We ordered the La La Lamb (French trimmed lamb cutlets, marinated, grilled and served with a mint raita) for R130 and the Man Eater (300gram Sirloin steak, dusted in biltong and chilli powder, served with a merlot and rosemary jus) for R115
Our food took 40 minutes to arrive. First thing we noticed was that the food was luke warm and not hot as one would expect. We wondered whether the food had been left at the pass to get cold.
Both the lamb and the steak had been ordered "medium". Unforunately there was no pink anywhere in sight. Both arrived well done. In my opinion there is nothing worse than overcooked meat.
The steak was tough, cool, flakey and tasteless. The only thing which made it edible was the accompanying sauce.
The lamb was slightly more tasty - possibly due to the mint raita. When I'm expected to pay R130 for 3 small lamb cutlets, I expect it to be tasty and cooked to perfection.
An incredibly disappointing experience.
This was our first visit to the restaurant, so we have nothing to compare our experience to, but we were so disappointed we can't justify wanting to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the moment you step into the lobby of this edgy Tamboerskloof, Cape Town Hotel, you will be greeted by the welcoming sounds of deep house lounge beats and immersed into a world of best GUEST service known to mankind. This ultra-chic hotel is ideally situated in the heart of Cape Town and is a mere 5 minutes from the V&A Waterfront. Set within walking distance of tourist attractions such as the hip night life of Long Street as well as 15 minutes from Cape Town's famous beaches, Camps Bay and Clifton. Mingle with fellow GUESTS and locals at the renowned Communal Table, or enjoy our crisp glass bar, a coffee brewery by day and party ticket by night featuring signature milkshakes and cocktails. Our snug yet sexy rooms are modern and trendy and features all the bells and whistles needed to ensure the comfiest stay. Your cheeky bedroom, ranging from 18 m² - 23 m² (remember that saying about dynamite?) comes standard with the most comfortable king size beds and is the base from which you can explore our slick social spaces and beautiful Mother City This is Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town, Cape Town's Hottest Place to Chill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Fire And Ice! Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! By Marriott Cape Town South Africa
- Protea Hotel Cape Town
- Extreme Hotel Cape Town