“Never disagree with a lady”

Belthazar Restaurant and Wine Bar
Ranked #41 of 1,196 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Belthazar, a veritable theatre of fine food and wine on the cutting-edge of "shoppertainment". A multi-purpose restaurant, grill, wine bar and gourmet home accessory shop, Belthazar brings a chic new concept in the culinary arts to Cape Town.Belthazar is the realization of a lifelong passion for wine shared by the Belthazar team. Their vision was to create the largest "wine by the glass" wine bar in the world. Experienced sommeliers expertly serve up to 250 of the Cape's finest wines by the glass and advise customers on a wine-list of up to 600 fine wines and sought-after rare vintages.Indulge your palate. Belthazar is so much more than good food and wine. Indulge in the best - from the world's finest wine glasses and revolutionary wine technology to the slick service, superb aged Karan beef, export quality Mozambican shellfish and the freshest South African seafood. We invite you to indulge in the grand finale - a platter of boutique South African cheeses perfectly paired with a selection of Cape port wines...
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Lots of outside seating which is great for people watching. I ordered a 400g fillet steak and the waiter recommended I consider a smaller steak (I finished the steak!) it was huge but would recommend anything that size is "butterflied" if you want it cooked medium or more. The wine list is immense (but too full of advertising) luckily my friends knew the wine buyer for the restaurant and he was able to recommend a fantastic SA Malbec. Good value for money but I would suggest the hostess isn't so obvious in her judgement of people on arrival when then ask if a member of staff is working (ie the wine buyer) very aloof!

Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Belthazar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Bernadette, thank you for posting your review. We cut and age our own steaks, so the service ambassadors are well prepared to offer our guests the correct cut of meat and size. Our wine list has won many awards and it needs to be immense as we list over 600 wines. We look forward to your next visit. Regards, Belthazar

Write a ReviewReviews (2,775)

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Six of us for special occasion. Expert service from waiter - sommelier not as expert but ok. We had a variety from the menu and it was all good. Very good wine selections, with great wines by the glass too. Pricey by SA standards (but still reasonable by international standards). Good place for a more upmarket meal.

Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Belthazar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Andrew, thanks for the review. Apologies that the sommelier was not up to the same standard as the service ambassadors that looked after you. We will investigate this. Look forward to having you dine with us again soon. Regards, Belthazar

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

We stopped in for dinner while staying at the V&A waterfront for a vacation; we did not have a reservation (you'll need to make one!) but were able to be seated at the bar.

The atmosphere was great and the bartender was very quick and took great care of us. The food we had was delicious - I chose a prawn salad and my husband had an exceptional steak.

We tried the Peter Falke Pinot Noir and loved it. A very large wine selection to choose from for all price points. Loved the newspaper style menu and tags on the wine glasses were a nice touch.

We would highly recommend this restaurant!

Dear REReinke, was glad to read that you were looked after satisfactorily by our barmen. You are right. The Peter Flake is a great wine choice. Very popular. We hope that you will call in advance next time and reserve yourself a table and enjoy the wonderful experience that Belthazar offers. Regards, Belthazar

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I got stranded in Cape Town as my flight was cancelled. I never been in such luck. I ended up having one of the best evenings ever thanks to Kaylee that helped me through the menu at Belthazar. I had one of the top three best meals ever in my entire life and in my line of business I travel around the world on a regular basis. The feel I got from this place is that it is steady as the mountains that surround the city. With this I mean that I am safe in mind that if I visit Belthazar again I will be in for a treat. Thanks Kaylee for helping out, spending some time with me making sure I was ok and happy with everything. I wasn't happy. I was in orbit surfing the milkyway of pleasure.

Dear Ploppegott, so nice to read your review and that Kaylee looked after you so well. We look forward to your next visit, this time under different circumstances....Regards, Belthazar

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Booked for dinner as had excellent meal / experience a few years ago and due to the fact the have a hugh selection of wines by the glass. This time it was a major disappointment. Thing started going wrong when the waiter (very charming and helpful) took the order without writing it down (This seems to be the trend these days and inevitablity things go wrong) - true enough it did as some side orders were missing. The food itself is good, very meat centric but steaks were properly cooked. There is a excellent wine list both by the glass and bottle.

The real low of the evening was having a glass of wine at the bar afterwards. Ordering a glass of red, the bottle ran out half way to filling the glass, Instead of replacing the bottle, the waiter just topped up the glass with a different wine from a random glass being stored behind the counter !!!. On complaining to the Somielier , there was just and air of indifference and he said he would get me a replacement glass. No apology and we still had to pay it!

This left a real sour taste and such a shame as we had been so looking forward to the evening. Sadly this place is now trading on past performance. There are now better places in Capetown where you get get good steaks.

1  Thank Richard J
Andrew H, Guest Relations Manager at Belthazar Restaurant and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear Richard, my sincerest apologies for the unfortunate experience regarding the glass of wine. I can assure you that this is most definitely not a standard of our establishment at all. As you mentioned you have dined here in the past, and we have not dropped our service levels. This is purely an isolated incident, however, we thank you for bringing it to our attention for us to investigate it further. Regards, Belthazar