“Outstanding service, cozy place, friendly hosts...all and all: A B&B that feels like home”

and 1 more site!
La Rose Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 156 Cape Town Central B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed at La Rose B&B for two nights and I have nothing but GREAT things to say about this place.

Service: From the moment I arrived, I was received very warmly by one of the ladies of the staff, who gave me a tour around the place and shoeed me my room.Then the owner, Yoann came and introduced himself and gave me very useful tips about things to do in Cape Town, where to eat, shop, etc. He is such a kind and attentive man, and his wife is so sweet and lovely; no wonder this place feels like home right away. Breakfast is delicious and the dining room is super cute and colorful. And eating breakfast with them and other guests fromm all over the worldis so much fun!

My room had all I needed: AC, comfy bed, my own bathroom, a safe, armoir,TV and free Wi Fi. The cleaningless if the place is superb. Every room in La Rose is different and you can see Yoann and his wife put their hearts and souls in making it special. The hosts arranged for a car to take me to the airport and helped me with my luggage, making me feel they were friends.

La Rose is very central and the location is great! Surrounded by many restaurants (Yoann will give you detailed info about your options) and it's only 5 min away from The Greenmarket square, great for souvenirs and African curious.

To summarize: This is where you would want to stay while visiting Cape Town when traveling solo, with your partner, or family. Yoann and his wife will make sure you feel like you're home. Stop looking around, believe me (and my standards are so high).

Thank you for everything Yoann and wife. I will be coming back!!!

Cecilia from NY

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Cecilia G

Reviewed 18 January 2012

Although Yoann could not assist with all the nights we tried to book for our client, he was honest, professional and courteous!! We love your professional service!!! I have given FULL marks on all aspects of the accommodation as my previous clients loved it!!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2012

As part of our honeymoon my wife and I spent a delightful 5 nights in the beautiful Bo Kaap bolt hole that is La Rose - forget the high rise mundane offerings of the major chains and the masses of the waterfront, this Cape Town gem offers all the comforts, great location and personalised service that you could wish for on a Cape stay - we loved it.

Despite our post midnight arrival the owner Johan had waited up to show us to our lovely room and make sure all was well - a nice touch which set the scene for the service to follow.

The morning gave us a first taste of the gorgeous La Rose breakfast - delicious fresh fruit salad, daily homemade baked muffins and eggs to order (we're still missing the best poached eggs ever eaten!!). The setting couldn't have complemented the food better - a beautiful courtyard style dinning area with a fully glassed ceiling. Without being overly intrusive Johan joined us for breakfast each morning for a regular dose of Anglo/French banter as well as some great tips on things to do and where to eat and drink - more perfect hosts you couldn't wish for.

We loved the Bo Kaap district with its gorgeous bright coloured buildings, it's township heritage and its thriving Muslim community. It's a real oasis in the city which has a laid back village feel whilst still being walkable to the waterfront and all central tourist attractions. It's steeped in history do certainly worth a visit to the small bokaap museum just up the road from la rose.

I guess like most major south African cities, darkness brings a slightly edgy dimension to some of the streets of cape town and although we had no incident I would recommend taxis after dark especially as they're so cheap.

We loved our stay at La Rose and would highly recommend it to couples and families alike looking for a personal touch, excellent accommodation and breakfasts and a great cape town base.

Thanks Johan and family
Tim and Stacey

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 11 January 2012

I have to agree with the previous comment - We also stayed for four days in La Rose B&B in December and we enjoyed every minute of it.
Yoann and his wife are perfects guests, the rooms are comfortable, the breakfast is great and the location of the B&B is ideal. It is located in BoKaap - one of the most interesting area of the city - and very close to the center.
We ll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We can't say enough good things about this wonderful B+B that we stayed in for 4 nights in December, but here are our top 5;

1. Yoann and his family are brilliant host - We arrived after a long overnight flight, but Yoann had organised a taxi from the airport and checking in at 8am wasn't a problem. Throughout the week, Yoann and his wife went out their way to make us feel welcome and comfortable. Every morning they'd spend time chatting to guests, sharing their love of Cape Town with tips of places to go to visit that might not be in the guidebook or recommendations for places to eat. The perfect hosts.

2. Great location - The B+B is no more than a 5 minute walk from Long Street where you can catch the Open-Top Sightseeing bus and close to Cape Quarter which has lots of good places to eat out in. A taxi to V+A Waterfront will cost you around 25 rand. The only minor downside is that to get to Long Street you do have to cross a fairly busy road which could be difficult for families with smaller children, but the Bo Kaap area is really fun area to stay in with it brightly coloured buildings.

3. Breakfast - A fantastic spread of fruit, fresh bread, home-made muffins, eggs cooked to order and juice. Served around a communal table which was a nice way to get to know other staying. Most days we skipped lunch because we were so full.

4. Comfortable Rooms - It's clear that lots of effort has gone into converting the building in the BoKaap area of Cape Town. It's absolutely stunning but in keeping to the style of the area. Some people come to Cape Town concerned about safety but Yoann has made a the B+B feels very secure and safe without making it feel like Fort Knox! The room we stayed in was well equipped with a large double bed, a modern en-suit and a nice view of Table Mountain. Their is also a small communal kitchen area for those who want to make use of fridge.

5. The Rooftop - Make sure you head up to the roof for the stunning views across the city and up to the mountain. It's a perfect place to end a busy day with a bottle of wine!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The good: the hosts were wonderful and helpful. The breakfast were excellent and the conversation with guests from all over the world was fun. It is centrally located and we walked to the V&A harbour, as well as downtown.

Minuses: the "partial Table Mt. view" of the Cerise Room was just a tiny peek at part of it, over iron bars and cars parked outside the window. The room was small and not as nice as it appears in their photo. There are not enough electric outlets, a lack of countersspace in the bathroom, and some noise through the windows to the inner breakfast room. It was safe, but we felt insecure, as we were advised to not park at night in the courtyard/alley (where our door was), and property owners on the block have hired a guard for the street at night. It would be inconvenient in rainy weather.

Room Tip: Don't choose Cerise room for a view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shadow010
Reviewed 9 December 2011

A very welcoming first stop in South Africa. The property has tasteful interiors and is lovingly mainatained. Yoann and his family are very attentive and caring hosts with great ideas about what to do and where to go for the uninitiated. The communal breakfast is wonderful in every respect, where guests have a chance to meet one another and recount experiences and exchange ideas. The up and coming colorful neighborhood of Bo Kaap is airy and a convenient walking distance away from the busy commercial strip surrounding Long Street, though too quiet after dark which might make it appear a tad bit dodgy at first. All in all, I would highly recommend staying at La Rose for travelers seeking an authentic Cape Town experience.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo