“Beautiful Hotel,Maintenance problems”

Ranked #78 of 106 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Beautiful Hotel,Maintenance problems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

2 nd time I stayed here.I purposely booked a suite,to avoid heating/air condition problems.
1 air-con worked,the other didn't.We were burning up for 2 days.3 maintenance guys and
the supervisor!! no less tried to convince us there was no problem.Hello,intelligent people
know the difference between the fan blowing and the compressor not kicking in.
Rather,pay a little more and stay at the Crystal Towers!

Room Tip: don't stay here,but Protea president and Crystal Towers,are spot on.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear mattata1

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us!

Firstly, please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort caused due to the air-conditioning problems. Please be assured that your feedback is viewed in a serious light and I value this opportunity to share with you the actions taken as a result.

Unfortunately, we did encounter an air-conditioning problem during the December period. Since then we have done a full inspection and replaced the internal PC board and sensor. Going forward we will also ensure that our maintenance TEAM continuously do checks in order to ensure that GUESTS can sit back and chill at a comfortable temperature.

We know that this does not erase your experience, but we would welcome another opportunity to have you stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

I am glad you found the hotel beautiful and please make a point of saying hi during your next visit to Cape Town.

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We visited Cape Town for 2 weeks in December.

Initially, we had hoped to stay in an apartment but had to book a hotel because we booked accommodation too late. This in mind, we knew we weren't going to get exactly what we wanted.

Our two weeks at this hotel were OK but definitely could have been better for a 4* hotel.

Pros:
- staff were friendly and helpful
- location is great - it's near restaurants, bars, and sights in the city that can be easily walked to

Cons:
- on a few occasions, we returned to our room after it was cleaned and there weren't enough towels...we would then have to call reception and ask them to send someone with towels for us. After a long day, we were unable to shower and get ready for a night out until the person arrived with the towels and we waited more than a half hour on some occasions and so would have to call again and ask them to send someone right away.
- no fridge in our room - we didn't notice this was missing on the list of amenities until we got to the room and looked again at our booking...this is ranked as a 4* hotel and we have never stayed in a 4* hotel which did not have a mini bar so this caught us off guard ... staying there for 2 weeks, a fridge to keep a few snacks (i.e. fruit, yogurt, etc.) would have been useful
- the hotel did a very poor job of communicating about its annual New Years party -- they did send an email saying they have a party every year and you're able to go to their sister hotel that night if you don't want to be near it...what they failed to mention is just how loud or how long the actual party goes on for that night. Our room faced the party, which it turned out was a street party, and it lasted until 4am. We hadn't asked for further details, but best practice is that all of the details should have been communicated in advance. Essentially, we didn't get to go to sleep until 4am that night as the music was right below our window and extremely loud (even with ear plugs!)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear JTraveller2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your lengthy visit to the Mother City, Cape Town.

The location of our hotel is convenient and I can only agree that the number of nearby restaurants and sights is a plus.

You raise a few concerns and I take them all very seriously as I welcome GUEST feedback. We aim to provide the best GUEST service and it seems that we dropped the ball in the case of you having to wait lengthy amounts of time for towels. This is not the norm and I will discuss this with the TEAM in order to prevent this from happening again.

I understand your frustration regarding the New Year’s Eve party and I am truly sorry for your discomfort. We tried our best to inform every GUEST and make alternative options for them. Your comment will definitely assist us going forward.

As for the ‘helpful and friendly’ STAFF, thank you for commending their efforts. They are passionate about GUEST service and will be delighted to hear of your comments.

I hope that your travels back to the United Kingdom were safe and hope to welcome you back soon.

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

I have stayed at the Fire & Ice Hotel a good couple of times and this hotel never dissapoints.
The Fire & Ice hotel has great staff memebrs who are always friendly and who always jump to the every guest needs. The rooms are great and always well kept and clean. This Hotel has so much to offer what with the amazing pool area and lets not forget the great resturant ( which offers an amazing buffet breakfast ) and bar area. The Fire & Ice is such a fun, funky and trendy hotel, yet it still has that homely feel to it. The Fire & Ice hotel also caters for the corporates / business types with great boardrooms where you can have meetings / training etc. It's a hotel that caters for all. The location of the Fire & Ice is brilliant as you are situated in the in Cape Town with everything around you, shops, the Waterfront, the night life for the party animals, you name it.
The Fire & Ice hotel is definately a place that one has to experience for one's self to believe what an amazing Hotel it really is and how much it has to offer.

The Fire & Ice always goes that extra mile for its guest and I would definately recommend this hotel whether it be for business or pleasure.

The Fire & Ice Hotel is definately the place to be :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Dear Tamryn P

What an AWESOME review and thank you so much for your 5 out 5 rating.

You have managed to capture the personality and character of Fire & Ice! in your review.

I am happy to hear that the STAFF is always very attentive to your requests as I know that they are very passionate and always do their best. That goes for the kitchen TEAM as well and your compliments regarding the breakfast buffet will be well received.

As Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town is the place to be, I am sure we will be seeing you soon.

Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2013

When travelling to Cape Town, this hotel is my choice of stay. Reasonably priced, excellent breakfast buffet, well stocked bar. Their milk shakes are out of this world and it must've been the first time I said no to a beer and rather have a milk shake! I've been reading about other travellers finding the rooms dirty, smelly, mouldy..but I've not experienced or seen it. I've stayed there now on 6 occassions in rooms ranging from standard to the executive suites next door and every stay has been pleasant. Staff is very courteous, friendly and effective.The hotel might not be situated in posh surroundings but you only a few minutes walk to Long street, couple minutes driving to V&A Waterfront, CTICC, Table mountain etc.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Piet F
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
Dear Piet F

We are proud to be your choice of stay in Cape Town and thank you for your positive review.

You indicated that we offer great value along with delicious food and beverage options in house. Our milkshakes really are tasty and we love to hear of how others have enjoyed them as much as we do.

Creating a trendy third space, not a home, nor an office, is exactly what Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town offers and it seems to be exactly what you've experienced. On top of the friendly service, our unique location allows us to be close to all nearby attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Cape Town. If you ever travel to Johannesburg, be sure to visit our sister property Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Melrose Arch, where you will find our famous milkshakes too.

Enjoy your trip back to Durban.

Cologne, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2013

I really can not recommend this hotel. I stayed there with my husband in December for 4 nights and it was our first stay in South Africa. First we thought that the hotel standard in ZA is mybe a bit different. But it is not. This was the worst hotel during our 3 weeks stay.
We got an upgrade to a Superior room, which was nice, but I don't want to know how the Standard room is. Our room was really shabby and dirty: everywhere fingertipps on the door and in the bathroom, moldy corners in the bathroom and shabby and old interior. We requested the room service when we saw after a long flight our room for the first time. But nothing changed.
The best I can say about the hotel is the location: near to Long Street and Bree Street which is nice.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 23 January 2013
Dear Gisi5

Your experience of our hotel is not one that we are proud of and it is most certainly not what we are usually proud to offer.

We strive to offer an overall hotel experience of international quality and it is unfortunate, that in your case, we have not lived up to those standards. Freshness of room is one of the Protea Hotels’ principles and I am sincerely sorry that your room did not feel fresh.

I will be discussing these concerns with my TEAM, who are all very passionate and dedicated to offering the best GUEST service.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I wish you safe travels home.

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

Alexandria, Louisiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013 via mobile

After a long series of flights from the States, I was exhausted & fortunately the company had booked me here.
Very nice efficient staff, very clean room & a bed that was absolutely perfect.
It was an excellent stay for a weary traveller in CapeTown.

Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank J French R
Dear J French R

What a fun and different review title. Thank you for rating us so highly on TripAdvisor and for taking the time to write a review.

I know how travelling can be exhausting and a comfortable night’s sleep can do wonders. I am so happy that you were able to relax and get some much needed rest.

Hearing positive comments about STAFF is always a pleasure; they always do their best to welcome GUESTS and make them feel at home.

Enjoy the rest of your travels and we hope to see you in Cape Town again soon!

johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

Firstly i would like to think the entire staff for their awesome service and constant friendliness.
Secondly my man Siya for been so helpful with strand requests, almost every day of my stay.
The hotel is funky, trendy, and allows young at heart to want to party.
i have stayed many times at the hotel, but this last time was just extra special. The hotel had a huge new year event of which seemed to be the biggest in Cape Town. it was so much fun.
Cant wait for the next time i am in Cape Town

Room Tip: Ask a room in the newly build wing.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear laurentjhb

It is so wonderful to hear the STAFF receiving such amazing comments as I know that they all enjoy providing quality service. I will definitely express your gratitude to them and this will only continue to encourage them to be the best.

The ‘funky’ and ‘trendy’ vibe in the hotel is one of the things that make us so unique. I am thrilled that you attended our New Year’s Eve party and that you had such a special time.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and wish you a happy new year.