“Good food in a quiet setting”
Review of Emily's - CLOSED

Emily's
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Washington DC
“Good food in a quiet setting”
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My husband and I ate here in February 2014 and enjoyed our experience. The service was prompt and our waiter was knowledgeable. The food was delightful--I had the chicken malay curry and he had the babotie.

• Visited February 2014

Cape Town
“Excellent in every respect”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My fiance and I visited this restaurant for the first time on Saturday morning, 1 February 2014. The setting is charming with outdoor seating under a huge tree and umbrellas for shade, surrounded by a lovely garden and lawns. Though it is not far from a busy street, the noise did not intrude at all and the feeling was of peace and tranquility. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the food was excellent. I had a toasted cheese, ham and tomato sandwich and my fiance had the same minus the ham. The food was fresh, ample and well prepared, served with french fries and a very good salad. It was one of the best light meals we've had and we'll certainly be back for more. The total bill, including two cups of coffee each, came to R136.00 which is excellent value. I highly recommend Emily's.

• Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Cape Town has many excellent restaurants but, over the years I have learned that dining at even some of the most successful and otherwise excellent eateries during High Season (Christmas and New Year ) especially, is a bit hit and miss.

We booked this restaurant, formerly in the Waterfront and now moved to Kloof Street, for dinner. The limited menu comprising 3 starters, 3 main courses and 3 desserts was uninspired and the food was generally very average with the exception of the desserts which in fairness were pretty good.

The restaurant has an open kitchen and from where I was sitting I witnessed the chefs prodding my steak with their fingers several times and tasting and re tasting the sauce and then using the same spoon again to stir or thicken it. Frankly, whilst I have no objection to an open kitchen, this particular eye witness account put me off visiting Emily's again.

Carpaccio of Springbok was too thick, over garnished and generally average and the steak was equally ordinary and not cooked medium rare as ordered, as indeed was the Cape Malay curry option ordered by another person in my party.

Chefs should be mindful that guests do not like to see them tasting and then using the same spoon again having had it in their mouth and prodding steaks after just having smoked a cigarette in plain view of us.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank WorldTravellerFirst
Edinburgh
“A superb dinner - highly recommended!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We were enticed into Emilys by the lovely gardens, completely unaware of the reputation of owner Peter Veldsman in CT. This is one place you must try if you appreciate excellent food, service, setting and value - not to mention a comprehensive wine list!

The amusee buche was the start of a truly delightful dining experience as we were unaware of the reputation of the chef.
Such care is taken to ensure that everything leaving the kitchen is perfect. Beautifully presented & more importantly, absolutely delicious food!! I loved the plates and discovered that after 22 yrs in business they have an entire roomful ! The pickled fish and Bobotie (A traditional South African dish) were fabulous and so tasty - the chocolate dessert was almost too good to eat and the ginger pudding with wine jelly surpassed my husbands expectations too

We are sure that this new location for Emily's will be a real hit with locals and it's definitely worth making a trip for - it's a definite 'destination' restaurant and they are right to be proud of their new venture

Thank you to the team and Chef Peter Veldsman for a memorable last evening in CT

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank WoodsFamilyEdinburgh
Perth, United Kingdom
“Quirky Restuarant”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

An excellent eatery. Food and wines of very high quality. Staff exceedingly helpful.
The quirkiness was due to some of the pictures on the walls a few of them definitely being unusual to say the least.

Visited November 2013