Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town
US$128
  • Restaurant
Protea Hotel Cape Town Victoria Junction(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$155
  • Pool
Cape Grace(Cape Town Central)
US$709
US$670
Agoda.com
Taj Cape Town(Cape Town Central)
US$173
US$153
US$286
Radisson Blu
  • Pool
Park Inn by Radisson Cape Town Foreshore(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$98
Park Inn
Protea Hotel Cape Town North Wharf(Cape Town Central)
US$202
  • Pool
Cape Heritage Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$151
Cancelon
  • Breakfast included
Victoria & Alfred Hotel(Cape Town Central)
Orbitz.com
Mandela Rhodes Place Hotel(Cape Town Central)(Great Value!)
US$133
TripAdvisor
2,227 results
All reviewsevery half hourshuttle bustsogo sunshuttle serviceconcierge deskbreakfast buffetwater frontbusiness tripeasy accessbusiness hotelstayed here for nightsenjoyed my staytable mountainsouth africalong streetwaterfrontcticc
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here as part of our wonderful Riviera Travel South African tour. The hotel was well placed for the Waterfront and ran a good courtesy bus service there. The staff were friendly and helpful. The pool and common parts were comfortable and well served. The rooms we had were large enough, comfortable and recently refurbished. Our main disappointment was that we spent a Sunday there - and were told not to go out exploring by foot.......! Other days OK - but never on a Sunday! A great pity as we were restricted to the Waterfront and escorted tours only..

Room Tip: Ask for one that has been refurbished!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2014

Dear EmmaEJBrighton,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us

We are delighted that you enjoyed our services and we sincerely trust that you will have the opportunity to visit us again soon

Reviewed 21 March 2014

It was great time to stay this hotel. From my room table mountain view excellent . waterfront very close to the hotel. free shuttle bus available from hotel every 15 minutes . Hotel staff very cooperative .

Room Tip: after 15th floor room execellent
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sunhraj,

Thank you for positive feedback following your recent stay

We are really pleased that you found our services to your satisfaction and that you enjoyed your visit to Cape Town

Reviewed 20 March 2014

We started our holiday in South Africa with 4 nights at the Southern Sun.
From our first contact at the reservations desk to our last contact with the porters at the door the staff at this hotel were exceptionally friendly and keen to assist.
The hotel facilities were all you could hope for, our refurbished room was clean, bright and comfortable. The breakfast was superb and we had dinner on one of our nights and it was excellent with good choice and reasonable price.
The hotel also runs a minibus to the V&A Waterfront which was always on time.
No hesitation in recommending.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Ellie5758'

Thank you so much for taking the time to advise us of your experience duri g your recent stay

It is very pleasing to note that you enjoyed our facilities and that you found our services to your liking

I can assure you that we place a tremendous amount of time on the training of our team members and it is pleasing to note that it seems to be paying off

Once again , many thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I booked a standard room weeks in advance. Because I had stayed in the hotel on the first floor before and found it noisy, I called several hours before my arrival to request a room on anything other than the first floor. On arrival, I was assigned a room on the first floor. Everyone else in my group, booked on the the same rate for the same dates, was on a high floor. The clerk who checked me in, Shaheed, apologized and assured me that I could move to a higher room the next morning.

As I had experienced before, my room on the first floor was noisy all night. The next morning, I went to the desk to find that Shaheed had made no arrangement to move rooms, and left no note in my reservation. No problem, said Nizophone, she would elevate this the manager and I would have a new room when I returned from work in the afternoon. When I got back in hey he afternoon, Siwaphone told me that nothing had been done, no note in my reservation, but that he would follow up with the manager himself and call me right back. An hour later when I went back down, nothing had been done. He sent me back up to my room, where a half hour latter a porter brought me a new key. Finally!!

However, my new room had either not been serviced, or was still occupied by another guest. There was a used room service tray, the bed was unmade, and the toilet was .... Let's say unserviced. I went down again, and was assigned another room. This one had been serviced, but reeked of smoke.

My expectation was a quiet, nonsmoking room. Person after person promised me to address my concern and did nothing. It seems I could have my choice of a nonsmoking noisy room, a nonsmoking quiet room occupied by another guest, or a quiet smoky room. In the end, I moved across the street to the Protea hotel, which provided me with a clean, quiet room on the first try, for about the same price.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear PssInatl,

Thank for your detailed report following your recent stay

At the outset, I would like to apologize most sincerely for the fact that we not only allocated a room , contrary to your request, but that after serval attempts to rectify this , we seem to have failed dismally to arrange a room to your satisfaction.

I would like to thank you for identifying the moments of truth that need attention , as this will afford us the opportunity to council the team members concerned.

We truly regret that we were not able to satisfy your requirements and we only hope that you may give us another chance on your next visit to Cape Town

Once again apologies for the inconvenience

Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is a standard, large hotel, with nothing much to recommend it, except for the friendly staff. My stay was marred by being put into a smoking room on my first night - the hotel was fully booked because of the Argus cycle tour - despite having booked a non-smoking room. Since they were unable to find me a non-smoking room, I was forced to sleep in a foul-smelling room on a stinking floor. My over-riding impression - how on earth do some hotels still maintain smoking floors in this day and age? The very pleasant manager - Ignatius - offered me an upgrade for the next 3 nights, but let me know that it would be on a floor below construction work. Good thing he let me know, but in the end I didn't bother with an upgrade, just took my non-smoking room for the final three nights. The breakfast was good, the rooms reasonably spacious. The first room had not been upgraded, the second one had. A definite improvement - so make sure you get an upgraded NON-smoking room. That is, unless you're also a puffer!

Room Tip: They're upgrading the floors from the top down, so the higher the floor, the better your experience. I know the 10th floor is upgraded, and that they are currently upgrading the 6th (March 2014).
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
CapeTownJeff, General Manager at Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Town, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Fazzab,

Thank you for your feedback following your recentbstay with us

We apologize for the fact that you were not allocated a non smoking room , but are pleased that you enjoyed our refurbished rooms. The programme should be completed at the end of November, when all of our rooms should be completed

It is also pleasing that you found our staff friendly and helpful, as we place a considerable effort into training

Once again apologies and we hope to welcome you back on your next visits to Cape Town