“Wonderful stay, meals outstanding, close to waterfront”

Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Winnipeg, Canada
“Wonderful stay, meals outstanding, close to waterfront”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were lucky enough to stay at Southern Sun waterfront for 3 nights in October, 2013. Close to all amenities (wharf, Hop on Hop off Bus tour line, shopping). They served an excellent breakfast buffet every morning... Must try the homemade granola! Rooms were well appointed and clean. Best of all --- the staff, truly the most helpful and genuine. Wouldn't change a thing. Great place to rest your head after a day of sightseeing.

Unfortunately we ran out of time and didn't get a chance to use the spa facilities. Maybe next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 5 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback , we really appreciate your kind comments following your recent stay with us

All your experiences will be shared with our team members as this will assist us to achieve service excellence

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Annandale
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our family of four stayed her over Christmas 2013 and liked the hotel very much. We had two rooms (queen and the other w/two doubles) which were clean and met our needs. The hotel's restaurant had a very nice breakfast buffet, though the waiters must have a competition for how quickly they can remove plates. (Barely two seconds went by from our last bite before the plate was cleared!) We really appreciated the help from the concierge team, particularly Meegan. The shuttle from the waterfront to the hotel was appreciated but it was a little confusing about the pick-up location (might have been due to the Christmas holiday.) The pool area is small, but nice. All staff were very friendly and we would recommend this hotel.

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for feedback following your recent stay at the Southern Sun Waterfront

We truly appreciate your comments and we will ensure that our team members are advised accordingly

All the very best for 2014 and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Kimberley, South Africa
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Great stay for kids and family. The Sun kids program was excellent. One was Feeling safe and secured with the security from outside to great customer care shown by staff in all the divisions of the hotel. The room was spacious, comfortable, but an extra pedestal would do for a family room of a hotel of this nature. The carpet needed some attention and the bathroom had minor housekeeping and maintenance issues.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback following your recent stay with us

The Sunkids entertainment programme is designed to not only give the kids a fun time , but also to ensure that you have some free time as well, so we are pleased that you enjoyed this facility

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 January 2014

An excellent location within walking distance to the waterfront, Cape Town Central and the ICC. Staff very courteous and rooms very clean and serviced daily. My only advice would be to advise the hotel 2 days in advance if there are special dietary reqirements. Check and confirm on arrival that the request has been followed through.

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us

We are truly pleased that you and your family enjoyed your holiday in Cape Town and that you found our facilities to your satisfaction

All the best for 2014 and we hope to welcome you back soon

Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 31 December 2013

first time at this hotel
Stay was ok but the facilities are in need of a serious update and bathroom is a bit small in comparison to other hotels in the group
extremely busy breakfast at the hotel with waiting list for seating every morning
extremely helpful and friendly staff which made the stay acceptable and overcoming the shortfalls we experienced

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Tsogo Sun Hotels

CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank yu for your feedback following your recent stay with us

We are in the process of a total room refurbishment programme and have completed the top 7 floors , with the remainder of the rooms scheduled to be done in 2014. I am sure that you will enjoy the new product on your next visit

Your comments relating to our team members is appreciated and we will share this with them for their motivation

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

From the moment we checked into this hotel my family and I felt like an inconvience. The service in this hotel is absolutely shocking - I have never experienced anything like it and I discourage anyone to stay at this hotel. We waited almost thirty minutes to check in. When we finally got to the front I started speaking and halfway through my sentence the black lady answered the phone instead of acknowledging me or even apologizing for doing so. She finally got back to me, but while checking me in, other employees behind the desk would shout at each other to get things done. It was honestly absolutely unbelievable.

Breakfast was included in our rate and the food was very good. The atmosphere and service though, was terrible. There were kids running all over the place and it sounded like a crazy party where everyone was drunk. Our plates were not cleared after each course, we had to ask multiple times for tea or coffee, and our milk had things (I'm still not sure what it was) floating in it.

Our shower drain was blocked so I went to the reception and waited 30 minutes to be helped again. When I finally got to the front I was told to come back later because "nobody is available to help me right now". I basically begged to be helped because I didn't want to wait in another 30 minute line. The black woman told me there is nothing she can do because the hotel is just very busy. I told her I think the service is terrible and she actually rolled her eyes at me.

My family and I seeked the help of the concierge with dinner reservations and waited 15 minutes to be helped while there were two people behind the desk, one helping guests, and the other staring into space or giving the other one orders. The short of it, we were interrupted 3 times by phone calls, 4 times by other employees demanding help with a different issue, and finally told to call some info/help/yellow pages number to make our own reservations.

I can honestly say this was the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel in any country in the world.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this review, 31 December 2013

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us

We would like to apologise in advance, however, as you also sent this feedback to our contact centre , we have also been attempting to contact you via your mobile and your e-mail, without any success.

As we would dearly like to discuss the clearly , unacceptable , service that you were subjected to , with you, please can you respond to the e-mail sent to you by my Guest Relations Manager , as soon as possible, in order for us to respond in more detail

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 29 December 2013

As a frequent guest I never had the opportunity to write a review for my favourite. When you come for business and pay non promo rates the rooms you might be given are excellent and they have very successful welcoming at front desk.
Breakfast is excellent, rooms are large and have an excellent view. Last time I had a story to share:
I forgot a pack of cheese at the concierge refrigerate from my trip with my family. We realised it very late and I didn't contact the hotel in assumption that they don't keep it 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I had this business trip and my pack was kept and they were trying to find me on my mobile phone which was out of order those time. Excellent service.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for advising us of your experience at our hotel during your recent stay with us

We truly value your feedback , as this assists us in our efforts to continuously improve our service levels

Once again , many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Southern Sun Waterfont in the not too distant future