“The best of the bunch”

Ranked #39 of 1,306 Restaurants in Cape Town Central
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Good for: Child-friendly
Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

We loved Willoughby &Co. It was the best dining experience we had in Cape Town and we went twice in 5 days. Do not be put off by the location or the queues. You get some wine to sip if you have to wait in line and it is never a long wait. Sitting at the bar watching the chefs and chatting to our neighbours was a real highlight of our whole trip to SA. I ordered the half portion sushi platters which were more than enough with a side of perfect veg tempura. My Dad enjoyed the sweet and sour kingklip and the ginger beef. All the fish was sparkling fresh and served with a smile and a chat from the lovely staff. It was so much better than the touristy offerings at Victoria Wharf. On my second visit I attempted to recommend a dish to my neighbour who turned out to be a regular diner there for 20 years. And he was the head of the SA tourism association ! No finer recommendation.

Date of visit: April 2017
Write a ReviewReviews (3,751)

Reviewed 5 May 2017

I always eat at Willoughby's when I am in Cape Town.
There is a always a queue, and it is always busy. It's in a mall, yes, but that's usually the worst thing to be said about this otherwise excellent restaurant.

This last time the quality of the sushi wasn't up to par - sloppily rolled, poorly cut, and not the best rice. Quality of fish and seafood was good though. I hope this was an unfortunate once-off by a trainee sent out before a trained chef checked the pass, and not the sign of a great restaurant resting on its laurels, because other than this time, I have always had wonderful meals there.

I'll go again - but if I get another sushi roll that looks like I made it instead of an expert, I'll be calling the manager...;)

Reviewed 3 May 2017

While in Capetown, looking for great places for dinner, came across this place in the mall at the Waterfront. Our server , Lewis, was great. Our meal was well paced and the oysters and kingklip fish were tops. The dessert of almonds, caramel, and light custard filling was exquisite! Although we were sitting inside the mall without a waterfront view, I would not change a thing. It was our best meal in Capetown

Reviewed 3 May 2017

If you love sushi and you are at the V&A Waterfront, then you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't eat at Willoughby's. Consistently amazing - you have to have the creamy rock shrimp maki or the 4X4!! Always brilliant service

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Some of Cape Town's best restaurants rate on a par with any city in the world. Willoughby's is one of those restaurants, the fact that it is full seven nights a week gives testament to this. A significant percentage of diners seem to opt for the sushi menu, but this does not do justice to the outstanding selection and quality of seafood dishes contained in an extensive menu. You could probably eat a different meal seven nights a week for a month at Willoughby's and never be disappointed. Personal favourites include the calamari tubes in thai green curry sauce starter which is outstanding, sweet and sour kingclip, high quality fresh fish perfectly prepared, and whilst the soft shell crab may not be the best dish on the menu, it is very tasty, and something of a treat insofar as this is a delicacy that can only be obtained in a handful of restaurants in South Africa. The crispness of the philo pastry in the Mille Feuille dessert further serves to illustrate the sheer quality of the place. Wine selection is good, and service staff are always efficient, attentive and seemingly enjoying their roles, whereby despite always being busy the restaurant runs like clockwork. Food and service of this quality does not come cheap, but Willoughby's is not over priced, and is worth every cent.

Date of visit: May 2017