“Wonderful stay in the heart of Cape Town”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #34 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at the Three Seasons Mandela Rhodes hotel and really enjoyed our stay. Its in the heart of the city bowl area, a 30 second walk to Greenmarket square, company gardens, and slave lodge. We had a large 2 bedroom aptt, with an excellent kitchen. The staff is very polite, and the travel helpdesk extremely useful. There is a nice cafe on the ground floor, and a nice walking and shopping area, right next to the hotel. Further it is only 10 mins by car/taxi to the cable mountain cable car, district 6 museum, castle of good hope, and victoria and albert waterfront. Overall the perfect place to stay in CT.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front will face the main road and will have more light. They may also give a view of th...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Vivek K
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Thank you also for the great feedback on our Staffing compliment, teh wonderful location of the Hotel and the comments about our Apartments. This is highly appreciated. We are looking forward to having you back some time soon :)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

My wife and I recently enjoyed 6 fantastic nights with two friends at the Three Cities Mandela Rhodes Hotel in a 2 bedroom apartment. The room was very spacious and was fully appointed with kitchen and dining. As we had all been traveling for many weeks throughout Africa it was a pleasure to stay somewhere that had a washing machine in the room also. The staff were so pleasant and to mention two outstanding members Sharleen and Nathan (hope the spelling is correct) went out of their way to make our stay memorable. We also booked a couple of tours and transport from the tour company located in the reception of the hotel and had the best days out. Overall a great location in the CBD, short Taxi to V&A or a 5 minute walk to the train station. We will be back again for another stay.

Room Tip: Our room was a "T" numbered room on the 14th floor, it was quiet and had lounge room views...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Our travel agent found this gem of a hotel for our four-night stay in Cape Town. Our granddaughter wanted to swim with the sharks in South Africa; that brought us here. It can be difficult to impress a teenager, but our granddaughter was duly impressed by the superior two bedroom apartment where she had her own bedroom and bath. We were impressed by the fact that such a delightful accomodation came at a price similar to what one would pay for a room at many hotels. We ate most of our meals at the Doppio Zero restaurant, and they were excellent. The staff was more helpful than we could have hoped for. The weather forced daily changes to our tour plans, but the front desk staff sorted everything out for us. If our travel plans ever take us back to Cape Town again we would love to stay at the Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel again.

Room Tip: Their Superior Two Bedroom Apartment is great for families.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy T

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Actually a really nice hotel!
Incredible location.
Friendly staff who are always on call to assist.

There were a few issues, and I hate to say it but I have experienced them everywhere.
It comes with the nature of the industry I believe, it's how these issues are handled that separates the men from the boys...and these men stand head and shoulders above many of the 5-star hotels I have stayed at in South Africa, Africa in general, and around the world.

I am not sure if the 'travel agent' is associated with the hotel or just hiring the space but if there is one thing that I can honestly say will decrease the rating of this hotel, it would be this joke of a agency.

Room Tip: Any room with a balcony overlooking Church St will have a view of Table Mountain.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear wgp640
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Many thanks for all your wonderful comments about our Staff, our Apartments and Doppio Zero Restaurant. This is always communicated to all Managers and the floor, and I can assure you our Staffing compliment is always dying to have feedback from you our Guests :) May I suggest that you call the Hotel direct in future, and we would be more than happy to assist in making your Reservation, which will save you both time and frustration of booking through the Agent, as experienced in your case.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

When placing a review one needs to look at overall experience. Human error or incompetence will always be there and i have experienced this even at the Ritz Carlton. To me its how the matters get resolved and how they effect your overall stay. We stayed here for 5 nights and the first day was very unpleasant due to human performance however i will not expand on this as the GM resolved the matter quite efficiently after my contact. The rooms are beautiful and well planned from kitchen content and equipment to bathrooms. Nice fridge, washing machine, and utensils. Lots of cupboard space, plugs in all right places, comfortable beds and spacious seating areas. We placed a few calls from room service to assistance with the aircon and each time it was handled very well. The hotel is very well placed and surrounded by restaurants and within close proximity to transport. Must try Haiku Restaurant (a favourite) across road, excellent Asian Fushion and there is lovely food market on Thursdays on the doorstep. There is ample parking which is charged for at R 55/day, a bit high i think for hotel guests but it is Cape Town. Other reviews have mentioned high internet charges but if you are connected to Always On its ample and available. I will return here as i found it very convenient and comfortable. Special mention to Daphne at front desk for going extra mile and ensuring that all was in place.

Room Tip: Do not book the studios, rather spend more and get single bedroom. Try and get a higher floor, dont...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank CK444

Dear CK444
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Many thanks for all your wonderful comments about our Staff, our Apartments and Doppio Zero Restaurant. This is always communicated to all Managers and the floor, and I can assure you our Staffing compliment is always dying to have feedback from you our Guests :). I read your commentary on the rest of the Hotel and your experience, and would like to thank you for your honest and "neutral" approach to the problem experienced on the first day of your stay. It was a pleasure in assisting, and we taken the liberty of updating your Guest Profile to preferring a One Bed Apartment as opposed to our Studio's.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

As a female pensioner this was my first solo trip. The hotel was in a great location with many of the local sights accessible on foot. It was also very convenient for the hop on, hop off bus. The studio apartment was spacious, very comfortable and contained all the amenities necessary for self-catering including a washer and dryer. I had my first breakfast in the restaurant which was very good but there are plenty of local coffee shops and places to eat which offer excellent value for money. The Food Lovers Market is next door and their salad bar, fruit, meat, cheese and fresh bakery counters provided most of my meals. The hotel staff were all very friendly. welcoming and helpful. I definitely hope to visit again.

Room Tip: I was on the 4th floor and undisturbed by any street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Thank gobefore...

Dear gobefore
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Many thanks for all your wonderful comments about our Staff, our Apartments, the Hotel's Location and Doppio Zero Restaurant. This is always communicated to all Managers and the floor, and I can assure you our Staffing compliment is always dying to have feedback from you our Guests :). I read your comments about Street noise, and we have updated your Guest Profile to allocate an Apartment higher up on your future stay with us.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel was a bargain, we booked the 2 room apartment with balcony, for 3 nights and it was huge! So much space, two en suite bathrooms and a separate wc. The location of the hotel is great, a short walk from long street, parliament, green park sq, tourist attractions, museums, Africa café etc. Parking is under the building , this gets busy during the day but we still always managed to park. The hotel has a coffee shop and restaurant at entry level. I would recommend not to use the restaurant for breakfast its 120 rand for the buffet, however you can go to Tashas at the waterfront and have the best breakfast ever.... for less than that and it really is worth going!!

The coffee shop is very good and I would recommend.

The staff are friendly and helpful, a late checkout costs 100 rand per extra hour.

The rooms... this is where id say the chocolate tea pot could melt, they look marvellous , and as long as you don't touch anything or use something ...you're ok. In the lounge room, the sofa tipped up if you sat at one end of it, the table had a sticky mark on it that seemed ingrained in the wood and seemed to catch dust and anything else that passed by it. The main bedroom en suite, the bath plug hole didn't meet the plug no matter how hard we tried! Therefor any bath needed to be under a constant flow of water.. not v enviro friendly ! The bathroom had his and hers wash basins, the whole tap fitting span around on one sink, rendering it a messy experience. The hot tap on the other basin didn't turn on , so not great in that bathroom.

The bedside lights in the master bedroom didn't have any switch to turn them on and there seemed to have been new light switches added to the wall with no function. Therefore, no reading in bed .... Generally the finish to the room was shoddy.

The rooms were clean at first glance, however a closer look and there was a build up of dust in many places, like the top of the head boards. We didn't use the kitchen, it did look to be well stocked , but I couldn't say if the appliances worked. We didn't notify staff of the issues, as a holiday shouldn't be consumed with complaints, it detracts from your enjoyment,

Aside from the first impressions being let down and our room having many random idiosyncrasies, we did indeed enjoy our stay, and for the price it was value for money. I would stay there again, and for our purposes it didn't matter that there was issues with the room and our chocolate tea pot didn't melt.

Room Tip: 2 bedroom apartment with balcony is huge
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank rainbowrover2011

Dear DPU2011
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. Many thanks for all your wonderful comments about our Staff, our Apartments, the Hotel's Location and Doppio Zero Restaurant. This is always communicated to all Managers and the floor, and I can assure you our Staffing compliment is always dying to have feedback from you our Guests :). In particular I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback on the Room and Bathroom standards, as this assists me greatly in ensuring a good standard is maintained. We have already rectified all the issues with a good cleaning session, I am replacing all bath plugs with new "clicker" units and we have made the bedside lamp switches more visible to our Guests.