“A great apartment, perfect location, good service, could be cleaner”

Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel
Ranked #40 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We had a flawless check-in experience, staff was friendly both porter and frontdesk. We loved the size of the room, dryer and washer is handy. They also sell the laundry powder at minimal costs. We did not have the opportunity to have breakfast at Doppio Zero as we were picked up early morning by our tour guide. But had a chance to sample a cappuccino and sandwich for lunch from Motherland Coffee company and it was superb!

The only let down was the mould in the ceiling in our bathroom and the fact that the sliding wooden door is broken - so no privacy in the toilet, which not a big issue if you are a couple, but probably is an issue for family travellers or friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear 09S,
Thank you for visiting Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel & Spa recently. My Team and I are delighted to note from your survey, that you enjoyed your stay with us! 
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I sincerely apologize for the broken sliding door and the mouldy spots in the ceiling, which have been rectified already. The shutters can be problematic at times, and we are looking into replacing them.
Best regards and safe travels!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,050)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

it is in the middle of the city! perfect location! everything within walking distance! clean rooms! excellent service! two super markets nearby. The hop on off bus stop 2 minutes from the hotel! we were there in winter time and because of the size of the rooms it is perfectly fine to stay inside for a day without feeling trapped in a cage!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear 387 Nina77,

Reviewed 12 August 2014

The apartment was perfect for us - a family with two teenagers. The location was super for exploring "downtown" Cape Town and the staff helpful. And, the washer/dryer was a real bonus. We were disappointed that our room did not have the city view that we paid extra for when we booked, but despite that would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view with the hotel when you book

Dear Mary J,

It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words to all of my Staffing compliment, many thanks. I do apologize for the lack of your City view, and I have updated your profile to include this on your nest stay with us. We were blessed with very high Hotel occupancies over the last few months, which means we unfortunately cannot always offer that spectacular view to all. Sorry about that, but definitely next time I promise.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Spotlessly clean, well equipped.
Generous sized lounge/dinning area.
Modern furniture in good condition.
Fabulous underfloor heating and quiet air conditioning (very welcome in an icy cold, wet and windy Cape Town)
But the real treasure of this hotel is its staff.
The service and "2nd mile" attitude of all the staff was absolutely excellent.
Special thanks to both front office and to house keeping staff.
We had arrived after midnight with a very ill child. We needed to get some coke to prevent her from getting dehydrated...no problem for a very kind gentleman at reception, to run out and find coke in the early hours of the morning.
His cheerfulness (sorry I forget his name)and kindness is much appreciated. He even arranged for a Dr Who was on 24 hr call.
Also special thanks to the house keeping staff who assisted us....always fast and with a smile.

Such excellent service is rare.
We needed an extra day...which meant having to change rooms since the hotel was full.
Once again the staff made it easy for us...assisting by storing our luggage and transferring us as soon as possible.
Thank you to an excellent team for helping us at a very difficult time.

Room Tip: High up in the towers
1  Thank Sharrydk

Dear Sharrydk,

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We were very impressed by the quality and value of our stay. All staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much for them. The apartment was very spacious providing everything you need after a long day exploring the Cape Town area. Brilliant view of Table Mt from the living room and balcony. We would most definitely recommend this hotel and will be staying again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 73HappyTravellers,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed at Mandela Rhodes in a deluxe apartment for 3 nights in June, 2014. It was a perfect start for our South African holiday. The apartment was clean, spacious and well maintained. We used the washing machine and dryer in the apartment and it was trouble free.

The kitchenette was well-equipped and the pizza place downstairs was convenient and served delicious pizzas. The location is central and a Pick N Pay department store was 5 minutes from here

The staff and the travel desk were friendly and helpful

Considering all that we got out of it, it was excellent value and we would be very happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Go for the apartments if you intend to stay for a few days
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Sounderramans,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will be sure to pass your kind words on to my Staff, as they always enjoy getting feedback from our beloved Guests :)

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed in apartment T904 as a family recently. Huge apartment, good value for money, handy location to markets, food lovers court, downtown attractions. Parking easy in the attached parking building. Cons would be very limited internet (100mb free daily), only a view of the pool from this apartment, and with a family of four you didn't want to be last in the shower or it was cold. Also couldn't find the microwave and the cupboards weren't particularly clean (flour in there from a previous visitor), but rest of apartment cleaned and well serviced daily.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
William d, General Manager at Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear NZcowcocky,
It makes me extremely proud when we have lived up to the ethos of “Ubuntu” and by doing so, created an exceptional experience for our Guests. This in turn will hopefully ensure that Mandela Rhodes Place becomes your “home” when visiting Cape Town. I will most definitely pass your kind words to my Staff as well, and thank you. I do apologize for the limited Complimentary wifi on offer, this has recently been increased to 150 Megs per day, and will most definitely be increased again in the near future. My Executive Housekeeper has also been notified about the dirty cupboard, and this has been rectified immediately.