“Simple but comfortable ...”
Review of Zebra Crossing

Zebra Crossing
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Two months Spent at Zebra ... cant say i was sad to leave, but it was a pleasant experiance, a few odd people, but when do you stay at a hostel and not have odd people!? Brilliant location, and the taxis are cheap to get to other places to go. Never had a problem with security in the 2months, and if you are really worried you can leave any valuables in the safe at reception. We had issues with a German lady who was living there (oh, there are some 'residents') but you just had to ignor her. The Kitchen had everything you need (including a kettle which most EU hostels dont have!) except it did get crowded at dinner.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. And the sitting areas were comfortable and homely, theres even a piano!
Down points were the lack of fans - it got extremely hot and on a couple of occasions we would find ourselves sleeping in the lounges or outside! but during our stay the owner did bring some fans ... not enough but it was a start! and staying 2months with a dorm of 6girls and no wardrobes or drawers did get quite messy ... but i guess we were a oddity!
Free wifi was great to keep in contact with family and friends and overall was a great experience! .... 1 tip ... dont climb table mountain mid day!

Room Tip: Dont stay with any of the 'residents'!
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sezaaa_travel

Reviewed 10 March 2011

A great budget accomodation, next door to the Backpacker but much cheaper, with free wi-fi and more relaxed atmosphere

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank worldtraveller10114
Reviewed 21 December 2010

We stayed here at the start of our round the world trip and it was a good place to find our feet. The atmosphere is generally friendly and the rooms are clean and quiet, however the kitchen is quite tatty and gets crowded quickly at meal times.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I booked for two nights with the Zebra Crossing Hostel because it had a somewhat high rating of 83%. I found everything at the hostel to be in good order including the cozy living room, the kitchen, a nice little café, as well as the toilets and showers.
I booked a single room which was quite simple and rather small but certainly adequate for my needs: a double bed, a night table with a reading light and a few hooks for my clothes. What I found to be unacceptable and, in reality, quite awful was the filthy bedding including dirty, used sheets and pillowcases plus a duvet with something liked dried saliva melted into it. The sheets and duvet were smelly from a physically standpoint and uncomfortable from a psychological perspective. Still, I coped with the situation and slept well in the bed.
I am a well-traveled person and I am not particularly fanatical in cleanliness, but I do NOT enjoy sleeping in a filthy bed.
The hostel staff was helpful and very friendly, but honestly I would not stay at this hostel again. Instead, I might try The Backpacker Hostel which located just one block up the street from Zebra Crossing. At least from the outside, The Backpacker looked quite respectable.

Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Cyclopath43
Reviewed 9 June 2010

The Zebra has a good location, and the dorm is okay. Free wi-fi which makes up for a lot. The kitchen area is gross however, and the guests there for our 2 day stay were more interested in hanging out at the hostel than exploring the city. There is LOTS of smoking, and although they don't allow it inside the smoke still pervades the entire indoor space. There are also security issues that the staff is ill equipped to deal with. There is NO security guard or night porter it seems, and the last night we were there some guys brought 2 drunk ladies "home" with them who were not staying in the hostel. The ladies wouldn't leave, and caused a huge scene, yelling and screaming and waking the whole place up, and the staff of the hostel did absolutely nothing. Kind of scary and some of the other men staying there addressed the issue. So long story short, stay at the Africa Backpack next door, or the Ashanti (both locations), both are a better value and better run.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank flashpacker07
Reviewed 16 January 2010

I stayed there for a week in a spacious twin room. The hostel was clean, very hospitable and apart for the road noise quite. I found it to be like a home from home and would go back next time I am in Cape Town. The restaurants in Kloof Street are within 5 minutes walking distance and the center of the city is just 25 minutes by foot.
A huge plus was the great view of Table Mountain from my rooms balcony each morning.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 January 2009

I stayed there for 6 nights in a spacious double room with my toddler son. I loved the courtyard where it was pleasant to sit and chat with other travelers. The staff were really friendly. I got a good value transfer to and from the airport. The cafe was popular and I liked using the Internet in there. There were many steps to get my child's buggy up and down. I found the kitchen useful and the lounge comfortable. I met a couple with a young baby so it is so family and child friendly. It attracts pleasant people from different countries and all seem to get on well. A few people are staying long term which shows how lovely a place it is. There is some noise of traffic passing however it is peaceful compared to Long Street. It is comfortable walking distance to the center and the train station. The City Sightseeing Bus can be picked up nearby.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)