“Little bit disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of River Cafe - CLOSED

River Cafe
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Little bit disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

The River Cafe is a restaurant in my favorite Top 10 in Cape Town so I was very pleased when my friend invited me for her birth day lunch there today. I even have brought clients there and normally the service, food, ambience is excellent. Today I was disappointed. Luckily we were seated close to the fire place but then the 2 fans were on. It was freezing cold outside and a fan really is not necessary. It was switched off when we asked. In a restaurant like the River Cafe I really wouldn't expect paper serviettes. Please come on guys, just bring on the linen ones. Constantia Uitsig is a 5 star place where you expect this.
We waited very long before we could order our drinks (3 glasses of bubbly which my friend pointed out in the menu). The lady brought a bottle of sparkling water instead!! After 2 different waitresses had attended our table, eventually the actual waitress introduced herself to us. Very friendly lady. We all ordered tempura prawns for starters. The plates looked stunning. The shells were not taken off properly of the prawns so it was rather annoying to eat them. They were very fresh and crisp though. My vegetarian main course was delicious (crepes) with a nice side salad, no comments. The chocolate fondant unfortunately was sold out, so me being serious chocoholic was a bit disappointed again. Then the next things were 2 capuccino's that just looked horrible, the milk was burned, no froth/foam at all. In a restaurant like this I would expect the perfect capuccino.
I feel the staff really needs some training in food & wine knowledge. The lady that brought the main course had no clue what was on the plate. Then suddenly another waitress plonked some deserts on the table which we hadn't even ordered yet. It was all a bit messy and below standards.
I would still come back because maybe this time we were just an unlucky table. Normally everything is perfect here. Hope management will read this and take action.

1 Thank JessyLip

England
“Great place to go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2009

Restaurant is attached to a winery, so you can also taste before you buy. Went for Sunday lunch, it's very busy so you will need to make resevations. Great food, such a shame I had to send my main course back because it was cold. Waistline busting desserts, my sticky vinegar pudding was to die for, and the only other moan was poor quality coffee which tasted burnt. Happy and friendly staff made up for the slow service. 3 course meal for 3 with wine and a tip around R800 (about £20 per head Dec 08)
Score out of 10