“Fantastic”

Signal Hill Lodge
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

What a wonderful experience we had last week staying at this unique lodge. I have to congratulate the Manager Gerhard for accommodating us and going out of his way to ensure our stay was fantastic. Nothing was too much trouble and his wonderful sense of humour made our experience there all the better.

The view from the lodge is to 'die' for. Absolutely beautiful. My colleague and myself would strongly recommend this lodge and will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: I recommend the rooms with a balcony that overlooks the city of Cape Town.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Colleen E
Knetm_13, Public Relations Manager at Signal Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Dear Colleen,

Thank you for the great review. What a pleasure it was meeting you.

Best Regards
The Signal Hill Lodge Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed there for one night, between two longer term accomodation plans - tempted by the location and view. Not much to say about that - it feels kind of remote while close to town at the same time, and the view is what you can expect from a place nested on signal hill. Car necessary. That was it for the positives.

I am not one to complain much about staff - I get grumpy at times and so can forgive staff rudeness on most days. But the treatment we got this time was just unprofessional. They first tried to charge us a higher rate, arguing the hotel was fully booked when not even half of it was. Then they took away bed sheets and towels as we were having breakfast (two hours before the 10am sunday check-out deadline and before we even took our shower). Wi-fi only works in a few of the rooms, password is not given to you but typed into your device for lack of trust. Our room was very average and bathroom tiny. An experience like that can only satisfy those unfamiliar with the usual quality of South African hospitality.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Flycker
Knetm_13, Public Relations Manager at Signal Hill Lodge, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. We are very sorry to hear that your expectations were not met during your recent stay at Signal Hill Lodge.

It does appear that there was some miscommunication regarding our rates and check out times. The online booking that you made was for a Standard Room while the rate you were quoted via telephone was for one of our Deluxe rooms. Also, our check out time is at 10am and not at 12pm as you believed.

We pride ourselves on friendly and hospitable service and regret that you were not charmed by our staff.

We take all our reviews very seriously and will use the information you have provided to improve our service.

Many thanks and kind regards,
The Signal Hill Lodge team
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 12 February 2013

We recently stayed at Signal Hill Lodge while we attended the Mining Indaba,The Lodges staff were wonderful the room were spacious and quite comfortable.We enjoyed our time there the Lodge is quite central which was a bonus.The view in the evenings was PHENOMENAL! and the service and manager was EXCEPTIONAL!!!!! A definite must stay!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank laurene v
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I recently stayed at Signal Hill Lodge and WHAT an experience it was.

Before my visit, I actaully Googled some reviews to know what I should or should not expect and what I got, was much better.

Two reviews on Virtual Tours stated the Lodge was Liquidated and not Operational any more - what a bunch of trash - who-ever placed these reviews , surely have not been to this Lodge. It might have been the case in 2010, BUT this is now 2012 and what I read in these reviews was absolutely the opposite.
Since the Lodge is under new Management, it was worth considering staying there. Even while renovations were in progress, you never felt it. The rooms are presentable , the staff offer friendly professional service, excellent Breakfasts and I received an excellent wellness (massage) treatment.

I can strongly recommend the Lodge - centrally located and was a pleasure walking every morning among the historiacal Bo Kaap houses to the CBD.

I strongly recommend you have first hand experieince of staying of the amazing accomodation and please don't be fooled by second hand information

My sincere thanks and appreciation again to the management and staff of the Signal Hill Lodge - my stay was an unforgettable experience and I will be back very soon

Gerhard Botes

Room Tip: Rooms No 402/403 or 302/303 or 101/2/3 - Ideally and highly rocommended
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2012

I visited this lodge at the end of my 2weeks SA Tour. The lodge is located at the Signall Hill (Military Road) at Signal Hill. Taxi to Longstreet is 30 Rand.

The lodge provides free internet, small but comfortable rooms, very friendly and helpfull staff and an unbelievable great view towards cape town city and docks. The pools invites for a real rest after a long town visit. Sundowner on the deck is beautiful.

The bathroom (room 303) is quite small , has a shower and toilet but is clean, which is important for me. All rooms have air-condition.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank HolgerDaube
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 June 2010

Travelling to CPT for the World Cup. We leave in 2 weeks and received this today.

Dear Guest

CLASSIC CROWN PROPERTIES 198 CC TRADING AS SIGNAL HILL LODGE

This serves to inform you that Signal Hill Lodge was provisionally liquidated in the High Court of South Africa (Western Cape High Court, Cape Town) on 5 May 2010.

The Liquidators have informed us that they will not be continuing the trading operation of the lodge. In the circumstances we regret to inform you that the lodge will be unable to accommodate you for the period of your confirmed reservation.

We have provided your details to the Liquidators who shall shortly be in contact with you so that you may submit a claim against the Close Corporation in respect of any payment that you may have already made to secure your booking. To assist us in this regard, we request that you kindly by return email provide us with your postal and email address.

In an effort to ensure that you are not inconvenienced in any way, we have contacted various hotels and lodges in and around Cape Town City Bowl that would be able to accommodate you during your stay. Please find attached a list of these hotels and lodges. We would recommend that you liaise directly with your preferred hotel/lodge to make the necessary arrangements should you require tours or airport transfers.

We once again, apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you in this regard.

Regards

Upper Bo Kaap
CBD
E-mail: info@signalhilllodge.com
Website: www.signalhilllodge.com

Very odd. And very annoying.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jables3
los angeles
Reviewed 2 June 2010

I was looking forward to staying at this property for the World Cup in June of 2010. After paying my entire booking in full and with my trip only 9 days away I just now received an email. The email simply stated that the Signal Hill lodge has gone bankrupt and effective immediately they will have no more guests and will not be able to honor my reservation.

As far as getting my money back, the email said I would soon receive an email from the liquidation company with more information at some point in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple