The Southern Sun Waterfront Capetown is a large cosmopolitan city hotel situated within 10 minutes easy walk of the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and is therefore an ideal location to base yourself for exploring Capetown, the Cape peninsula and even the wine regions of Stellenbosch and Frankshhoek, the former being just 45 minutes drive away.
I stayed in the Southern Sun Waterfront Capetown in early March, a fabulous time to be in SA, (unless you want to see the whales off Hermanus in which case you need to be there May to December).
I was immediately struck by the clean, crisp and luxurious appearance of the Southern Sun Waterfront and by the number of staff available everywhere to cater to your every need or request. In fact the quality of the staff proved to be one of the many excellent attributes of this hotel, in terms of friendliness, politeness and the genuine desire to ensure that your needs were accommodated. Every task and request was carried out in a friendly and cheerful manner.
The SSW is predominantly a business hotel but that in no way detracts from the quality of stay to be had by the tourist, of which there were many. The facilities were excellent, a small but adequate gym, a spa with treatments and again a small but nicely appointed pool and terrace. There is a two storey underground car park charged at about £4 for 24 hours, which certainly is necessary and very convenient for your hire car. Internet/Wi fi access is by vouchers which you buy for ‘pay as you go’ minutes or for a period of days. In reception, there was an attended (free) fruit juice drinks stand which I thought was a nice touch.
The breakfast choice was outstanding and even very busy breakfast periods were managed with speed and efficiency by the staff. Tasty omelettes from the omelette station, choice of coffee styles, fruit, breads, cereals, pancakes, cold cuts, you name it, they had it. I’m a bit of a breakfast connoisseur and the SSW was as good as I’ve had. I regularly did not feel the need to eat again until about 3pm!
The Southern Sun Waterfront, Capetown has a strong sporting heritage and whilst I was there, it was hosting the Highlanders ‘Super Rugby’ team from New Zealand and a number of the (35,000) cyclists entering the Cape Argus ‘Pick n Pay’ Cycle Tour. As a big rugby fan, this was a treat for me especially when I got chatting with the team and ended up visiting Newlands Stadium to watch them play the Stormers.
I had an executive room on the 14th floor which was extremely comfortable, but I did see the standard rooms which were perfectly adequate in size and levels of comfort and facilities. You shouldn’t be spending much time in your room anyway, Capetown is much too interesting a city for that. The standard of cleanliness was exceptionally high and the maid service in the rooms could not be faulted.
This was my first visit to Capetown and the SSW was the first place I was staying on a two week excursion across the Garden Route. As an introduction to this vibrant and entertaining city, I couldn’t fault it and in all fairness, my impressions and experiences of the SSW have probably helped to shape my opinions about Capetown.
Would I stay there again? Without a second’s hesitation…yes, I would and I look forward to doing so.
So, is the Southern Sun Waterfront the one for your Capetown visit? I would wholeheartedly say yes, if you’re looking for a convenient location for both the V & A Waterfront and the main entertainment/eating areas of Capetown. It’s probably not the sort of place you bring the kids for a ‘by the pool’ type holiday, but then it doesn’t try to be and that’s not really why you’re in Capetown anyway, is it?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wonderful sunsets over the Atlantic Ocean assist in making the Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town a preferred business and holiday destination. A mere 15 minutes' drive from Cape Town International Airport, a 5 minute walk from the Cape Town International Convention Centre (CTICC) and within walking distance to the V&A Waterfront, this hotel is superbly located to offer every guest easy access to the sights and sounds of Cape Town. Breathtaking views of Table Mountain can be enjoyed from rooms that offer all the quality and comfort you would expect from a full service hotel. Offering guests a fitness centre, a pool and convenient meeting rooms and a business centre, the Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town caters for all possible business or leisure traveller needs.Modern, chic and spaciously comfortable, these Waterfront hotel rooms offer guests a rejuvenating, fully serviced escape from the bustling energy of Cape Town. The decor is tasteful and classy with an edge. Amenities cater for all possible requirements and include 24 hour in room dining and a host of channels available on satellite. Business travellers can make use of the in room wireless internet access and the workstation with work lamp. Smoking and wheelchair accessible rooms are available on request.Unique cuisine and relaxed dining are just two of the many aspects that make this a simply superb dining experience to all restaurant guests. The Yizani Restaurant is inspired by everything local and is authentically South African ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town Hotel Cape Town Central
- Cape Town Southern Sun Waterfront
- Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town South Africa