We have no hesitation to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Petitewave
Dear Petitewave,

Thank you for the very kind words. The best part of what I do is being able to spend time with my guests and also being able to assist them with having a memorable experience. With this in mind I am delighted that you had a good stay and trust we will see you rather sooner than later.

Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Wow ! what a stay, what a memories we have here and please read on to find out why we will be back here.

We stayed here for 6 nights with a family of five (2 adults 3 kids) and we had a wonderfull time. We choose this hotel because of the good reviews here and we planned to celebrate our 15 yr anniversay here as we concluded a 4 week round vacation/road trip throughout the whole of South Africa. When we arrived we where greated with a smile by reception staff. Upon checking in everything was explained and a porter (a tall man but friendly man named Joaoa) greeted us and helped us with taking the luggage from the car to our room up on the 13th floor. (1304) We had a platinum room and it showed. Jaoa showed us around and the suite was hughe ! I can only compare it to the extended suites the marriott offers in USA or the hotel suites at the venetian hotel in vegas - but this was bigger then both! The suite had a very modern deisgn and a big living room with a hughe kitchen and two bedrooms with ample closet space and thick carpet in the bedroom with floor heating (also in the livingroom). The suite had 2 bathrooms (one with shower, one with shower and a bath),3 toilets and two bedrooms.The kitchen was fully equiped and the living room had a flatscreen TV and in the bedroom an in-room safe was present. We had a nice view from the room on signal hill. and on the 13th floor we didn't hear any street noise.

When we setteled in we noticed that two faucet rings in the bathroom where loose and that the showerdoor was leaking. I went to reception to report it, and when i came back up in the room a staff member was already looking at the problem and fixed it immidiately. During our stay we also experienced issue's with the washing machine. In the end the hotel manager had the hotel laundry service take care of our laundry. The maid that came to fetch our laundry even stayed after her shift to make sure it was done, handled properly and that we got our laundry returned asap. Allister checked up later to make sure everything was handeled properly. The staff really goes out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

The hotel is located in a central spot and close to a street market for all your souvenir shopping. Another benefit is that the hop-on hop-off bus stop is just across the street. Reception staff like Zubeida or Chris (and others) helped us out with planning our trips, dinner suggestion, take out food and on a number of occasions the porters walked with us to the bus stop and even down the road to the ticket office (in the bookshop down the street) to show the way and help out.
I also remember that Zubaida from reception suggested a resaurant, arranged a cab for the family and upon arriving in the restaurent the waiter even knew my food preferences because she had informed him before hand - simple details but things like that make a stay wonderfull.

The lobby of the hotel is a sort of central atruim where you'll find a coffeshop (motherland coffe) a restaurant (doppio - Italian restaurant) an a art gallery, and ATM and a hotel tourist information office. Our kids where never a problem and all the staff where very nice to them and even the cleaners asked how things where with the 'little ones' every day. You almost feel like a resident.

A few days before we where supposed to fly back home things got a bit serious for us. One of our (young) kids got sick. She had a bit of a fever and we had to stay 'in' because of it. Unfortunatly this was the day we had planned to go for a family dinner to celebrate. The hotel staff had overheard that this day was our anniversay and we had a complementaty bottle of wine with some sweet delivered in the room. Later that day we got a mystery visit from hotel staff claiming they needed to inspect our bedroom for a minute. But they wanted a minute alone. When they left they told us to go and have a look. Much to our surprise they decorated our bed with rose petals in the shape of a heart and with the word LOVE. It turned a smile upon our faces. The staff had managed to brighten up our day a bit eventhough we felt a bit sad with one of kids being sick.

Later that day and quite suddenly our daugther developed high fever and some other problems. We needed a doctor. I walked down to reception in the evening to go over the options but Zubeida simple stated she would take care of it and also gave me guestimate of the cost involved. Five mins later we had a call that a doctor was on the way and 30 minutes later a doctor turned up on our doorstep with a staff member escorting him up to expedite matters.
The doctor patched our little girl up and the next morning every staff member we ran into inquired about her health. And not in a nosy way but in a seriously interested manner.

In summary the beauty of this place is not just the big room the central location, not the excellent value for money and the facilties. It's the staff that really makes the difference here. They made us feel at home, comfortable and I was really impressed by the team spirit of every hotel employee involved to help or assist in any way they can. When we left I was so taken by the efforts of the staff that i bought a number of coupons from the coffeshop for free coffee and gave them to all of them. I've never done this before but i was so impressed and greatfull that they gave our family such a wonderfull time in Capetown.It was my way of saying thanks - It's the stuff you see in hotel commercials on TV but never really see in real life. But here it was the other way around. They really care and it shows.

I've stayed in and reviewed quite a few hotels worldwide (check my profile) but this one simply takes the crown. If your going to capetown and you are reading this, book this place ! You will not be disappointed. When we get the chance we will certainly come back to Mandela Rhodes Place.

Room Tip: Get room up high and pay the extra for the platinum rooms if you can - it's really worth it.