“Excellent!!!”

Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Wednesbury
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I was at this hotel on business from Monday 24th October until 4th November 2011. The hotel is superb in every way. The breakfasts were fantastic with so much to choose from and of a good quality. Equally the meals in the restuarant were just as good with a great selection of fine wines.

The guys behind the bar were great especially Riaz who deserves a special mention for his great service. Equally Des and Chris deserve a pat on the back for their great humour as well as Hannes service at the front desk.

The rooms were cleaned of a high standard, come with safes with no charge along with air conditioning.

The hotel is superbly situated from the Waterfront area which has easy access to over 20 restaurants and a superb selection of shops.

Simply the best hotel I have stayed in, and am looking forward to returing for a further 2 weeks in January also on business.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms at the back overlooking the pool- there are no roads there and is very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Ian T
HotelManagement_10, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 8 November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. It is valuable feedback such as yours that allows us to continuously improve our service delivery.

I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and will certainly share your positive remarks amongst all the staff.

I would like to thank you for staying with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Waterfront in the near future.

Revenue Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 2 November 2011

The checkin was efficient, juice on arrival - room was nice, buffet was excellent, breakfast and dinner... Room I had was on 1st floor, past the gym, beauty salon and management offices.. was not very keen on it and the corner room had no view.. but rest of the service was great..

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
HotelManagement_10, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your feedback and we will ensure that your comments are passed onto our staff.

belfast
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Southern Sun Waterfront Capetown is a large cosmopolitan city hotel situated within 10 minutes easy walk of the Victoria and Alfred Waterfront and is therefore an ideal location to base yourself for exploring Capetown, the Cape peninsula and even the wine regions of Stellenbosch and Frankshhoek, the former being just 45 minutes drive away.

I stayed in the Southern Sun Waterfront Capetown in early March, a fabulous time to be in SA, (unless you want to see the whales off Hermanus in which case you need to be there May to December).

I was immediately struck by the clean, crisp and luxurious appearance of the Southern Sun Waterfront and by the number of staff available everywhere to cater to your every need or request. In fact the quality of the staff proved to be one of the many excellent attributes of this hotel, in terms of friendliness, politeness and the genuine desire to ensure that your needs were accommodated. Every task and request was carried out in a friendly and cheerful manner.

The SSW is predominantly a business hotel but that in no way detracts from the quality of stay to be had by the tourist, of which there were many. The facilities were excellent, a small but adequate gym, a spa with treatments and again a small but nicely appointed pool and terrace. There is a two storey underground car park charged at about £4 for 24 hours, which certainly is necessary and very convenient for your hire car. Internet/Wi fi access is by vouchers which you buy for ‘pay as you go’ minutes or for a period of days. In reception, there was an attended (free) fruit juice drinks stand which I thought was a nice touch.

The breakfast choice was outstanding and even very busy breakfast periods were managed with speed and efficiency by the staff. Tasty omelettes from the omelette station, choice of coffee styles, fruit, breads, cereals, pancakes, cold cuts, you name it, they had it. I’m a bit of a breakfast connoisseur and the SSW was as good as I’ve had. I regularly did not feel the need to eat again until about 3pm!

The Southern Sun Waterfront, Capetown has a strong sporting heritage and whilst I was there, it was hosting the Highlanders ‘Super Rugby’ team from New Zealand and a number of the (35,000) cyclists entering the Cape Argus ‘Pick n Pay’ Cycle Tour. As a big rugby fan, this was a treat for me especially when I got chatting with the team and ended up visiting Newlands Stadium to watch them play the Stormers.

I had an executive room on the 14th floor which was extremely comfortable, but I did see the standard rooms which were perfectly adequate in size and levels of comfort and facilities. You shouldn’t be spending much time in your room anyway, Capetown is much too interesting a city for that. The standard of cleanliness was exceptionally high and the maid service in the rooms could not be faulted.

This was my first visit to Capetown and the SSW was the first place I was staying on a two week excursion across the Garden Route. As an introduction to this vibrant and entertaining city, I couldn’t fault it and in all fairness, my impressions and experiences of the SSW have probably helped to shape my opinions about Capetown.

Would I stay there again? Without a second’s hesitation…yes, I would and I look forward to doing so.

So, is the Southern Sun Waterfront the one for your Capetown visit? I would wholeheartedly say yes, if you’re looking for a convenient location for both the V & A Waterfront and the main entertainment/eating areas of Capetown. It’s probably not the sort of place you bring the kids for a ‘by the pool’ type holiday, but then it doesn’t try to be and that’s not really why you’re in Capetown anyway, is it?

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank brianstravelmail
HotelManagement_10, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 19 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your extensive review on Tripadvisor. It is valuable feedback such as yours that allows us to continuously feedback to our staff to improve our service delivery.

I am delighted that we were able to deliver on your expectations and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay at our hotel over an extrememly busy March period.

Your positive feedback is an encouragement for all the staff and we will ensure to pass on your favourable review to our team.

I would like to thank you for staying with us and pleased that we were able to create great memories for you of Cape Town.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Waterfront in the near future.

Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We checked in very late on a Friday night for a two-night stay. The front desk staff were very friendly, helpful, and efficient. Our 4th floor room was small seemed clean enough, and overlooked a busy street. The closed windows provided enough sound muffling. The queen size bed was very comfortable. The bathroom had a separate shower and plenty of hot water. Amenities were provided and curiously there was bubble bath but no shower gel. Fortunately there was also body lotion provided to make up for the bubble-bath-as-shower-gel.

Breakfast was included in our room rate. The breakfast was OK with a few things to stay away from. It is a large buffet-style affair with the requisite fruit and pastries as well as some hot dishes, including various kinds of sausages, undercooked bacon, watery, reconstituted scrambled eggs, some ground meat called "chef's special", and a cook who will do up a nice omelet with your chosen fillings. Wait staff is numerous and have very specific duties; however, both mornings we had to ask twice for our tea.

They have a shuttle that goes to the mall at the waterfront on the half-hour and returns on the quarter hour. Round trip for hotel guests is R40 per person. They also charge you to leave your laptop at the front desk while you are out. The concierge was very friendly and helpful.

Would I stay here again? Probably not, given the many other choices closer to the actual waterfront.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside, away from the street.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BadKtty
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that we were able to deliver on your expectations, and your positive feedback is an encouragement for all the staff. We must however at the same time also apologise for the service inconsistencies you experienced during your recent stay and assure you that these are being addressed to ensure standard improvements.

The hotel provides access to safes suitable to store laptops both in the rooms as well as at the front desk and we certainly do not charge our guest to make use of these facilities. We apologise if there was any confusion regarding this issue.

Dubai
Reviewed 15 October 2011

The room was the dirtiest room I have ever staid (I travel frequently and stay in 4/5* hotels). On arrival into my room I discovered several human body hairs on the sink and the bath in my bathroom. After calling front office twice in 40 min, finally two housekeeping ladies arrived only after me going out in the corridor to check if somebody is coming as i was told that duty manager is sorting this out. They cleaned my bathroom and left, then I saw that all of those hairs were now in my bath - how good this cleaning can be??? The bid in the bathroom had some paper and dental floss from previous guest. Carpet in the room had threads and other pieces of dirt. Hairdryer worked for 1 minute, then it died, safe was not working as well. No fridge in room.
Only good thing about the breakfast it the fresh fruit. Coffee - not good at all.
All the staff seems very nice, but the rest is just horrible.
Shuttle to the Waterfront is very convenient.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank citizen_20
HotelManagement_10, Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the service inconsistencies you experienced during your recent stay with us. This is definitely not our standard and the issues you highlighted are being addressed.

Maryland
Reviewed 14 October 2011

The Southern Sun is in a great location, walking distance to the V&A waterfront and downtown Cape Town. There was even a shuttle that went to and from the waterfront, but it tended to be a little inconsistent. Their daily breakfast was amazing and delicious...one of the best I've ever seen at a hotel! My only negative comment would be that we were there on our honeymoon and the hotel gave us a double bed! We specifically booked a king and they claimed that the hotel had been overbooked! When we tried to change to a king room the next day, they claimed that it would actually be smaller than the room we already had...hence persuading us to just stay in the double room. We ended up just upgrading to a suite (which were the only rooms available) and had to pay for every last dime of our upgrade. I would have hoped that they would have been a little more accommodating for a honeymoon couple!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that we were able to deliver on your expectations and glad to see you particularly enjoyed our breakfast variety.

Paarl, South Africa
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We had a wonderful experience at the Southern Sun Waterfront Hotel. It is a big hotel, and situated at the entrance to the Waterfront (so not in the Waterfront). We only stayed for one night, as we had a function in Cape Town and I had to get up early for a race the next in Cape Town (The Gun Run). It was a perfect location, with beautiful, clean rooms. We booked two rooms and had an inter leading option. It was hot in Cape Town, so the boys had quick dip in the lovely pool. The beds are comfortable and we had no problem with noise etc. We also had a fantastic breakfast the next morning and the parking garage under the hotel offers safe and secure parking. The most impressive part of this hotel must be the staff - they are all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

I am delighted that we were able to deliver on your expectations and glad that you enjoyed the friendly service as well as wise breakfast variety. Your positive feedback is an encouragement for all the staff.