“You can't have it all!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #77 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg
“You can't have it all!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

After a smooth check in , very friendly reception staff who took the time to explain the hotel facilities and service times and an appreciated early room allocation, I arrive in my room and despite booking the best available rate on the website ( I confirmed my booking is the best available rate with Luqman at the Protea Customer Care Centre - as all web bookings are best available rates) and the website promising:

1.A complimentary milkshake voucher per person

2. 150MB complimentary WiFi per day

3. 25% off all face & body treatments at the Hilton Spa Boutique

4. 25% discount on airport transfers

5. 10% discount on all other transfers

6. Complimentary inroom welcome gift

7. Complimentary newspaper daily

I have yet to receive numbers 1,3,4,5 and 6. I will report back should any of these materialize during my stay as this is day one of three. I declined number 2 as I have my own 3G service. Guests should not be expected to follow up on such extra's and the hotel should ensure that such extras are noted and acted on at check in.

First observations are that the room is clean and neat, the placement of the TV is strange as you cannot comfortably open the windows. The lifts are a novel idea and overall looks promising. I aim to taste and review each and every one of the "famous" 27 milkshakes over the next few days so watch this space!

So after posting that the “quiet lower floor rooms” were a reality, I then spent the entire evening being kept awake by what sounded like a dumbbell rolling back and forth on the ceiling of my room, I wonder if the gym is directly above my room (117)

I then (for the first time ever) packed my bags and prepared to check out a day early, before being offered another room on the 5th floor with zero view of Table Mountain (I guess you cant have it all). In my previous room you could clearly see that there are design challenges at this hotel with the toilet coming away from the wall, pieces from the shower floor coming apart (and poorly glued back on!) etc etc. All in all you get the feeling that the “trendy” factor has been chosen over the “good design for comfort” factor.

I am now in my new room, whose door has just been opened without knocking by a member of housekeeping. So I shall unpack and see what day 2 has in store for me!
So after reading my review on Trip Advisor on day 2, Front Office Manager Matthews Kepe, called me and explained that the Call Centre had given me the incorrect information when booking and apologized. He also offered me the value added items that I had initially expected to receive and made follow up calls to ensure that I was satisfied. At the restaurant the tripe and dumpling was out of this world and certainly recommended. On my third day reception allowed me a late check out (13:00 hrs) which is great. On the downside one of the WHITE towels had stains on it so there is a clear need for quality control on housekkeping/laundry. Also the hotels housekeeping staff deserve an award for the NOISIEST housekeeping team in Southern Africa, they have ZERO respect for guests who could be resting in the morning by the amount of shouting in corridors, laughing and general banging of doors while they service the rooms in the morning. This you can tell when staying in other hotels who go the extra mile to consider guests who might want to actually RELAX in their rooms in the morning.

It should not be assumed that by 9 am everyone is out of their rooms. Also , whilst I am greatful that a late (one o clock ) check out was allowed, surely this should be communicated to housekeeping so one does not have to deal with constant knocking on the door by housekeeping staff wanting to service the room an 12:20 and at 12:40!

So all in all things are looking up but I leave the Fire and Ice with mixed feelings about coming back! Time will tell! In the meantime if you want trend over comfort, vibe over peace and relaxation then this the hotel for you!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank JohannesburgTian
Janneman B, Deputy General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 20 July 2015
Thank you for your feedback. I have noted your comments and rest assured policies and procedures have once again, been reinforced to ensure nothing but superior service.

I trust that on your next visit to the Mother City, you will consider staying with us and allowing us to show you we are indeed serious about service.

Have a wonderful week.

Regards,

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The Capetown Fire and Ice is a hip and trendy hotel. Centrally located in in the Gardens area, lots of places to visit close by like markets and museums. This hotel has everything you need without being too imposing. Rooms are very stylish and comfortable. I would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are arriving prior to 14h00 do let the hotel know in advance and they can get your room ready...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear GUEST,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for pointing out some of our very unique selling points and mentioning how centrally located we are.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions in the past and really enjoy the place. I am into my second day of trying to make a booking as the credit card portal on the web site doesn't seem to work.
I phoned the hotel to book telephonically and was told I would be called back the next day (it was a Friday night). No call back on Saturday.
Long story short, called back Saturday, was assured would be sorted and booking would be made and then come straight back to me. LOL, several hours later I am still waiting.
Needless to say, even though I have stayed at the hotel several times, none of my details seem to be on their database.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gavin H
Thank you for your feedback. I have passed your feedback onto our Reservations Manager and she will address with her team.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Regards,

Depty General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

This hotel had everything it needs to tick the boxes but somehow lacked a little bit of something. The decor is amazing and this contributes to a young, fun and funky vibe. The gym is very good for a city hotel, the breakfasts are delicious and the cocktail bar provides a good place for pre-dinner drinks. The hotel is a good 20 minute walk down to the waterfront but very close to Loop Street which is full of bars and restaurants. Our room was on the 5th floor and fairly average in terms of space and facilities. The only thing I would say is that it was quite noisy, especiallly when the young group of travellers had a party through the night next door. We could hear traffic noise through the window and the wind whipped through the air con system too... that said, we'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna C
Thank you for your feedback and for letting us know how you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Deputy General Manager
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

This really is a lovely hotel if you are looking for convenience, great facilities & a fresh vibe to get you in the mood for going out. With their shark cage lift, and naked (almost) men plastered over the walls of the toilets it really is an experience staying here. Add that to undercover parking, lovely gym, heated pool, sun beds & great bar it really was a pleasure to stay here for the good & bad weather! Would definitely come again.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear GUEST

Thank you for your awesome review about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

We are delighted you had such a great stay! Thank you for pointing out some of our very unique selling points. We are glad you made use of our facilities and enjoyed the humour of the lifts and public toilets.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in future.

Kettering, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

Have just come back from the Fire and Ice, after spending 11 lovely days in Cape Town, the hotel is still the same, humour is still needed when staying there, the majority of the staff are still there, and most do more than required to make your holiday special, the food is excellent and i would recommend the Jaws Burger, also try the milkshakes in the bar, one draw back and I must stress its the only one , the reception staff, i know they have a hard job, but they do tend to forget things that might not be important to them, but mean alot to the guests, we travelled to the Fire and Ice, because my partner wanted to spend her 60th birthday somewhere special, last year for my birthday, the hotel put up birthday notices in the lobby togeather with balloons and a lovely birthday dessert, my partner was so impressed , she asked me if she could go back to the Fire and Ice, and I thought it would be just a great day for her, so i made sure i asked 3 of the reception staff if it could be done for her, and all said yes it would be no problem, one even writing it down, alas on the day of her birthday, nothing, I asked one of the staff, what had happened, and they told me it would be done on our return from our tour of Table Mountain, and Robbin Island...alas it was not,although a real gem in this hotel Wilshere did make sure later in the evening that my partner received a birthday dessert on hearing that nothing had been done for my partner, it did taint my partners birthday , when you leave you can put comments on their hot or not cards, which i did, I am not sure if the management read these, but i would recommend after talking to some other guests, that they look into the reception area, as this is in my opinion and a few other guests, the only area that is not up to par, which is a shame, because the other areas of the hotel are so excellent, from porters to chefs, and barmen to cleaners, these areas i cannot praise enough, and the management should be proud of these areas, just a pity one area can spoil the rest, having said all of this, I would recommend this hotel to all, and I and my partner will return there, hopefully this area will be dealt with by then.

Room Tip: Book a superior room with a table mountain view, you will not regret it
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear GUEST,

We are delighted to receive your compliments and we will certainly congratulate the STAFF you commended for their exemplary service.

We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong! Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us. Please be assured that your concerns are being addressed with the relevant management and STAFF within the reception department.

Your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us. Please feel free to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. We look forward to welcoming you to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and to hearing from you again!

George, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

If you into milkshakes and hot food, try the "Hot Hicky" with Lindt chocolate. #ITWILLBLOWYOURMIND

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear GUEST,

Thank you for the awesome review you wrote about your recent stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

Thank you for your compliments on our famous milkshakes, we are glad you enjoyed them!

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in future.