“Service and hospitality beyond compare.”

Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Cape Town Central
Andover, Minnesota
“Service and hospitality beyond compare.”
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I had the good fortune to spend 8 nights at Derwent House this month while on a business trip. I'd read glowing reviews in advance in Trip Advisor and found all the positive accolades to be well deserved.

The room had a lovely view of the pool and a juliet balcony - and had everything I needed: a DVD player and flat screen TV , hair dryer, plenty of storage space for my luggage and clothes.. and a desk to work.

Beyond the lovely views, pool and delicious cooked-to-order breakfasts each day, what really stood out for me was the service and hospitality Carol, Jo and their staff provide.

I needed a 3G card for my laptop - Carol went out and got one for me.
I decided on the spur of the moment to get a haircut - and Vuyo booked me at a lovely salon nearby.
I needed a place to freshen up before my 0:50 late night departure - Carol and Jo were able to find a room at a neighboring Inn when they were all booked up - and moved my luggage there for me while I was at work.

Each morning Jo or Carol would check with me to see if there was anything I needed - or if I needed any sight-seeing recommendations or dinner ideas. They are the consummate hosts!

Everything I needed to be productive, and all I could want for my downtime to be truly relaxed was right at hand...and for a rate that was equal to or less than my company's contracted rate with the bigger V&A waterfront hotels.

In summary:
This small hotel is truly an oasis - it's beautiful, calm, and in a nice quiet neighborhood that is close to shopping and restaurants. Derwent House is so lovely you'll want to spend a day just relaxing around the poolside and is also a perfect base from which to explore all the amazing sights Cape Town has to offer as well.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank geeky_mama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Reviewed 24 January 2010

Really enjoyed our stay. Hotel is really nicely done out, great reception area and pool. Loved the honesty bar, free tea and cake. All the staff are great, Carol and Jo particularly friendly and good fun, really helpful with suggestions and generally socialising.

Loved it, would definitely go back...

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Siharris28
Reviewed 24 January 2010

My wife and I stayed at Derwent House for the last three nights of our two week holiday in Cape Town. There really isn't much more to add to all the previous glowing reviews except to reiterate what a marvelous place Derwent House is. The staff are all very friendly, extremely efficient and just lovely. We had Room 2 which overlooked the pool and had a balcony and terrace from which you could just see Table Mountain. The room wasn't massive but more than ample and very comfortable and stylishly decorated. The swimming pool looked very nice and was a decent size compared to many that we had seen at other hotels in the Western Cape. Breakfast was extremely good and was served either in the open plan dining room or on the terrace overlooking the pool. There is a small kitchen just off the dining room with an honesty bar as well as which guests can use to make tea, coffee etc. and there are yummy cakes provided for afternoon tea. One very nice touch was that sitting by the pool one afternoon we were offered choc ices. What we both liked about Derwent House so much was how homely it felt and we looked forward to getting back "home" after a day sight-seeing; in fact it was a very great temptation just to spend the days lounging by the pool rather than getting out and making the most of being in Cape Town! The owners Carol and Jo were endlessly helpful and in particular made a couple of very useful suggestions before arrived that meant we were able to skip the queues at Table Mountain and Robben Island. I am extremely hard to please when it comes to hotels and with Derwent House Carol and Jo have achieved pretty much the perfect "boutique" hotel and we would be back again like a shot!

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LondonLocations
Reviewed 20 January 2010

After a cancelled flight, a lot of stress and tiredness, we felt immediately relaxed and fell straight into holiday mode after being warmly greeted by Carol & Jo who made us feel very welcome. Derwent House is superb, it ticks all the boxes. After reading the reviews I couldn't imagine it would live up to expectations, but it surpassed all my expectations. The breakfasts were superb, sumptuous, healthy and their special "Bircher" muesli is a must to try. We loved returning in the afternoon to a delicious slice of carrot cake and coffee overlooking the pool. We stayed in several places during our holiday in S.A. but none matched the faultless service, ambience and hospitality of Derwent House. Carol, Jo and all the staff are the perfect hosts, nothing is too much trouble, . Make sure you speak to the night porter - his imitation of John Cleese and the Monty Python films is brilliant! We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Bumblebee_9
Seattle, WA USA
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We had a wonderful stay at Derwent House during the holidays. We didn't want to leave! The house and grounds are lovely, clean and stylish. There is quality and thoughtfulness in everything around you. Watercolors by Mr. Mandela throughout the house are especially meaningful, and we highly recommend a visit to Robben Island. Carol and Jo and their staff are genuinely welcoming and helpful. Someone is always available to assist you with reservations or transportation or simply to greet you when you return "home". Great location, secure parking, excellent food and beverages. Derwent House is clearly our favorite!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KristyNOAA
Bujumbura, Burundi
Reviewed 20 January 2010

What a find! We were looking for a nice and quiet place to stay over the holidays and discovered this gem of a boutique hotel. Wonderfully run by a lovely couple Carol and Jo, we stayed in the apartment just behind the hotel and it was perfect. Parking space, access to the pool, a terrific welcome basket, 2 nice bottles of excellent SA wine. It felt like home and was the perfect location (Tamboerskloof) -- easy access to everywhere.
Highly, HIGHLY recommend it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Buja_8
Southampton
Reviewed 20 January 2010

We had only a few days in Cape Town and we were so pleased to have spent it in Derwent House, the place is beautifully maintained and designed, and the staff are all helpful and very welcoming. We have stayed in some of the best hotels in the World (like Le Manoir aux Quat Saison and Le Quartier Francais) and although Derwent doesn't have the opulent luxury of those places, it does have 'the answer is yes, now what is the question' sort of attitude that makes staying there a delight. The breakfast and food bar is great as well! Definitely stay if you are visiting Cape Town.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
#8 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Cape Heritage Hotel
Cape Heritage Hotel
#11 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Derwent House Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!