“Really nice to stay :) ”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #39 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

It was a really great stay here! It is really central, so we could go everywhere by foot! A good thing as well was it, that we had a kitchen in our room, so we could cook for ourselves and didn't depend on restaurants! We'll definitely stay here again!

William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Lena M,
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Many thanks for all your kid words, and I will be sure to pass these on to all of my Staffing compliment.
Best regards and safe travels!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I recently stayed at The Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa when I did the Two Oceans Marathon. This hotel stands tall above central Cape Town and features spacious and luxury suites. It is located within walking distance from the CTICC where the Two Oceans Expo was and also close to the V&A Waterfront. The well known Company's Gardens are also just a 3 minute walk away.

As runners we needed both space and privacy and we got it all here. Our apartment featured two bedrooms, two bathrooms sleeping 4 adults. This also came with an open-plan layout with a flat-screen TV. The apartment also featured a full kitchen but the view was limited to adjacent building, not so exciting. Some rooms apparently do have views of Table Mountain.

The hotel also has as an outdoor swimming pool and full-service spa. The cold water of the pool was soothing for our tired legs after the race.

Not all went well, unfortunately : Housekeeping let us down big time on race day ( 19th ) When we got back to the room at 14:30 the apartment was not serviced. We found it the same way we left it at 04.00am when we left. This was not a welcoming sight. Although the duty manager did arrange for it to be serviced immediately, this was still an unwelcome situation because we were tired and wanted to chill and now had to wait for the apartment to be serviced. I found this very unnecessary and unaccommodating. The other issue we had was with access cards / key cards. I cannot understand why it is such an issue for Three Cities to issue extra cards. As a Prokard Gold Card member of Protea Hotels I am aware of how they operate and what to expect, so when I booked this accommodation I reluctantly did so but opted for this because of the number of guests per apartment and the location of the hotel ( near to the expo ). It was a mission to get as single extra key card, at an extra security deposit of R100 I may add. As if I will disappear with a key card that I cannot use elsewhere :( When one check in with Protea Hotels they always ask, by default, how many cards guests would like to have and given that we were not all couples staying there and this was communicated via email before we arrived, I found it strange that an extra key card can be such an effort to get hold of.

Room Tip: We did ask for a quiet room away from staircases and escalators and we got this by special request p...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Douw,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Just back from Cape Town where we spent 12 days at the Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel and Spa. We booked a deluxe suite which came with two baths and two bedrooms, more space than two people required but lots of fun never the less. The suite was huge and well equipped with almost everything you could think of and if it wasn't there they would probably get it for you. The staff make the place and all are friendly and welcoming to the hotel and city. The roof top pool was a very nice perk as the weather was in the 40's Celsius some days and a dip in the cold pool was very refreshing after a day out. The suite's layouts vary according to the building that you are located in, as the hotel is made up of two older historic and two newer buildings that are all interconnected. In the lobby is a fantastic coffee shop, Motherland Coffee, with some of the brews in the city. We did eat at the restaurant Doppio Zero several times, just because we were too lazy to venture farther afield some nights. The food is great with a wide variety from light to serious fare and a great pizza oven as well. The tour office in the lobby works directly with the hotel and will organize any tour you want. We took both a day trip to the Cape as well as a Wineland tour. Both well worth the money spent.
Cape Town is an amazing city with lots to do and see and wonderful people as well.
Everyone at the hotel was a great ambassador for the city.

1  Thank nroe

Dear nroe,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Many thanks for all your kind words, and I will be sure to pass these on to all of my Staffing compliment, including those based at Doppio Zero restaurant.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

We entered the hotel lobby via the convenient and secure car park, and first impressions are not great- it seems a bit characterless like an airport terminal or shopping complex, nothing very luxurious. But when we went to our 14th floor apartment in the tower, we were wowed!! Really well laid out and spacious, everything you could need for a holiday and in fact we could see that you could easily live there permanently, though we generally only spend a few days right in the city bowl area of Cape Town.

The two bedrooms were very well separated (ideal for two couples) and each with a bathroom, which in the case of the master was very swish indeed. Kitchen had dishwasher and washing machine and full range of cutlery and crockery, we did n't self cater but you easily could and there is a great looking food store round the block; bar to spacious living area with vertigo inducing views of Green Market square from the furnished balcony.

Breakfast was included at the fairly spartan looking but comprehensively catered ground floor restaurant, where you could dine at a supplement but we saw near by places we preferred for the evening. The restaurants at the Taj Hotel adjacent can be charged to your room here (though no one told us!) and Mint was good; probably the Brasserie is too but we waited ages for a table and couldn't get one as no one moved out; we will book another time. The lobby and the lounge bar at the Taj, which you can use, are very swish but the room prices are to match, without the advantages of the full size apartment which we had right next door.

Pool area is good and little used. It is a bit noisy outdoors in this central location, largely it seems from all the air conditioning units at neighbouring properties. The ones here certainly kept the apartment very comfortable.

Wife and youngsters used the spa facilities and raved about the Chinese massage and facials and so on, at prices which are unbelievably low by any European standards, already talking about having more comprehensive treatments next time.

And the staff were helpful and charming and the apartment was very fully serviced, including room service from the hotel.

This area of Cape Town is full of interest but even though security aspects have improved, with many street marshals, it can still feel a bit challenging at times, more so at night;- there is still evident poverty and occasional abuse. Having stayed locally before on a Saturday and enjoyed the vibrant night life on nearby Long Street, we were surprised at just how quiet it was on a Sunday and Monday night in height of season February, which can make it feel uncomfortable when a few unsavoury types appear. In the day you are well placed for the Company Gardens and a whole array of museums and sites- Slave Museum and Jewish Museum both fascinating, and Bo Karp not far either. And for a novel dinner try the Ethiopian Restaurant at the Pan African market in Long Street but don't go late like we did last time because they had run out of food.

Would we go again- we certainly hope so, in fact planning our next trip now!!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a Platinum Tower Room, the higher the better.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelfromhampshire

Dear Travelfromhamps,

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Myself, husband and another couple visited Mandela Rhodes March 31-4/4/14 and it was a great experience.

We rented a car from the airport and parked in their garage...roughly $5 a day..not too bad and it's guarded.

Hotel / Apartment room was clean and had everything we needed including coffee for each morning as well as a washer and dryer...we did have to buy detergent at the local grocery store.

We drove in late at night...around 11 pm and the area looked kinda sketchy.

We were all hungry and asked about dining options and were advised by the front desk that we not go out at night....scary....
Instead they offered to have someone make a run for us.
In the end we had a bell hop hit McDonalds for us and tipped him for doing so.

We ventured out the next morning and loved the area. On Thursday's there is a food/ vendor fair right outside the hotel at lunch...great experience and food!...and shopping.

On Thursday night's they have an art walk....felt totally safe walking around and loved the vibe in the area!!!

Would definitely stay here again...you do need to cab it to the waterfront as it's a bit of a walk...$5.00 cab ride so not too bad. The hotel does offer a free shuttle down there like 4 times a day but you need to get a ride home.

Room Tip: Ask for the apartments..
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear Campbellfam04,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. In response, I would like to assure you that the area is more than safe to walk at night, as we have a great deal of CCID officers also patrolling the area, which is very much part of the inner city safety initiative. I would like to apologize if my Staff created a different impression.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had an executive 2 bedroom apartment and enjoyed the spacious rooms. The 2 bathrooms were spacious and both ensuite with each bedroom The receptionists were all very helpfull. The location was perfect and very centrally. It is highly recommendable.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear BenteM_11,

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Fabulous stay in a great city hotel. Central position with easy access to city centre etc...
The room was terrific with a view of table mountain C320.
We booked an apartment and this was a real bonus as we were able to get all our clothes washed and dried. After 6 months working in the dust of Rwanda the washing machine was really useful.
Breakfast was to die for with a huge choice.

One small criticism was the wi-fi. you were entitled to 100mb free per day but after that you had to pay for it. I would expect free wi-fi given the quality of the rest of the experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in C302 this had a balcony with a great view of Table Mountain.

Dear G W,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. We always appreciate your feedback, good or bad, as we love hearing form our Guests and exactly which aspects of the Hotel they enjoyed most / least. Many thanks also for the feedback on the Complimentary Wifi, and I can assure you we have recently increased the daily amount from 100 to 200 Megs. The cost of additional vouchers thereafter is also being looked at.