“Forget big hotels chains!”

Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Manchester
“Forget big hotels chains!”
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My family and I stayed at the Derwent House in February this year.
Instead of choosing to stay in a large Hotel,we decided to try a small luxury Hotel after reading the reviews on Trip Adviser. What a great decision that was!
The location was better than we could have wished for and upon entering the Hotel we knew we had arrived somewhere special.The furnishing is first class.
The small group of staff were all superb,in fact within 2 days we knew them all by name and they us. Every day we were asked if we needed reservations to restaurants,tourist attractions etc.They couldn't be more helpful.
We booked 2 rooms and again these were furnished to a very high standard and immaculately clean.Ours was a family room with a kitchen and outdoor sitting area.
A previous review mentioned the Hotel served the best breakfast in town and they weren't kidding. We've stayed in 5 star Hotels worldwide and none beat this!
My party consisted of my wife and I, our two children (9 and 4) along with 2 grandparents and we all fell in love with this place. We felt as if we were staying with old friends.Even the other guests were people you wanted to get to know.
Our first time in a small boutique Hotel will not be our last.The quality of service we received and the attention to detail was exceptional.You couldn't provide that in a large Hotel. I've never known anywhere come close.
The owners and staff all looked like they enjoyed working together and that is rare.
Oh and the price was a third of what we considered paying elsewhere.
We were within walking distance to restaurants,cafes and bars,10 mins to Table Mountain,10 mins to the Waterfront,10 mins to Camps Bay.
Cape Town is our new favourite city and the people of South Africa incredibly friendly.
We can't wait to return to Derwent House to see Caro,l Jo and the wonderful staff.
This a real gem.
Manchester UK.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a part of our honeymoon. The suite we stayed in was amazing - more like an apartment really! The staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool area was lovely. The breakfasts were fantastic! We really loved this place and would definately look to stay again! Great location to visit the sites of Cape Town too.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2011

This was simply a fabulous hotel, the staff were exceptionally helpful and friendly, which was fantastic as I was a little nervous about being a lone female travelling alone to South Africa.
The service was superb and on the evenings I didnt wish to go out and dine alone, there was a takeaway menu book, with every type of food available delivered to your room!
I would certainly recommend this hotel, and Its not very often I can confidently say I will go back and stay!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2011

We stayed at Derwent House for 3 nights at the beginning of February 2011. This was the last place we stayed at the end of a two and a half week trip all over South Africa. I think it's safe to say it was the best place we stayed throughout the trip.
I arranged for 3 nights at Derwent House as a birthday present for my boyfriend, so wanted somewhere a bit more special than a hostel or your run of the mill hotel. As soon as we arrived, after a long and sweaty car journey from Darling we were transported into a stylish, relaxed and luxurious environment that would be ours to enjoy for the next 3 days! I knew straight away that I'd picked the right place.

Our room was right next to the pool and had an amazing decking area out the back which was both private and got a lot of sun, which was lovely. The room was everything we needed, a bed with ensuite bathroom and all the amenities we needed to make our stay as comfortable and relaxed as possible.

The Hotel has a great location, very close to the Table Mountain Cableway and a short 10-15mins taxi ride down to the waterfront. As its on Kloof St, a buzzing hub of bars, shops and restaurants we felt right at home and never felt too far from anything. We had tours and trips pre-arranged but we were otherwise quite flexible with what we did with the rest of our days, including just relaxing around the pool in the hotel.

The best asset to this hotel is its staff. Carol and Jo the owners, personally came to greet and welcome us whilst we were having breakfast one morning, and the took the time to ask us about our trip and our plans for Cape Town. They were extremely friendly and helpful and gave us a few tips about places to go and see. The other staff at the hotel were just as friendly and asked us everyday if we needed any taxi's or restaurants booked for that day. We were also convinced to go on a Bus tour of the city and had the map, leaflet and directions provided by the hotel before we even got down to the bus stop. Breakfast at the hotel was incredible, such a wide variety to choose from, both hot and cold food. The hotel also has an honesty bar which we found very useful especially after the long car journey the first night! But the best bit was the FREE cake and tea everyday at 4pm which if you were back from a day out at that time, was a warm welcome back!

We absolutely loved it here, from the beautiful views, the location, the hospitality and the luxurious atmosphere. It felt like they were inviting us into their home. Definetly Money well spent, and we shall definitely be visiting them again!

Room Tip: So close to the Table Mountain Cable Car station.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2011

Great location between waterfront and Table Mountain (10 mins each by car) in Tamberskloof district, within walking distance of wide range of bars and restaurants.
Excellent service from staff, always willing to be flexible and provide helpful local advice.
Great little extras including all day complimentary fresh tea / coffee, free wireless and use of hotel computer.
Small but pleasant pool / deck area - perfect for cooling off after busy day seeing the sights.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 12 April 2011

Carol, Jo, Chris and all of the staff took great care of us, had great recommendations for a variety of things to do in and around the city. The location has great for walking to restaurants and shopping. The rooms had incredible views of Table Mountain and Loin's Head. Can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 6 April 2011

I can't really add anything new to the 500 or so great reviews that are already on here about Derwent House. Everything fantastic applies - especially the superior service from the always approachable and friendly Carol, Jo, Chris, Vuyo and Malibongwe as well as the great cooks. (the omelette and pancakes at breakfast are really outstanding) As 99% of this place is great, I will mention the few small things we had a bit of a problem with. Although they don't say so, some people might get the impression that their location is close to the V & A waterfront - wrong!! We got the impression it was about a 30 minute walk which is what we wanted as we needed the exercise, and especially after the fantastic breakfasts! It is in actuality 3 miles, which was not bad as the weather was beautiful and there's lots of shops along the way on Kloof St., but coming back I'd definitely recommend a taxi as it's uphill all the way back. Also, when we booked our room, there was a stipulation on their website which said children over the age of 8 are welcome. We have nothing against kids, but my husband and I were looking for peace and quiet by the pool on the days we weren't touring, and there were newborn babies as well as toddlers while we were there. Overall they were pretty good, but sometimes were pretty daunting and this was not expected by us.(We notice now this stipulation has been removed from the website) As well, we were surprised to find that the lovely pool starts at about 5 feet, which is unusual for a pool. As I had a near drowning experience when I was younger, and as I'm only 5'2'', the water was at my mouth when I stood up and I was very uneasy so consequently I could not have the fun of dog-paddling around in the water at all for the 2 weeks we were there. I know that's my own personal thing, but a disappointment nonetheless at having a deeper pool. Overall, a truly wonderful place and highly recommended!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a beautiful room which is bigger
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
#8 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Cape Heritage Hotel
Cape Heritage Hotel
#11 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Derwent House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!