“Would definitely return”

Nine Flowers Guest House
Where I am
“Would definitely return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

I had a wonderful 5 night stay at Nine Flowers and would definitely return.

General area: I never felt unsafe and I was travelling alone. That being said, I was often approached and asked for money, but never felt threatened. I also didn't take any silly risks.

PROS:
Breakfast was lovely, especially the daily specials.
FABULOUS location - several restaurants nearby, little convenience store, short walk to Long Street, near both Stop 7 & 8 for the Hop on, Hop off bus, next to Company Gardens
Plug adapter in the room - this was really welcome as South Africa has their own older style of plug (some newer outlets in S.A. have the two prong European style)
Township tour with Laura and the fact that she and her school are supported by Nine Flowers.

I had planned most of my excursions myself so didn't require much advice from my hosts, but my one small complaint was that when I did ask about the end time for a specific activity at Table Mountain, the answer was guessed and not confirmed with the operator by phone. As a result, and it was my last day to be able to do it, I arrived too late and missed my chance. I was quite disappointed, but I guess it just means that I get to try it on my next visit (and I'll be sure to confirm the timing myself). :)

I would highly recommend Nine Flowers.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank neferTT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reims, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I just spent 3 nights at the Nine Flowers Guest House in Cape Town. The room was beautiful and perfectly clean. The guest house provided high comfort and the staff is very kind. The guest house is located at 10-15 minutes from down town which is very handy for visiting. I strongly recommend this place!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carolina T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a beautiful guest house that has the look and field of a comfortable and airy home with the convenience of a hotel. Although situated in the Cape Town CBD, the house is peaceful and one hardly senses the fact of being in the city.

The host, Matthew, is very friendly, has a sincere client focus and really goes out of his way to ensure a comfortable stay.

The facility is also child friendly (the staircase to access bedrooms being the only thing I'd imagine to possibly be a concern for parents).

This is a wonderful and very affordable home-away-from-home with the amenities of a hotel. I highly recommend it for visitors to Cape Town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Lebogang M
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

From the moment we knew we would be in good hands. Located just off Company's Gardens, close to friendly neighbourhood bars and up-market restaurants. Matthew was a welcoming friend, an attentive host, and a great advisor on what to do and see, and what to avoid. And the house décor and design was wonderful - a shaded courtyard, communal room / breakfast area, and lovely bedrooms with en-suite.

We have been to Cape Town many times over the last 14 years but usually stayed in Hout Bay or Kirstenhof. Nine Flowers gave us a great base right in the centre of Cape Town, or a few minutes by taxi if nervous about walking at night.

Also, there is a secure car park opposite at no additional charge.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2 rooms (having extended our stay) and both were excellent. No reason to doubt the othe...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank John P
Westbourne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

The B and B is in a really good position, and the staff were so helpful, Matthew has the 3 h,s that is hospitality, helpfulness and a wicked sense of humour, There are a good selection of restaurants in the immediate locality, we went to Societi which was excellent value for money and great food and was in easy walking distance. We stayed here for a few nights to start our holiday and we were looking forward to coming 'home' before we flew back to UK . Thank You

Room Tip: We were happy with the room with a balcony at the front, not that you used the balcony!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank borntotravel1990
Dorchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My first time in Cape Town and I'm so glad I found Nine Flowers. I stayed for 7 nights so had plenty of time to judge the quality of Nine Flowers and, in that time, can only say that the standard was excellent throughout. All the staff were friendly and helpful, booking taxis, restaurants and providing an excellent laundry service. It was lovely to come back after an evening out to find the bed turned down, a welcoming light on in the room and a little pastry waiting on the bed. Matthias and Marrin, the owners, were friendly and extremely helpful.

I also used their in-house travel service to arrange car hire and accommodation for the rest of my trip. Initially I was a bit anxious that they would try to push the more expensive up-market places but Matthias listened to what I wanted and gave me a few options to choose from, with a range of prices. He also suggested when it might be nice to 'splash out' a little and when it would be easier to save a little money by staying somewhere a bit cheaper. He made some suggestions to change my planned itinerary slightly and gave good reasons why he thought a change might be beneficial. Marrin said that they know the accommodation they recommend and, based on their own clientele, they can judge the types of places that people would like to stay, a simple concept but very useful.

The Guest House is situated in the Gardens area, I felt it was a very safe area and was comfortable walking around on my own. It is easy to walk to the main shopping area, and pleasant to walk through the Gardens to get there. Oh, and afternoon tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel (5 minutes away on foot) is a real treat!

I would certainly recommend Nine Flowers to anyone visiting Cape Town.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank GandT01
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Just returned from a 2 weeks trip to South Africa, and while in Cape Town,we stayed at the Nine Flowers Guest House for 3 nights and it was an excellent experience! A great location, being a short - and very safe - walk to lively Long Street and Kloof Street, and also lying right on the Hop On Hop Off bus line. Matthias was an excellent host, very helpful and was always ready to help us with our constant questions and requests, such as arranging our township tour (another experience I would definitely recommend), restaurant reservations etc. To put it simply, Matthias could not do enough for us

As others have said, breakfast was excellent and the rooms were absolutely spotless. For certain, next time we're in Cape Town, we'll be staying at the Nine Flowers for sure

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the inner courtyard but to be honest, the street is pretty quiet so I'd...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple