“hotel california of cape town”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Zebra Crossing

Zebra Crossing
New York
“hotel california of cape town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

It's like you check in, but can never leave, or don't want to. The location is perfect. It's a brisk 30 minute walk to the V&A harbor, short cab ride of 30R to Table Mountain or Lions Head, and walking distance to Long Street without having to put up with the craziness. Park has some great little bars and restaurants, and a grocery store is just nearby with another one about 10 minutes further up the hill.

There were a few regulars there when I visited, and after coming "home" from a long day's sightseeing, it was great to see a few familiar faces chatting or eating around the kitchen table. With a few days, you get to know each other and they ask about your plans, what is going on, help with suggestions on how to get to places, etc. The atmosphere created around the table is such that I look forward to coming back, and it really did feel like "home" for the few days I was there.

The staff are great. Stacey and Susan are wonderful, helping with planning, making phone calls for reservations or cabs, advice on how to get places, etc.

I stayed in one of the dorms. I can see that it could be a bit loud if someone was watching TV, but typically people observed the 11 PM quiet time. All you had to do was say something if it was a problem, which I didn't have. No coffee, tea, or breakfast but again that is easily rectified with the grocery store. The unlimited free wifi is what i would much rather have. No problems while I was there on the bandwidth either.

Overall, absolutely loved this place. I didn't want to leave - hoping to come back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lon, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

I stayed at the Zebra Crossing at the beginning of April 2012.

The location was pretty much perfect. Within walking distance of the night spots on Long Street, but far enough away to be able to get a good night's sleep. If you're not a lazy 'Jabber' then it's also within easy walking distance of pretty much all the city centre sights in Cape Town and Table Mountain.

The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. When I sought information from Stacey and Susan they were always happy to help. More importantly, the info they provided was accurate. The brilliant time I had in Cape Town owed much to their local knowledge.

I had a private room to myself so cannot comment on the dorms. However, the room I had was simple and clean. Facilities were plentiful and always clean.

The only thing that stops me giving this 5 stars is that the water pressure in the showers was a bit hit and miss on my visit and a tumble dryer would have been a welcome addition (particularly since my clothes were either soaked in sweat after a day in the sun or drenched after being caught in a monsoon).

The hostel is quiet. It's not a party hostel. If you're only travelling because you want to get pissed up with other travellers and wet your bed then I suggest you head elsewhere (perhaps long street). If you want quality accommodation within reach of good amenities and the points of interest then this hostel is for you. If you're a bloke who likes to watch the football then I can recommend the Fat Cactus round the corner where the food was good, the beer was plentiful and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Recommended to me by several friends who visited Cape Town, I booked a bed in a dorm room at Zebra Crossing for 5 nights. Zebra Crossing is a small hostel compared to others I've stayed, but is extremely clean, safe, and quiet. Its a short walking distance from Long Street if that's your thing, or you can stay indoors and enjoy the free wi-fi and some peace and quiet (which is what I did most of the time). I loved how each bunk bed had its own lamp, ideal for reading a book or anything else without disturbing other guests. My only concern is that they had a cat and I was unaware before arrival. I'm allergic.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

I recently stayed at Zebra Crossing with a friend of mine. The twin room that we stayed in was simple but clean with nice white bedding. There are lots of bathrooms and showers around the hostel which are kept nice and clean. The staff were very friendly and informative and really made us feel at home. The location is great,very central! Supermarkets, restaurants and Long street all within walking distance. Would definitely stay at Zebra Crossing again on my next visit to Cape Town.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2012

May stay at Zebra Crossing was the first time I have ever stayed in a back-packers. Of course, I was apprehensive at first, but I have to say my concerns were alleviated by the way in which the staff made me feel welcome. From there-in, as far as I am concerned Zebra Crossing is a lovely place to stay where the majority of the people who stay there are warm and friendly. Of an evening, you will find yourself content to sit and chat with many of the other guests and the Braii's held at Zebra are legendary. I have totally enjoyed my stay at Zebra and I would recommend it to any of my friends or family. Zebra, don't change because you are getting it right, you are non-commercial and it is so nice to be treated as a human being as opposed to just another guest. The two staff who run it during the day are a credit to Zebra Crossing. Well done!

Room Tip: If you are comfortable staying in a dorm, then do it because the other guests who stay at Zebra will...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Ivan C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

As a regular I find the previous review suspect ... The staff are friendly and efficient, the rooms clean with crisp white linen & the location ideal... Hard to find this kind of value at this price in the city!

• Stayed June 2012
usa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Although the location is great, it's a dingy place. The kitchen is small and food scraps are always lying around while the cleaning staff are just standing there. There were also a few roaches we saw, but the cats were going after them. There are 2 other backpackers on the same street on either side of this one that I would recommend.

• Stayed February 2012