“Disappointing stay, tatty hotel”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Umhlanga Rocks, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa
“Disappointing stay, tatty hotel”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

although the hotel in well located in central down town Cape Town our stay was a comedy of errors. our key cards kept needing to be programmed as they lost their code. room was tatty and dirty and in a bad state of repair. would i re-visit NO!

Room Tip: do not chose W601, doors broken, balcony door broken, bins broken! lots of noise
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Nicky R,
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I have taken note of your disappointing stay with concern, to say the least.
I have read through all your comments via Tripadvisor, Facebook and our E-guest Survey, and did in fact inspect the Apartment myself afterwards. The maintenance issues mentioned have all been rectified, and yes fair enough this should have been done before your stay I agree. The marks requested to be cleaned meant removal of tiles and has been completed already, as well as the repairs to the louvers. The issue with the Key cards have also been rectified, and my Front Desk Team can only apologize for not having spare key cards at the Desk on that particular shift, as should be the case. I would very definitely like to correct what has gone wrong with your stay, to regain your confidence in our product and the quality of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future, where I would be more than happy to offer you a complimentary upgrade into our newly refurbished Superior Apartments.
Best regards and safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a great hotel, in the heart of the city, with many services and facilities for customers. One of the few hotels that I can say that you get value for money!

My apartment on the 7th floor was very quiet, huge! with classy decoration, and very comfortable. It has a fully equipped kitchen. Vaddaboom!, very luminous and with great views of Table Mountain. The leaving area and kitchen were conjoined but were huge in size, with two couches, a big dining table, flat screen TV + DVD, three coffee tables, some coffee table magazines, and what is not. The bedroom had a full closet with a big sized safe (I almost fainted - a full closet!), plus several drawers and side tables in the room. The bathroom had separated shower and bathtub, a small selection of good quality toiletries and a hair drier.

Some of the heating buttons on the wall warm up the floor underneath the carpet and it is just wonderful walking barefoot! Not enough? All the apartment had plenty of power points, so recharging or plugging many gadgets at the same time was not a problem.

The apartment was spotless clean and fully serviced every day.

All the staff were very helpful, welcoming and lovely, especially the ones at reception. My especial thanks to Moses, with dealt with many of my queries and issues and did always so with attentiveness and professionalism.

GOODIES
++ Located in front of the cathedral, by the local gardens, the always busy St George Mall, and many of the must-see sights of the city, the Three Cities Rhodes was a home away from home during my stay in Cape Town.
++ Great gym
++ Wonderful pool and pool area
++ Great view of Table Mountain from the aviary.
++ An office of Cape Town Tourism in the building, in front of reception.
++ Most tour companies pick up and drop off this hotel.
++ Long opening hours classy good-quality South-African-made gift shop.
++ Intelligent and safe access to the lifts and floors.
+ Several supermarkets around.
++ Two cafes in the building: Doppio Zero and Motherland.
++ In-house Spa, the Wellness Club Spa. The Spa has fabulous premises, a glamorous reception, a very welcoming and lovely lady owner, and great staff. They open long hours, are very accommodating about anything, and accept cash, credit or in-room bill. I had one of the best remedial massage ever by a Chinese experience masseur, and a lovely Thalgo facial by a local therapist. The body scrub was sub par, though. I loved their steam room (perfect temperature!) and rest rooms.

SO SO
# The air-con and ventilation system were very noisy.
# Free Wi-Fi is limited to 100 MB per day.

UNACCEPTABLE
-- I tried to make some phone calls from my room. The line was engaged all the time. Upon checking out, I was told that I had to pay 12 Rands because it showed that somebody had replied, perhaps a voice mail service. Nothing of that happened. The sum is very small, but paying for not speaking is never good. The guy at reception was lovely and sorted out things for me, so I did not have to pay anything.
-- My last hours at the hotel were quite upsetting. Checking out time is 11am. At 9am the lady at the tour desk called to tell me to be at the lobby at 10.45 to get my transfer to the airport ( I found it odd, as I had arranged things the previous day) A few minutes later one of the ladies working at housekeeping tried to open the door, when I opened from inside she apologised and said that she thought I have left... well it was not 11am and I had not checked out, how on earth did she come with that idea? Ten minutes later a couple of guys rang the bell asking to enter the apartment to fix whatever, I told them NO, to come after I vacate the room. Ten minutes later, again!, a cleaner rang the bell and asked me when could come to do the room. I felt that they were trying to speed up my departure. This sort of behaviour is unprofessional and unacceptable for a four star hotel, as this is not a charity shelter. I don't want to feel pushed out of my room, one I paid, because housekeeping wants to hurry up.

IF THIS WERE MY HOTEL I WOULD...
>> Provide customers with disposable sleepers and wardrobe. This is a four star hotel and one expects these things to be there.
>> I would have a scourer and better quality dish-washing liquid in the kitchen.
>> I would add a lamp in the living room area, as the light is dim and not good in the evenings for people with poor sight, like me.
>> I would live up the apartment regarding colours.
>> I would make sure that you have more power adaptors for Australian customers. This is a problem throughout Southern Africa, as many of the Universal adaptors would fit the two-pin plugs, but not the three pin ones, which are standard in Australia.
>> I would provide a shuttle to the Waterfront is great, but then guests have to return by taxi. It would be great if the hotel had its own van, at scheduled times, even if they charge you a few Rands per head.
>> I would place the safe mid level in the shelves not in on the floor one as using it tourned out to be a bit of a nuisance.
>>I would give strict instructions to housekeeping not to disturb customers until they check out and reception has the keys of the apartment.

Room Tip: The upper you go the better view you have of Table Mountain
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Spaussiesh
Dear Spaussiesh,
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will also be sure to pass your kind words to my Staffing compliment, and a big thank you for this. I did however read through your comments about my Housekeeping Team with concern, and can only humbly apologize for their behavior. This truly is not our standard, and I'm sure the standard you are used to, and it has already been rectified through my Executive Housekeeper. We always strive towards respecting our Guests' privacy and honoring their requests as far as possible. Thank you for your comments about how you would change things at our Hotel, they do come in handy with regards to our Guests' preferences and "likes" ..... and will be taken into account with future planning of facilities etc.
Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

I recently attended a conference in CPT and decided to stay near the conference venue rather than in family accommodation. The Three cities Mandela Rhodes Place was a perfect stay! The apartment was HUGE and the area amazing with a incredible view of Table Mountain from my balcony. The area is quiet and safe and the convenience of location, in- house parking for the rented car was perfect.
The staff was PROFESSIONAL, helpful and extremely pleasant!!!
Accommodation was affordable and great value for money
Thank you 3 cities Mandela Rhodes!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank globaltraveller20110
Dear globaltraveller20110
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I had one of the best hotel stays in this hotel! I had one of the best apartments.. The apartment style is perfect when traveling for longer periods and with friends or family what with separate lounge, dining, kitchen and bedroom. It really feels like home away from home. It has all the amenities such as washing machine, a stove, crockery and cutlery, you can actually cook in a hotel! Comfortable space all around. Best views of Table mountain and the City from the 10th floor. Perfect location in the City, you can walk pretty much to everywhere. Long street with its nightlife is one street away.

Will definitely be coming back again!

Room Tip: Like everyone has said, be sure to ask for a room on the Chambers side and preferably higher up in t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Voyageuse-GP
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I really loved the rooms. The hotels location is great. The staff are very friendly. The Taj is next door and you have your food there charged to your room.

The only things stopping me from giving this hotel 5 stars the very expensive internet and poor amount of hot water. You get 100mb a day free and it's 174 rand for 3 gb. I eat data so this wasn't ideal. The shower is hot for approximately 5 mins too.

Stayed July 2014
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Aziz S,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. In response, we are increasing the Complimentary Wifi to 200 Megs per day, and will attend to the cost of additional vouchers. I have asked my Maintenance manager to look into the hot water supplies and why the amount is so limited, which it really should not be. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, as we need this sort of detailed feedback, good or bad.
österreich
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Excellent staff and room service. You get so much for a little price. Breakfast is very good. No problems with the rooms. Perfect service. The location is very good and a very good place to start sightseeing tours :)

• Stayed April 2014
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Cityhopperin2014
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your message to my Staff, thank you.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. But the start was not so good. We booked our rooms via an agency in Cape Town. Then we add another room the day before check in for our another friend. We went to hotel but unfortunately they couldnt find the last room altough we have confirmation number and paid in advance. After an hour later, they offered to send our friend to another hotel nearby which we didnt accept. We said that then cancel all rooms we will find another hotel but they didnt accept. So more or less we waited 2 hours in reception. On the other hand, the apartment rooms was comfortable.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Ece B
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I have taken note of your comments on the difficulty with Reservations, and can assure you I am looking into this and will rectify what has gone wrong. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.