“Even better than my mother's cooking”
Review of Savoy Cabbage

Savoy Cabbage
Ranked #20 of 1,182 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$20 - US$40
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Enjoy creative contemporary cooking in a visually exciting venue. With its historic Table Mountain stone and old brick that dates back to the 18th century, architect Leon Saven's design is complemented by glass, concrete and exposed ducting. Cabbage motif chandeliers and salt dishes, fine table appointments and impeccable service reflect outstanding attention to detail. The menu alters daily, using the freshest local produce and combines unusual flavours to excite the palate of the discerning diner. Free range organic and ethically sourced ingredients. Allergies catered for. A boutique wine list which is very reasonably priced.
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

WoW! This was one of the best restaurants that I have ever been to. I started with the spiced nuts salad with infused pears and nuts followed by the kudu loin. Dessert was a selection of quince crumble and a range of puddings. The prices were on the high side but you paying for quality so enjoy yourself! Will definitely go back.....

Reviewed 9 May 2014

As one of Cape Town's more expensive restaurants I was expecting something really special. The Savoy Cabbage was good - very good even - but not truly special and not the best meal we had in Cape Town.

The service was friendly but rather lazy.

The food was good and somewhat adventurous but didn't succeed in pushing boundaries. My meal was solid, my partner's was at times outstanding, so I guess there's some luck depending on what you order.

I had steak tartare to start - under-seasoned but reassuringly fresh and vibrant. For main I had eland and this, and particularly the jus it was served with, were delicious. My dessert was a plum soup which sounded more exciting than it tasted.

My partner started with chicken liver mousse with brioche. Her main was duck breast and she still raves about how good this was. Her dessert was creme brulee.

A good meal but overpriced and we had better meals for less money elsewhere (Sevruga being my pick of them).

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Modern restaurant with nice design industrial interior. Beautiful art inside. Surprising menu with innovative dishes. We enjoyed luch and were the only customers but still: much recommended.

1  Thank BerrieW
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Service excellent from the time you arrive, through food and wine selection and the bill.

Menu has interesting variety and everyone found something they liked. Chicken Liver Parfait is outstanding- have it! Enough 'game' dishes for foreign guests to experiment with all presented in a way that's should be appealing and delicate to them.

Never thought the simple Malva Pudding could taste that good.

Really good atmosphere created in appealing industrial settling.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Having recently become both lactose and gluten intolerant eating out can be a problem but not at this restaurant. The owner, Caroline, advised me on which dishes were suitable. I had a salad where pears poached in wine nestled in a selection of leaves followed by perfectly cooked lamb so beautifully presented it seemed almost a shame to disturb it! I was looked after by the charming Beth who ensured my evening was enjoyable. As usual I found the atmosphere welcoming and the service both attentive and friendly. It will certainly be the first restaurant I will visit when I next return to Capetown.