“and the winner is........DERWENT HOUSE!”

Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 110 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Reviewed 31 October 2007

My partner and I stayed at Derwent House from okt 16 till okt 24 2007 and had a great time!
Thanks to the effort of Carol an Jo and their great staff this little jewel is the best of Capetown.
We've stayed at many different places the last few years when we visited Capetown, but never felt soo wellcome as at Derwent House.
We loved the warmth, the ambience and great service they provide. The breakfast everymorning was soo good that I gained some weight! and not to forget the home made cake, served with the free coffee and tea at the honesty bar.
The rooms and the lounge are very tastfully decorated and it feels like home, to sit there and enjoy a good glass of wine.
For us there is only one place to go in Capetown and that will be DERWENT HOUSE!
(Mr&Mr Smith from Amsterdam)

2  Thank HAnsBosgoed
Write a ReviewReviews (1,440)

Reviewed 28 October 2007

We stayed here in September 2007 for 6 nights. Derwent House is simply the best place to stay in Cape Town. You can expect:

- great and friendly, helpful staff and owners
- assistance for everything: restaurants, attractions, tours, best
taxi companies, and many insider tips nowhere to be found in
travel guides
- excellent breakfast: nice buffet plus cooked-to-order dishes,
whatever you like
- stylish interior
- beautiful pool area
- comfortable rooms (flat screen tv, enviromental friendly
amenities, turn down service, weather report, chocolates etc.)
- safe neighbourhood, perfect location as your base to explore
Cape Town, walking distance to many good restaurants, close
to table mountain

So book and enjoy your stay!

6  Thank MileageTravellers
Reviewed 23 October 2007

We stayed at derwent for our first night on arrival to The Cape from the UK. They had asked when we booked if we needed a taxi and arranged this for us. The level of the accomodation is outstanding and got us off to an excellent start for our holiday. Staff were great, breakfast was just right and we could not of asked for more. The rooms were also of a high standard and we had room 9 which as well as a bedroom and bathroom it had a lounge/ kitchen area and a private balcony. To be recommended!!!

2  Thank LindaWalsall
Reviewed 23 October 2007

I together with two golfing colleagues stayed the weekend at Derwent.
I have travelled extensively and would find this boutique hotel difficult to fault on any level.
Jo and Carol are excellent hosts and maintain the ability to remain in the background whilst still ensuring you feel relaxed and enjoy their excellent residence. Nothing is too much trouble and they are only too happy to offer ideas for pubs, restaurants, clubs etc.
Don't bother wasting time trawling other reviews on Tripadvisor - just book it!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank COB21
Reviewed 20 October 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in Derwent House hotel for a week at the end of September and were very impressed all round. He's a smoker so wanted some outside space which we didn't have with the room we'd first booked into. Carol (one of the owners) took us around the rooms that were going to be available from the afternoon so we could take our pick and we changed to a room with a lovely outside verandah and a balcony overlooking the pool.

As it's quite a new hotel the decor is lovely and fresh but ultimately it's the staff and owners that make this such a great place, nothing is too much hassle. You get great tips from Carol and Jo about what to do and where to eat, etc.

The facilities are superb too. There's the swimming pool of course, but also things like a great DVD library you can borrow from, access to a computer if you need one and the extras like port and mid-day snacks laid out each day along with a very reasonable honesty bar.

We can't recommend this place highly enough.

Reviewed 13 October 2007

My wife and I stayed at the Derwent Hotel for three nights at the end of a two week trip in Cape Town. The staff were wonderful, the owners, Carol & Jo are beyond compare in terms of their friendliness and willing ness to help. We were even invited to join them with friends one evening making us feel more like invited guests than paying ones.

Our room was beautiful, comfortable and quiet. Breakfasts were excellent and filling and served in a beautiful dining area. The whole hotel is decorated with magnificent art and tasteful furnishings.

We cannot say enough about this place and would dearly like to return in the future.

Reviewed 9 October 2007

I stayed at the Derwent House for about a week total this past September. The first four days I stayed in one of the standard rooms, and then the last two days I stayed in one of the upgraded rooms. I can't say enough nice things about this hotel.

The rooms are nicely decorated, super clean, with good bath product. My favorite part was probably the electric mattress pad that made the bed toasty on the colder Cape Town evenings. Super comfy. Also, both of the rooms I stayed in had a patio: the standard room had a small patio area near the pool, and the upgraded room had a huge deck upstairs.

Perhaps the biggest asset of the property, though, is the people who work there. Carol and Jo, the owners, are just fantastic, warm people. They were quick to offer advice on places to go, and solutions to travel dilemmas I posed, such as where to find a loaner cell phone and book a trip to Namibia. When I had to leave in the middle of the night to catch a flight, they could not have been more accomodating. Everyone else that works there is just super friendly, as well.

Although usually I prefer the anonymity of a large hotel (I'm not a B&B person), I just loved how comfortable and friendly Derwent House was. I didn't have my laptop on the trip -- they have a loaner that guests can use. I was feeling a little under the weather one evening and didn't feel like going out -- they have a library of DVDs that you can borrow. Thirsty? There's a well-stocked honor bar in the lobby. I was able to enjoy a few ciders one evening while sitting on the couch in front of the fire, checking my email on the laptop I borrowed.

Location-wise, I was pretty happy. There are a number of restaurants, cafes, bars, and groceries within walking distance. Kloof Street is only a few blocks away. And, if you are driving, it's pretty easy to get to the waterfront and major highways.

The only negatives I noticed were the size of the standard rooms (functional, but reminds me of a NY hotel room), and the lack of a phone in the rooms. For most travelers, the lack of a phone probably isn't a problem; my cell phone didn't work internationally, though. No matter, Carol and Jo quickly helped me locate a loaner. Otherwise, if you can swing it, spring for an upgraded room -- they are larger than the standard rooms.

All in all, I thought this hotel was fantastic, and contributed to a great stay in Cape Town. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again, or recommend to others.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
#3 of 110 in Cape Town Central
An African Villa
An African Villa
#8 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Derwent House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!