“Great location for central Cape Town”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #40 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We booked an apartment here for 2 nights over the New Year, so we could experience the celebrations in Cape Town.
The apartment had 2 bedrooms and was fitted out very well, the balcony overlooked the pool and we were able to enjoy the Firework display at the Waterfront from there as well.
The pool area was excellent, perfect for a bit of R&R.
The staff at the hotel were excellent from the moment we checked in to the time that we left.
I would highly recommend this hotel and we will be sure to return, even though we only live 40 mins outside CT.
Simply because of the central location for exploring CT and the whole positive experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Froggy23,
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to my Staff, as they always enjoy getting feedback from our beloved Guests :). I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
Best regards and safe travels!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Great location. A block away from Long Street and Greenmarket, and tons of cute little cafes that has street performers going by during the day. Right next to the Taj Hotel.

Booked with good value over internet site, and the reception kindly upgraded us from a Studio to Superior Apartments. The room was HUGE! Modern, comfortable, fully equipped apartment suite - enormous living room space overlooking the Mountain from the windows, kitchen with pots & pans, ceramic dishes/plates/bowls/teapot, toaster, washing machine, dryer, oven, microwave, water kettle, etc. It was ridiculous, exceeded expectations, and best apartment suite I've been to in terms of facilities. You could have a real cookout here.

Bedroom was a bit small, compared to the massive living room & toilet, and the window blinds let in light throughout the night. Staff quickly fixed the shower drain clog when I called them.

Overall, highly recommend. Amazing location, friendly and helpful staff, really great value for all that it is. Also, great character with the Mandela Rhodes background/history to the hotel, and lobby decor covering Mandela's life and history.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear xandeema,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to my Staff, as they always enjoy getting feedback from our beloved Guests :). I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I do humbly apologize if you experienced any inconvenience with the blocked drain.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Maybe we were just lucky, but we were allocated a huge one bedroom apartment with a huge double balcony overlooking Table Mountain.
The apartment had a full kitchen and we really appreciated the washing machine.
Superb value for money-we used an internet site to book and got a superb rate which was the equivalent of about £70 per night. Fantastic value.
As with previous reviews, the location is superb and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.
10 out of 10!

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony if it's available and decide whether you want mountain or city vie...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear a m,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to my Staff, as they always enjoy getting feedback from our beloved Guests :). I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Most of our Apartments do have balconies, and we always be more than happy to advise on which view you'll be enjoying from a partricluar Apartment.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great location and perfect for evening entertainment. Loved the rooms and the staff. Although I was there on business - it was great to be able to order food in after a long day. The rooms were always clean and fresh.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear AntosStella,

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here over New Year for 4 nights. The hotel is nice and clean and has a nice pool deck on floor 7. Not to forget the helpful and friendly staff. The hotel is in the city center and in easy walking distance of cafés and bars. Within 20-30 minutes one can even walk safely to the V&A Waterfront. Can only recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Cape Town.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank myself_on_the_move

Dear Jens H,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights from 31/12/13 until 2/1/14. The hotel is nice and clean and has a great pool and deck on floor 7. The staff are friendly and the location is brilliant. The New Year's Eve parade went right outside the hotel, yet we were in easy walking distance of cafés and bars. Highly recommend for anyone visiting Cape Town.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Scharteness,

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We booked really last minute so we weren't sure what we would get, that said this place is fantastic! Friendly staff, great apartment with a huge kitchen with everything you could need. Great balcony! We stayed in a two bed apartment and each room was spacious, clean and modern. The floors were heated too which was great cause even in summer Cape Town is cold at night. Internet is free but for only two devices. There is a convenience store up the road from the hotel it's very basic but good for water and soft drinks... I'd recommend not walking there at night, or if you do, go in a group.
Downstairs, at lobby level, there is a great coffee place called Motherland Coffee Company, if you like coffee this is consistently good!
The hotel is really close to Marcos, Mama Africa and Africa Cafe - we had a car so we drove to all of them but you could easily walk. Marcos is an absolute MUST DO for authentic African food without the tourist prices and the night we were there a lot of locals were too - always a good sign!
Overall the hotel felt really safe and secure and loved how central this place was to the V&A waterfront, Table Mountain, Camps Bay etc would highly recommend!!

Room Tip: Request an apartment on the 17th floor facing the mountain.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ksh81
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2014

Dear haroonb,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words to the rest of the Staffing compliment. I have to apologize for the frustration caused by our Car Park, and following your comments I have instructed my Operations Manager to look into this and provide clear directions from the Car park into the Main Hotel foyer. These directions will be installed shortly, and thank you for bringing the problem to our attention.