“Fire and Ice aka Robbin Island”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #80 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 30 March 2011

experienced some of the worst customer service ever in this hotel.
Bar staff rude and very unhelpful, consistantly lacking beers, wine, and food options, no manager to speak to about these issues. Reception staff tried dealing with my complaints, still waiting for some feedback. Asked for hotel manager, whom i am yet to see (do they even have one?) wouldnt reccommed this place to any one, you'd be better of on Robbin Island.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank cookie_mac
Janneman B, Deputy General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2015

Thank you for your feedback.

Deputy General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 28 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in January 2011. I didnt use the restaurant as I was room only. The reception staff were very attentive & happy to assist & support you with requests related to getting around tours etc at your will. Very pleasant people without exception..
The rooms are well appointed, clean & serviced to an excellent standard. I can also personally vouch for the security of this hotel & the honesty of staff as I was foolish enough to mistakenly go out & leave my room safe open. As result the room maid reported this to the head of security who changed my code & then addresed the matter with me on my return. Importantly a substantial amount of cash jewellery etc was absolutely untouched.
The standard of the gym in this hotel is also high with new wide ranging & functional equipment.
The downsides are that if you are looking to relax by sunbathing then this is not for you as a hotel because there is merely an infinity pool with two loungers & no more. Secondly the bar staff were not becoming of the high standard set by other staff being slow & much less cheery than others in this overall quite impressive hotel for a 3*. More like a 4* I believe!!!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank united01

Thank you for your feedback. Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

I had the misfortune to book a few nights at said hotel.... They only had ONE type of red or white wine available in the bar, and even worse when I ordered a galss of the red, they came back 40 minutes later saying I coulod not have wine as they had no wine glasses. This is totally appauling given the Cape area is know of its wine , and you can buy value wine glasses round the corenr and the pterol station nearbby sells more variety of fuel than they do wine.There was no appology or even shame with the staff...

THe next day using the lift from the basement to the 4th floor the lift doors opened and i saw trays of rotting room sewrvice food clearly juist dumped behind a door in the corridor that led to the lifts.

Again, the mamanegment didnt really care and were not interested. NIce boutique hotel if you likie fixtures and fittings but one of the worst places i have ever stayed in. Dreadful..A real embarisment for South Africa...

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank loyangalani

Thank you for your feedback. Your comments have been noted and rest assured corrected measures have been taken.

Reviewed 27 March 2011

We stayed at the Fire and Ice for two nights on our visit to Cape Town. The hotel staff was friendly and we had good service. The milkshakes are a must and we enjoyed spending time dining outside on the patio. Expensive amenities including laundry, phone calls, and food. However, it was a nice treat.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know how you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 23 March 2011

We stayed at Fire and Ice for one night and were initially pleased with our choice as the hotel looked really funky! However we soon realised we had arrived in Cape Town on the night before a big cycling event which meant for a very busy reception which seemed a bit manic! Anyway we were early so our room wasn’t ready so we dumped bags and headed out. Location was great (if you have a car) for table mountain and city centre but I wouldn't have liked to walk as very hilly to get anywhere.
Was a little disappointed in our room when we did get it as it was tiny, main reason I suggest it is more of a business hotel as it is nice to feel comfortable in your room and I felt like we were tripping over each other!
Also bad nights sleep as randomly room didn’t have curtains so light was pouring in early morning and also noise form some sort of event going on at the pool area which was annoying!
Anyway, this is starting to sound really negative but I think we came on a busy night which was a shame as most issues were maybe due to this.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know how you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

We stayed here for 5 nights and really enjoyed it. The hotel design is quirky, but does not take itself too seriously (check out the toilets in the bar area!!)
The staff thoughout our stay from arrival to departure were all really friendly and helpful.
As others have said the hotel is only a few minutes walk to Long Street which is full of bas and restaurants used by the locals. We felt quite safe walking too and fro even quite late into the evening for anyone who may have concerns about this. Because of this, we only ate breakfast at the hotel itself, which was very good.
It's about 30 mins walk to the V&A (all down hill but quite a way in hot weather). The hotel will arrange one of their taxis for 50 Rand.
The room itself was very comfortable and no technical problems at all.
Small swimming pool available and a huge plus was free internet access - wifi for those who have their own laptop and 3 guest computers also available. Definitely a good place to stay in Capetown providing excellent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Janneman B, Deputy General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2015

Thank you for your feedback.

We glad you had a wonderful stay !

See you soon !

Reviewed 10 March 2011

It was with great excitement that I asked our business travel agent to book the Fire and Ice in Cape Town having heard so much about it. The hotel itself is quite eccentric in its decor and although not a personal favourite in terms of style...I am always open to new and interesting experiences. My major issues with the hotel were around service which (for a hotel that charges what it does) should be near faultless.

WHAT WAS GREAT

The food was of great quality and I enjoyed every meal that I had at the hotel, the creativity applied to each meal was appreciated. The bar staff downstairs were especially friendly and ensured all my requirements were tended to.

Welcome note from General Manager and free drink
This was a good personal touch and nice to know that I was being expected

Shower pressure
Very seldom do you find hotels where the shower experience is this great, it really was rejuvenating and possibly the highlight of my stay

WHAT WAS TERRIBLE

Room service:
I called the number provided on the phamphlet in the room for most of the day and my calls went unanswered, I tried callinf reception and the phone just kept ringing.
Eventually when I called reception again the following day, they advised me that I shouldnt be calling the number on the phamplet and was given an alternate number. Why was I not told of this when I checked in because I was given misleading information which led to my experience being less than great.

Wrong wake up call
Being in Cape Town on a shoot which ended in the early hours (2am) of the morning, I was surprised to get a 6:30am wake-up that I had not requested and as a result was not able to get back to sleep after that interruption.

Room in general
There was a desk but no chair, luckily because I worked from my bed most of the time - it didnt pose a major issue but it would have been great to have it as an option

Maintainenance
I placed a call to reception informing them that my remote was not working, 45 min and 3 calls later no one had responded to my call. Whilst I was quite irritated that it took so long, what was more disconcerting was that no one bothered to call and check that my issue had been resolved. Its only after I threw a mini tantrum that the person at reception managed the issue.

It will definitely not be a first choice or a place I would recommend unless the above issues of service are addressed. When the people at your first line of service aren't providing you with the experience that reflects what the hotel sells, calling the General Manager does not change the experience and therefore chose not take more time out of my hectic day send my complaints to him. I could complain about extravagant decor, room design etc but I can live with those things because sometimes its about personal taste and those elements are not variable however it was highly disappointing to experience such service and a lack of attention to detail at a Hotel that is meant to be SO HOT!" I think NOT!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank LindaniMbali
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2011

Dear Ms Mnyandu,

Firstly I would like to sincerely thank you for bringing your recent experience of the Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town to my attention. It is important to know when we are doing well but even more important to know when we don't. At Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town we always endeavor to meet and exceed our GUEST's every expectation, It seems however that in this case we dropped the ball. The issues mentioned above are most certainly not in line with our GUEST service vision.
Please be assured that the issues mentioned are enjoying our very urgent attention and wherever possible have already been resolved.

As per our telephonic discussion I would like to apologise for any inconvenience or embarassment you might have experienced as a result of any negligence on our part.

I genuinely appreciate the oppertunity to rectify what has gone wrong here and we look forward to welcoming you back to Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town in the no too distant future.

If you have any further questions or suggestions in this regard, please do not hesiate to contact me.

Johan Cronjé