“"Hot or Not?" Sorry to say--NOT.”

Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Ranked #80 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“"Hot or Not?" Sorry to say--NOT.”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Their comment cards ask, "Hot or Not?" They say they want to know, so I say NOT. I asked the desk to have the Mgr call me when I returned home; I waited a week and no call . . . so here goes:
I booked a 2 bedroom loft in July/Aug for Christmas, with a deposit, only to find out when I arrived that my room was not available. They did give me two 1-bedroom lofts, which was nice, but at Christmas when you want to be together with your family, it's not cool to have 2 separate (non-adjoining) rooms. This could have been rectified with advance communication. The lofts are nice and VERY spacious and contemporary. The bedroom is upstairs, so climbing stairs has to be ok with you. The shower and sink are in the bedroom (ok with me, but my husband didn't like it). The sink had an occasional smell (sewage?) to it that when reported was fixed, or went away. 2 complimentary milkshake coupons in one room, but not in the other (don't know why). Loft rooms are a 1/4 block away from the lobby, bar, dining room, pool (very small) and other rooms. Overall vibe of the place is very hip, colorful, and trending. Where this place fell apart was not only from the beginning with the room mess up, but with the dining room...food was poor (buffet beef was overcooked, tasteless and tough; chocolate cake had flies on it, no upkeep to buffet at end of day) and service was slow and sometimes inattentive (we had to ask for tea/coffee every morning; no one came to table)...certainly not top-notch. We had Christmas brunch booked and it was terrible, and then the restaurant mgr messed things all up by telling me he'd get back to me about the problem and then told the server that she had to pay for our meal when we walked out...imagine how I felt for her! I paid for one meal, tipped her big, and left it at that. Then we went to a great restaurant (Sevruga) and had a wonderful meal. A lot of stress on Christmas Day that we didn't expect. The front desk staff were always very attentive when we asked and I felt like they listened, it's just too bad that the management was not more proactive. So when they ask Hot or Not? I have to say not because they messed up twice pretty badly + eating there was mediocre to poor.

Room Tip: Loft rooms are spacious/2 story but not in main building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JJHigh
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear Jj High

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

As per our correspondence, I am glad we were able to resolve this matter.
Please accept my sincere apologies once again for your disappointing stay.
We hope to welcome you back to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town in the near future.

Johan Cronjé

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Loved this hotel! Sure, the decor is over the top, but the rooms are contemporary and clean (some might consider small), the staff is friendly, the WiFi always works, there's plenty of free parking, and the location is perfect (walk to tons of different bars and restaurants - 5 minute drive to Camps Bay and Table Mountain). We also took advantage of the gym and pool - neither were great but definitely adequate.

Room Tip: Request a room that faces Table Mountain, and don't go through the tour company next door - supe...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Mike M,

Thank-you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor about your recent experience at our Hotel.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you, and your interest and loyalty are truly invaluable to us.
Our public areas create a great vibe and we are glad you took advantage of all our facilities. We are located in the heart of the entertainment hub which provides a never-ending stream of night-time entertainment.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Spent a week in CT with family and we enjoyed this hotel.
Very practical to go for dinners in Kloof street and to drive to camps bay or to the winelands. Lots of parking space around the hotel and at the hotel basement.
Very good breakfast variety and quality.
There were always lots of employees but not all of them with the same drive to provide excellent service, some of them however were extremely good, Victor in particular did an amazing job in various occasions,including on december 30th sorting out a big mess with the allocations of rooms.
The gym is good and modern

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mario P,

I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were so friendly and efficient. Your commendations of Victor in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated him for doing such an outstanding job!

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS’ expectations.

Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you and your family back to Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town again soon.

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Whilst parking my car in the PUBLIC parking spaces across the street from the hotels entrance I was approached by the security guard from the hotel. Gave his name as Haymee when questioned.
Haymee questioned me as to whether i was attending the hotel and when i replied that i was just popping round the corner and would be back in five minutes he told me that if i wasn't visiting the hotel then I couldn't park where i was. When i replied that he had no right to state that as where i was parked was a public road and not belonging to the hotel i was told ok but it would be quite likely that my car would be broken into and my belongings stolen!!!
I asked him to clarify what he meant and again he replied that if i wasn't visiting the hotel it was quite likely my car would be broken into! I asked him if he was threatening me which to which he just shrugged his shoulders!
Threats by security regarding the safety of my car whilst parking on a public street! Not really what you would expect from a hotel of this calibre! Great first impression!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank rmacaskill
Dear macaskill,

We appreciate your constructive feedback on your experience with us. It is through such feedback that we are able to constantly improve and build on the service experiences we provide.
I would like to apologize for your disappointment regarding the parking and understand the sensitivity around this issue.

We are pleased to inform you that this matter has been addressed by our Management TEAM.

Although the above does not rectify the disappointment you encountered, I hope that on your next stay we will be able to WOW you with our friendly hospitality and unique service culture.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went to this hotel to celebrate new years in Cape Town. We rented the loft suites which is located on the side of the hotel. You get your own entrance, and the room is just so massive and beautiful. We had two floors in the room, one with kitchen, tv, big sofas, big windows and a xbox. The perfect place to have a pre/after party with friends. The second floor has a big bed with a nice shower and toilet.

If you are some friends travelling to party in the Cape, this is the place to make an impression and be the boss. Its also very short distance to Long Street, which is cape towns best party street.

The room, the food, the quality, and the people makes this stay a winner.

Room Tip: We choosed loft 6 in second floor which was extremely awesome!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Henning K,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent experience at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

Our aim of providing the best GUEST service is ongoing and I am delighted that you experienced this first hand. Your lovely stay is testament to our TEAMS passion for getting the basics right consistently and creating a warm environment for our GUESTS.

On top of this all, we are happy that the food, your Loft Apartment and all round experience has gained your stamp of approval and recommendation.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Check-in: We arrived at about 10:30 am and were excited to hear that our room was ready. The staff at reception were nice but not uber friendly. There was guava juice (num) and ice water available at the desk. They gave us our hotel key and up we went to the third floor.

Decor: The hotel is decorated in a "fire and ice" theme, which we found very fun! The bathrooms in the bar area are each different. For example, one stall is titled 'outhouse' and has a chain that you pull to flush the toilet. How cool!

Room: Upon entering our room we were taken back by the beautiful view of Table Mountain. The room, though small, included everything we needed; TV, clock radio, blow dryer, phone, and the perfect amount of closet space. The bed was extremely comfortable and allowed for us to get a restful nights sleep. We ran into one problem on the first night: the air conditioner stopped working. I immediately notified the front desk and within 5 minutes someone was here to fix it. They were very prompt and apologized for any inconvenience this may have caused. I also want to give a huge thanks to the housekeepers as they did a wonderful job cleaning our room everyday. There was one housekeeper in particular (not sure of her name but she had a shaved head,) I spilled something on the floor of our room and she gladly came in with a smile to clean it up. She was very friendly and seemed happy to be helping.

Pool: Small pool area but it was perfect for a quick dip to cool off. There are two sundecks with the most comfortable sunbeds that I have ever experienced that we utilized to soak up the African rays.

Walkability: This hotel is strategically located in a safe location that allowed us to walk to many local restaurants, bars, and gas stations.

Breakfast: The breakfast at the hotel is about $15 for the buffet, and because of the price, we didn't eat there. Instead, we found a breakfast place about 1 block from the hotel (Euro Haus) that had an amazing breakfast and great service. We got 2 big omelettes, 4 pieces of brown toast, and two Coke Lights for $9- heck of a deal!

Bar: We went to the bar one evening and were pleasantly surprised by the price and quality of the food. I had one of their salads and it was flavorful and nummy for a good price ($6 I believe).

Overall, we had a wonderful stay at this hotel and would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ashley U
Dear Ashley U,

I really appreciate the time you have taken to write such a detailed review of our Hotel. Your review captures the authentic, warm & attentive service culture that we strive to offer our GUESTS. Our entire TEAM goes out of their way to create a helpful and friendly environment, and it is heart-warming to read such amazing comments. I will be sure to congratulate everyone on their efforts.

We rely on GUEST feedback to determine both the positive and negative aspects of our hotel and to improve wherever possible. Your concerns regarding the air conditioner are extremely valuable to us and I can assure you that I will be attending to this immediately.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I am a prokard gold member and used a buy one get one free voucher in a 2 bed loft suit over a weekend in April 2013. It was a two bed duplex suite and very impressive. It was perfect for my brother and I or for a family unit requiring separate bedrooms.

Both bedrooms which were over two floors had a shower and toilet (there were no baths in the room). The lounge area was great and the coffee machine and fridge were very practical.

The view from the room was nothing interesting and the pool was nothing more than decorative but the hotel had a nice buzz and vibe to it. The loft suite are in an adjoining building so nice and private. I have also used the loft suites at the doubletree in Woodstock Cape Town (see separate review) which are considerably cheaper but the location is it as good.

I ate dinner in the restaurant as using the prokard there is a 50% dining discount which makes it excellent value. I had the Thai green curry which I thought was very good.

Room Tip: Splurge on a loft suite
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank p750777
Dear p750777,

Our public areas really do create a great vibe and the “Coughing Room” and GUEST toilets are both a must see when visiting or staying at the hotel. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in our Loft Apartments and that you found great value in our Food and Beverage offering.

We wish you safe travels and look forward to your next visit.