“Attended a wedding”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
western cape
“Attended a wedding”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had a wonderful time, ceremony was in the old wine cellar, had full use of the restaurant, dining area, and side veranda area. The food was exceptional hats off to the chef, the staff was very good and always obliging. Excellant views of the vineyards

London
“Really good experience”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and myself have just returned from Cape Town.
The last time we ate at Buitenverwachting was two years ago. We always liked the restaurant and at the time they had a 4 and 7 course tasting menu if I remember correctly – both excellent. Service and food were always perfect, sometimes if could have a slightly formal feel to it.
We have now been back and restaurant has undergone a complete change.
The menu has moved away from tasting menus (they still have one but the emphasis is on a more casual dining feel). On our visits we both had for a main course (also a lot of the courses are available as starters too) Steak Tartare which was delicious. Another addition to the menu is what I can only describe as one of the best Wiener Schnitzels I have ever tasted – the restaurant has an Austrian Chef. They have kept – fortunately – their signature desert “Chocolate Variation” which is still as good as ever.
We also both like the fact that the atrium area with great views over the wine estate is no longer set with tablecloth but just wooden tables which gives it a more casual brasserie feel – great.
The staff is wonderful – all very efficient and friendly. Excellent sommelier too.
Cannot recommend it highly enough.

3 Thank Goggo99
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Always a delight”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We have been visiting Buitenverwachting for about two years now and have never been disappointed. The food is excellent, the staff friendly and competent, the atmosphere welcoming and peaceful. Yesterday, we celebrated a birthday at the restaurant and had steak tatare and tomato risotto for starters, and lamb and prawns for mains. What I particularly enjoy is that even if you skip a course, the chef will always send a little something for you to enjoy while others are having their starters or mains or desserts. The Buitenverwachting wines are wonderful and complement the divine food. We took another two bottles with us to enjoy at home. Great views over the vineyard from the main restaurant room. Looking forward to the next meal!

1 Thank Karina B
Constantia, South Africa
“Tourist Trap - not ver good value at all”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

A few years ago we went to Buitenverwachten Restaurant and had an awesome fine dining experience. The service was immaculate and the food was exceptional. So I was extremely disappointed with our recent visit (about 2 weeks ago). The service was sloppy (the waiter got my order wrong!) and the food was average and not very well presented. The meal I was presented with was supposed to be line fish. The fish was not moist and was either overcooked or had been frozen at some stage. Fine dining this is not - and yet the prices they are charging are what one would normally pay for fine dining. I can only assume that the standards have dropped due to the amount of tour groups that are frequenting the restaurant. If you are visiting Constantia and you are looking for a fine dining restaurant, rather go to La Colombe at Constantia Uitsig Wine Farm, or The Greenhouse at Cellars Hohenhort Hotel.

Buitenverwaghten - we expected more from you. It is unfortunate that you have let your standards drop because your restaurant has some of the most awesome views in Constantia.

3 Thank DianneG007
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Outstanding Customer Service!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

My sisters & I treated our parents to a breakfast at Buitenverwachting Restaurant, my mothers birthday as well as anniversary.
An extremely beautiful setting met with exceptional service, by far the best dining experience I have had in Cape Town.
Special thanks must be given to Lanita van Dyk, who went out of her way to make the morning extra special for my parents. Outstanding customer service & for that I will most certainly be back with family & friends.
THANK YOU, Lanita, you left a lasting exceptional impression.

1 Thank Benita D