“Gorgeous little hotel”

Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Perth, Australia
“Gorgeous little hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

We have just had a 12 day stay at the Protea Fire and Ice so I feel that I can give a very accurate and fair report about the quality of the service and facilities of this hotel.
Our family group consisted of eight people, ranging in age from 17-84, spread across 4 rooms (two superior and two standard) on three separate floors.
I cannot stress how delighted we were with all aspects of this wonderful little hotel. It is perfectly placed at the top end of Long Street, close to all the little shops, quirky/vintage boutiques and bars.
Before we stayed at the hotel, I had read all the reviews, some good, some not so good so now that I have stayed at the Protea Fire and Ice, I am a little confused about the negative comments.
The main criticism has been that the rooms are small so we were well prepared for this; however, despite their size,the rooms were very stylishly decorated, extremely well-equipped and beautifully clean. The bed was very large and very comfortable, and the sheets were changed daily. My father-in-law's pillows were replaced immediately with hypoallergenic pillows once we realised that he was allergic to the feather pillows. Our room had an in-suite shower cubicle but this wasn't a problem at all for us. More importantly, the shower was larger than normal with excellent water pressure and heat. The toilet is in a separate cubicle with a door. The coloured lighting in the room was very funky yet there was still enough normal lighting for putting on make-up. There were some lovely touches in the room like the massive safe big enough to accommodate an ipad and my large handbag! The safe also had a power point so that phones etc could be charged whilst in the safe. I also loved the pin-up board in the room so I could display our itinerary, pamphlets, maps etc. Tea and coffee making facilities were handy. Towels and hand-towels were very large. We used the gym daily and although small, it was modern and well-equipped. The bar prices were a little high but this wasn't a huge problem. Capuccinos and hot chocolate drinks were very reasonably priced. We also loved the tasty complimentary generous bar snacks! One of the nicest areas of the hotel was the lounge. What a buzzy and beautifully comfortable area this was! Trendy decor with lots of large soft sofas and comfortable arm-chairs. We really enjoyed relaxing in this area whilst waiting for each other or at the end of an evening for a quiet drink.
There were occasional problems with our room, for example, the light globe in our toilet needed replacing and our shower was not draining properly but all these problems were dealt with immediately and efficiently. In the time that we stayed there, we became very familiar with all the staff from the doormen and cleaning staff, to the reception and bar staff. The service given was of the highest standard possible and we were always treated with respect and great warmth.
As breakfast was not included in our room rate (we got an amazing internet deal), we had breakfast almost every morning at Crust down the road. What a fantastic and brilliantly priced little coffee shop run by such a friendly owner. We had the most superb freshly cooked full English breakfast every morning for around 50 Rand per person including tea, coffee etc. The creamy oats with sliced banana, honey and cinnamon was to die for!!
Undercover parking is available at the hotel. Although it was reasonably priced, it was simpler and easier for us to park our hire car on the road outside the hotel within view of the doormen.
All in all, the Protea Fire and Ice was a fantastic place to stay in Cape Town and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank saljb
Janneman B, Deputy General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 20 July 2015

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 30 April 2011

Nice Hotel. The check-in was fast and friendly. The room was clean and the overall experience fun. The Milkshakes are great.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank GAP15

Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The hotel was not the same standard as the pictures make out.

we stayed in an executive suite, which is smaller than pictures and actually very basic

the reception area is lovely and bar and drinks are brilliant. FOOD IS NOT ADVISED I PREFER TO EAT OUTSIDE HOTEL.

use safes as i stayed in one and only and was robbed and card cloned. So i advise safes.

long street is right out side hotel and down the bottom on this road (steap) and then right.
Lovely bars dont take valuables out with you on a night, security issues.

a lot of beggers in the street, dont want money but want you to buy them lunch.

street markets some of the market workers are angry if you dnt buy from them, so dont spend too long on one store.

i would rate hotel a high 3* not quite a 4* but well worth the money spent on it !!! (we obviously got it cheaper but standard price is fair)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindz_Travel_Agent

New York
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I stayed at the Fire and Ice Hotel with my mother while visiting my brother who is studying in Cape Town. This energetic hotel is a must! It is located a few blocks from vibrant Long Street and the rest of the City is easily accessible from this location.
The trendy and funky vibe was a fun vacation escape. The breakfast room has an entire wall that is a fish tank. You also must check out the creative bathrooms in the lobby.
The general manager, Johan, really has gone above and beyond to ensure his guests are comfortable. The entire staff was friendly and accomadating.
Their pool does not have many lounge chairs but we also were so busy sight seeing we didnt have time to lay out. They also had a very clean and nice gym which i appreciated greatly after eating all the good food Cape Town has to offer!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Sydney
Reviewed 1 April 2011

We booked the Fire & Ice because it is known as one of the most funky hotels in Cape Town which sure enough it is. The problem though is that as a HOTEL or place of accommodation, Fire & Ice is seriously lacking in many ways compared to other hotels in South Africa and indeed by international standards.

The Good Bits:
- The hotel is very funky. There is a good vibe in the lobby and in the public areas of the hotels. The lifts and the toilets are crazy funny which evokes lots of conversation.
- The free in-room wifi is great. Very fast service
- Location is in a good area of Cape Town. Two blocks from Long Street and very close to shopping. Also great view of Table Mountain from the hotel

The Bad Bits:
- The serious lack of customer service is like almot unbelievable.. The front desk staff are rude and couldn't be bothered to help you at all. Some examples are that we stayed for 5 days, only TWICE did anyone bother to look up from the desk to say "hello" or "good morning" during our entire stay. I asked the Front Desk staff where Watson Street was - she didn't know nor did she offer to look it up on a map for me. Turns out that Watson Street is less than 100 metres from the hotel's front door and they didn't know where it was. I also enquired about the Tourist Refund Scheme and no one at the front desk even knew what I was talking about. That seems very odd to me, as working in the hospitality industry you'd like you'd know street names, restaurants, info about the airport. In the end I gave up asking for anything from the front desk staff all together. Save yourself the trouble.
- The rooms are tiny. If you have ever been to NYC, then the hotels rooms here are around the same or perhaps even smaller than these (we stayed in a Superior room so I'd hate to see what a Standard room looks like)
- Hot water in the room takes about 5-10 mins to heat up. Too bad if you really want to have a shower urgently because you'll be waiting a while
- Security - we stayed on the 1st floor and had security knock on the door or call every time we went out onto the balcony as the hotel had experienced people scaling the side of the building to break into the rooms via tha balcony. There is a CCV monitor from the balcony, but it does make you think about youyr safety as a traveler
- The internet room on the ground floor is adjoined to the smokers room and they share a common air con vent which means that if you're using the free hotel internet, you may as well be using the internet from inside the smokers room because it is that repulsive

I wouldn't recommend booking this hotel for anyone who is after customer service, friendly staff or staff who have a solid knowledge of Cape Town. The novelty of the hotel itself wears off very quickly - trust me

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank debsopinion

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2011

experienced some of the worst customer service ever in this hotel.
Bar staff rude and very unhelpful, consistantly lacking beers, wine, and food options, no manager to speak to about these issues. Reception staff tried dealing with my complaints, still waiting for some feedback. Asked for hotel manager, whom i am yet to see (do they even have one?) wouldnt reccommed this place to any one, you'd be better of on Robbin Island.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank cookie_mac

Nassington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in January 2011. I didnt use the restaurant as I was room only. The reception staff were very attentive & happy to assist & support you with requests related to getting around tours etc at your will. Very pleasant people without exception..
The rooms are well appointed, clean & serviced to an excellent standard. I can also personally vouch for the security of this hotel & the honesty of staff as I was foolish enough to mistakenly go out & leave my room safe open. As result the room maid reported this to the head of security who changed my code & then addresed the matter with me on my return. Importantly a substantial amount of cash jewellery etc was absolutely untouched.
The standard of the gym in this hotel is also high with new wide ranging & functional equipment.
The downsides are that if you are looking to relax by sunbathing then this is not for you as a hotel because there is merely an infinity pool with two loungers & no more. Secondly the bar staff were not becoming of the high standard set by other staff being slow & much less cheery than others in this overall quite impressive hotel for a 3*. More like a 4* I believe!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo