Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town
Hallandale
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

The Hotel-Super Clean
The Staff personable and accommodating.
I can't believe I received 2 free drink coupons as well.
I loved my stay at Fire and Ice.
The Breakfast was amazing.I had a choice of Salmon or an Omelette
There were tons of other choices as well.

Room Tip: The Standard room was very good for 1 person
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Carlos D,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about your experience at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

It was our pleasure to accommodate you and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed our Breakfast Buffet as well as the drinks vouchers.

Thank you for your compliment on our Hotel TEAM and our product, we are truly lucky to have such stars working alongside us.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Johan Cronje

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I've stayed in many 4 star hotels before but this was just not worth it.. In my many travels I've actually never written a review because I've stayed in amazing hotels that already had good reviews and any problems I might have experienced were so minor that they were not worth mentioning.. My mistake with this one was trusting the hotel chain since I've used a host of other descent Protea Hotels.

For starters, their standard rooms are just overpriced and way too small. I haven't been to a hotel without a mini-bar fridge in decades, and this one doesn't have.. So if you're staying longer like me you will definitely fill it.. I was also missing a comfy wingback chair or similar, present in most 4 stars, to relax and read or watch tv after a long day.. Sitting on a bed or the stool is just not my idea of "lounging".. While reasonably clean, the lace curtain serving as the bathroom door was dirty. The duvet was of such poor quality that I had to ask for a blanket and this in the middle of a cold Cape Town winter.. The bed was just too soft woke up with a sore back, but worse of all it's springy (like my grandmas) and very very loud, so couples stay away! The shower arrangement might not work very well if you're traveling with someone you don't know extremely well coz it's part of the room.. The noise that came from the corridors was just very loud, all hours of the day. The worse part was being woken up by housekeeping after my first night to ask if I "have laundry". This despite indicating on the door switch that I don't want housekeeping.. I mean how is it possible that I would need laundry after my first night?

The only reason I couldn't check out early was because unbeknownst to me I apparently booked and paid for a "special" that I wasn't even aware of since I booked the way I normally do and therefore, couldn't be refunded meaning I would have forfeited my money.. So I was subjected to five nights of torture..

Worst hotel stayed in, second to hostels in Europe while backpacking as a student! The truth is, the only good thing about the hotel is the prompt service I received from Prokard since I'm a member. They tried everything to make my stay as comfortable as possible under the circumstances.. I just wish they were flexible enough to refund me so I can look elsewhere and be comfortable during my stay in CT.. The food is also another up, they have quite a varied and good menu, so if you appreciate good food you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If size does matter to you, stay away! Definitely not suitable for couples what with no space and lo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Voyageuse-GP
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Voyageuse-GP,

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

I would like to apologise for the disappointment you experienced during your recent stay.

Your patronage at our Hotel is held at high esteem and we would like greatly to restore your faith in our product. Please kindly email me at gm@fireandicehotel.com as we would like to hear more on your experience with us.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,

Travellers are raving about these Cape Town Central hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel was great in terms of location (down the road from the V and A Waterfront) however I found service often slow and sometimes room service wouldn't respond to requests at all (after being told the requested items were being sent up). This hotel was extremely noisy. Renovations were taking place, which I understand, but drilling continued at early hours in the morning. That's unacceptable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Yusavia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at the Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town.

Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us, this by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! Cape Town is usually proud to offer. Please note that although we have tried our best to keep noise down to a bare minimum, occasionally drilling does occur during this renovation period. I am glad to inform you that by the 1st of September we will be completely finished with the renovation of our public areas.

Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded.
Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Johan Cronjé
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here on 7 occasions, they use their CRM database very well and always remember you,even have a welcome back poster at reception. I love the sign on the GM,s door "Please disturb" sums up the whole attitude. The team always offer a warm welcome and at breakfast or dinner make it a great place to stay. All this and a great location to explore the Mother City.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Steve P,

We appreciate the positive review and are happy to read about your great experience with us. The TEAM is thrilled to hear that you experienced our unique service culture that we are very proud of.

We wish you safe travels and hope to see you back soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Protea Fire and Ice Hotel in Cape Town is a really fun hotel in Cape Town.
Although it is not on the beach front it is along the main road leading up to Table Mountain and only about 2kms/ 1.25 miles from the Waterfront Complex.
Their " milkshakes" and I have put that in " because likening their creations to a common or garden milkshake is like likening soda water to champagne.
You must try one, and definitely their speciality enormous ones. They come in a variety of flavours but undoubtedly the best is their Lindt chocolate shake.
Right, now that I have stopped salivating let's get onto the hotel itself.
The rooms are, whilst smallish, really well appointed and more than adequate for the stay.
The elevators themselves are done in different themes and the bar area is really great with alcoves, each with a different fun decoration.
You must also have a look at the themes in the downstairs loo's.
Whomever was the interior decorator had a wild and wonderful imagination.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floors are less noisy
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Clive V,

We are thrilled to hear you had such an awesome stay with us and enjoyed our milkshake offerings! Your positive review is greatly appreciated and has been shared with our TEAM.

We hope to see you back with us soon.

Rondebosch, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is my favourite spot in Cape Town to enjoy a milkshake - fantastic flavours, fun vibe and creative decor. There are so many yummy and unusual flavours, you just keep having to go back to try another. The burgers are great too.

As for the hotel itself its conveniently located toward the 'top' of town, close to the night life of long street and the various attractions. The staff is always friendly and the service is good.

Room Tip: The standard rooms might feel a little small - the point is providing a comfortable place to sleep a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
johancronje, General Manager at Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! by Marriott Cape Town, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear mmre,

Wow, we are extremely humbled by your feedback! We are glad to hear your enjoyed our Burgers & Milkshakes, with over 37 flavours we always keep things interesting.

We hope to see you back with us in the not so distant future.

Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed a lot in hotels in all of Africa but this place was beautiful, much character extremely good service and very very clean. The prices and quality of food services are exceptional. the rooms are above average with excellent view of surrounding area. I would definetly stay there again

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear newfieboy01,

We are thrilled to hear you had such an amazing stay with us! Your kind words are greatly appreciated and will most certainly be distributed amongst the TEAM.

We hope to see you back with us in the not so distant future.