“I would have given you 5 stars, a year ago...”

Wasabi Asian Restaurant & Dim Sum Bar
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“I would have given you 5 stars, a year ago...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

I'd been here for my first time about 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! The sushi was great, service excellent and atmosphere warm and welcoming. Perfect restuarant for me.

Then... I arranged a lunch visit with my brother and his fiance to meet my new fiance.

Our sushi boards and chopsticks were dirty. Service was so slow. Didn't have the ingredients for the cocktails we wanted (and this in the middle of summer). If it was winter I would have forgiven them. And then we get overcharged to top it all off.

I was so embarrassed that I had recommended the place and felt like sticking my head in the sand.

I still go here occasionally but since a fire in march in the centre, Wasabi has gone down.

They took my favourite dessert - Lindt Chocolate Brownies with caramel sauce off the menu. The existing Lindt sesame seed covered and fried chocolate balls don't even come close to what they used to be. Cloth napkins have now been replaced with a paper serviette and the service ain't what it used to be at all...

So sad... I really liked you. that's right - liked...

Visited August 2012

“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

We had a groupon voucher and thought we are just going for a normal 3 course meal. What a surprise we had. A fantastic starter: a rainbow sushi with salmon and topped with prawn and teriyaki sause and mayonnaise. Excellent main courses: Indonesian chicken curry and Chicken with noodles - very tender chicken. A wonderful desert of banana and chocolate springrolls with ice cream. The service was of a high standard and Wasabi can definately be recommended.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Elise01_11
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Good Creative Sushi combinations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

They could have a slightly more extensive Asian main dish variations but their dim sum and particularly their specialty sushi dishes are top notch. Well constructed wine-list, only real flaw is the venue but it obviously scores as is convenient for locals.

Visited July 2011
Leiden, The Netherlands
“Nice restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2012

Good restaurant if you want a quick bite. Excellent sushi. Located near a shopping mall but full of people and recommended by many

Visited January 2012