We have just had a 12 day stay at the Protea Fire and Ice so I feel that I can give a very accurate and fair report about the quality of the service and facilities of this hotel.
Our family group consisted of eight people, ranging in age from 17-84, spread across 4 rooms (two superior and two standard) on three separate floors.
I cannot stress how delighted we were with all aspects of this wonderful little hotel. It is perfectly placed at the top end of Long Street, close to all the little shops, quirky/vintage boutiques and bars.
Before we stayed at the hotel, I had read all the reviews, some good, some not so good so now that I have stayed at the Protea Fire and Ice, I am a little confused about the negative comments.
The main criticism has been that the rooms are small so we were well prepared for this; however, despite their size,the rooms were very stylishly decorated, extremely well-equipped and beautifully clean. The bed was very large and very comfortable, and the sheets were changed daily. My father-in-law's pillows were replaced immediately with hypoallergenic pillows once we realised that he was allergic to the feather pillows. Our room had an in-suite shower cubicle but this wasn't a problem at all for us. More importantly, the shower was larger than normal with excellent water pressure and heat. The toilet is in a separate cubicle with a door. The coloured lighting in the room was very funky yet there was still enough normal lighting for putting on make-up. There were some lovely touches in the room like the massive safe big enough to accommodate an ipad and my large handbag! The safe also had a power point so that phones etc could be charged whilst in the safe. I also loved the pin-up board in the room so I could display our itinerary, pamphlets, maps etc. Tea and coffee making facilities were handy. Towels and hand-towels were very large. We used the gym daily and although small, it was modern and well-equipped. The bar prices were a little high but this wasn't a huge problem. Capuccinos and hot chocolate drinks were very reasonably priced. We also loved the tasty complimentary generous bar snacks! One of the nicest areas of the hotel was the lounge. What a buzzy and beautifully comfortable area this was! Trendy decor with lots of large soft sofas and comfortable arm-chairs. We really enjoyed relaxing in this area whilst waiting for each other or at the end of an evening for a quiet drink.
There were occasional problems with our room, for example, the light globe in our toilet needed replacing and our shower was not draining properly but all these problems were dealt with immediately and efficiently. In the time that we stayed there, we became very familiar with all the staff from the doormen and cleaning staff, to the reception and bar staff. The service given was of the highest standard possible and we were always treated with respect and great warmth.
As breakfast was not included in our room rate (we got an amazing internet deal), we had breakfast almost every morning at Crust down the road. What a fantastic and brilliantly priced little coffee shop run by such a friendly owner. We had the most superb freshly cooked full English breakfast every morning for around 50 Rand per person including tea, coffee etc. The creamy oats with sliced banana, honey and cinnamon was to die for!!
Undercover parking is available at the hotel. Although it was reasonably priced, it was simpler and easier for us to park our hire car on the road outside the hotel within view of the doormen.
All in all, the Protea Fire and Ice was a fantastic place to stay in Cape Town and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the moment you step into the lobby of this edgy Tamboerskloof, Cape Town hotel, you will be greeted by the welcoming sounds of deep house lounge beats and immersed into a world of best GUEST service known to mankind. Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town is ideally situated in the heart of Cape Town and a mere 5 minutes from the V&A Waterfront. Set within walking distance of tourist attractions such as the hip night life of Long Street as well as 15 minutes from Cape Town's famous beaches, Camps Bay and Clifton. Mingle with fellow GUESTS and locals at the renowned Communal Table, or enjoy our crisp glass bar, a coffee brewery by day and party ticket by night featuring signature cocktails. Our snug yet sexy rooms are modern and trendy and features all the bells and whistles needed to ensure the comfiest stay. Your cheeky bedroom, ranging from 18 m² - 23 m² (remember that saying about dynamite?) comes standard with the most comfortable king size beds and is the base from which you can explore our slick social spaces and beautiful Mother City This is Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, Cape Town's Hottest Place to Chill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Fire And Ice! Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! By Marriott Cape Town South Africa
- Protea Hotel Cape Town
- Extreme Hotel Cape Town