“Wow! Cool, hip, stylish - great location!”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #80 of 112 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We have spent three nights in one of the executive suites located in the adjacent building to the Fire & Ice Hotel. The two floor suite was amazing with very stylish interior. The basement bedroom as well as the upper floor second bedroom with ensuite baths were absolutely stunning, each equipped with a big flat TV screen at the end of the bed. We really appreciated the complimentary coffee machine with fresh beans in the kitchen area and loved the living room area with cosy sofas and another TV. The huge window from floor to ceiling (over two floors!) was awesome and we could spot Lion's Hill from there. The breakfast was wonderful, offering everything you could wish for and the cappuccinos were fantastic. We also ate one night at the restaurant and were not disappointed either. Very good food in a lovely environment, with a big fish tank stretching along one side of the restaurant. Although very many employees, service is sometimes a bit slow in the restaurant but always nice. And don't forget to try the milkshakes - they're outstanding and a definite must do thing in the bar area. Last but not least: Don't miss the toilets in the hotel, each with its own motto :-)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2012

Dear GUEST,

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the experience and thank you for highlighting some of our very unique selling points.

Your comments are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town again soon.

Johan Cronjé

Write a ReviewReviews (1,032)

Reviewed 14 November 2011

It was truly a pleasure to stay at this hotel. They over exceeded our expectations . The Loft apartment was amazing and surprisingly as good if not better than the pics we saw online. It is conveniently located near long street. Would surely recommend any family or group of friends to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Dear GUEST,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town. I am very pleased you enjoyed the experience.

I would like to thank you very much for your awesome comments and assure you that i will congratulate the TEAM for a job well done!

Reviewed 13 November 2011

I have already stayed in the Standard room, Superior & Apartments and have been very pleased with all three settings. This Hotel to me is a true icon of Urban Lifestyle with a fun Protea feel. One of the receptionists remembered me from a prior stay assisted me perfectly. All the staff have been extremely helpful whilst the hotel was extremely busy I never once got the feeling that I wasn't important in any way.

I truly love this hotel and have made it my first choice when visiting Cape Town.

Keep it up guys I think you are writing the rules for a very demanding and ever changing industry.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Dear GUEST,

Thank you so much for your awesome review on the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town. I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us!

Thank you for your words of appreciation. We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF you commended for their exemplary service.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and to hearing from you again!

Reviewed 11 November 2011

This hotel has some nice themes, a good bar and restaurant and is well situated. My room was brand-new and clean and I slept like a log. Good shower. Staff was very friendly and helpful. I was surprised to read some of the negative reviews as I did not have any bad experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Wintberg53

Dear GUEST,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town. I am very pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us.

GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I assure you that your comments are being used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service standards and facilities.

We were delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job and look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 October 2011

We stayed here at very short notice after a change of plans and the staff could not have been more helpful...all of them throughout our stay were marvellous.
The fabulous design and creativity running through the hotel was a joy to see and the milk shakes at the bar are a must!!
My only criticism of the hotel rooms was that the sound carried through to them very easily. I was next to the lift and could hear it open and shut all the time, though I soon got used to it so it wasn't that bad. So if they have a refurb a bit better sound proofing is the only thing I'd suggest they change, otherwise it's great.
Great location for a short walk to Long st for the restaurants and the tour bus stops near there too.

Room Tip: ask for one away from a lift if you're sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Janneman B, Deputy General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2015

Thank you for your feedback. Glad you had a wonderful stay with us. Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Rekha Sohun
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I were looking forward to our 3 night stay at the Protea Fire & Ice hotel in Cape Town as it looked different from any of the other 10 hotels that we'd be staying at on our honeymoon.

We weren't happy to get a smoking room after requesting non-smoking, the bathroom walls were filthy, and the floorboards around the sink and shower were warped and lifting. We also didn't get any soap in our room. (Note: the advertised 5 storey climbing wall was nowhere to be found.)

We set our own table at breakfast every morning and had to wait for staff to wash bowls as they don't seem to have enough dishes for a full restaurant. Room service wasn't any better: there's only one chair in the room and the food doesn't arrive on cart so there's nowhere to set up a meal for two. Furthermore, the staff member who brought our food to our room spilled it all over the tray and floor with no offer to bring us another meal. We salvaged what we could.

We had a nice stay at the Protea Knysna Quays but we will never return to Fire & Ice in Cape Town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2011

Dear GUEST

Firstly, I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to express the frustration that you experienced during your recent visit to Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town.
Please accept my sincere apologies for any discomfort, inconvenience of embarrassment you might have experienced as a result of any shortfall on our part.
Mostly I regret the fact that the quality of your stay did not live up to your expectation during a time in your lives that should have been seamless and special.
At Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town, we always endeavor to meet and exceed our GUEST'severy expectation. It seems however that on this occasion we not only let you down but also ourselves. Please be assured that the concerns that you have raised will enjoy our very urgent care and attention.
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the Protea Hotel Knysna Quays.

Reviewed 17 October 2011

The reception staff is great, make no mistake there, everyone was always friendly and helpful. The rooms are kind of cramped, I feel they are smaller than other Protea Hotels I have stayed in before but it must be said that what they lack in space, they attempt to make up in style. As for the style, you will either completely like it, or completely hate it. Its different, with a chandelier, showers with no closing doors and a bathroom with a frosted glass door. Each lift has a theme and it's fun to make use of the simple means of transportation.

Problems I have had with this hotel are the following:

Our air-conditioner constantly stopped working the entire week we stayed there. Although a quick call to reception fixed it during the day, at night it was quite problematic.

There are no doors to close the shower, constantly creating a flood of water whenever I took a shower. Had to use towels to clean it up afterwards, which I then needed to hang somewhere to dry, etc etc. Quite annoying.

Parking is a nightmare. I have heard this is a problem all over cape town but all I can say is, good luck if you have a SUV in that parking structure. You pay R40 a day, which I am told is very reasonable but some of the parking spots really require quite a bit of manoeuvring to fit the car.

Then.. R90 a hamburger... seriously??

When I booked initially, I was told a room is R1399 a night. Yet on the internet I was looking at a special for R899 a night. Only after I enquired about the special was I met with "O, you know about the promotion?" quote. Why did they not tell me about the promotion from the beginning?

A special mention must be made that the gym of the hotel is simply excellent. Decent music, clean and properly maintained equipment and a nice air conditioner all served to make your daily exercise a pleasurable one.

Room Tip: The standard room is really small, only use if you will not be spending a lot of time there Rooms f...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Perscrutator

Dear GUEST

hank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent experience of Protea Hotel Fire and Ice! Cape Town.

GUEST feedback is the one true yardstick by which we can measure our facilities and services. Please be assured that your comments, both positive and negative, will be used constructively to enhance the experience of all our GUESTS.
I sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Protea Hotel Fire &Ice! Cape Town, in the not too distant future.