The Fire & Ice Hotel in New Church Street, Cape Town is apparently a four-star establishment. We found this extremely hard to believe.
Our room was pokey and small, and extremely poorly designed. There is no privacy in the shower. Whoever else is in the room can see you stark naked. The cheap décor is kitsch and pretentious and there is no service to speak of. You are nothing more than a guest number in the great big Protea Hotel Machine.
Our room was not properly serviced. Not once were the coffee cups washed. The water took an age to get hot. Sometimes it did not get hot at all. And there was no suitable parking, whether outside the hotel on the street, or inside the garage which was crammed to capacity. At night the foyer was filled with rowdy, undesirable types. The basin got blocked after a day.
It was less of a hotel and more of a student residence.
The receptionists were too busy and too trendy to help us so we had to trip over our own bags. (Being busy is obviously very trendy, and the receptionists were always terribly trendy.)
The stairwells were dingy, made of industrial steel and the lighting was courtesy of dark blue light bulbs.
We found this place hiding behind the list of specials on Travelstart (travelstart.co.za). We will have to think very seriously about using Travelstart again to book flights, car hire and hotels. If the so-called four-star Fire & Ice in Cape Town can hide behind the Travelstart website – posing as an establishment that you might want to stay at – then what else Is hiding there?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- From the moment you step into the lobby of this edgy Tamboerskloof, Cape Town hotel, you will be greeted by the welcoming sounds of deep house lounge beats and immersed into a world of best GUEST service known to mankind. Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town is ideally situated in the heart of Cape Town and a mere 5 minutes from the V&A Waterfront. Set within walking distance of tourist attractions such as the hip night life of Long Street as well as 15 minutes from Cape Town's famous beaches, Camps Bay and Clifton. Mingle with fellow GUESTS and locals at the renowned Communal Table, or enjoy our crisp glass bar, a coffee brewery by day and party ticket by night featuring signature cocktails. Our snug yet sexy rooms are modern and trendy and features all the bells and whistles needed to ensure the comfiest stay. Your cheeky bedroom, ranging from 18 m² - 23 m² (remember that saying about dynamite?) comes standard with the most comfortable king size beds and is the base from which you can explore our slick social spaces and beautiful Mother City This is Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, Cape Town's Hottest Place to Chill. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Protea Hotel Fire And Ice! Cape Town
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! By Marriott Cape Town South Africa
- Protea Hotel Cape Town
- Extreme Hotel Cape Town