“Bad service - Average food”

Cattle Baron Grill House
Ranked #17 of 42 Restaurants in Constantia
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Bad service - Average food”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We visited Cattle Baron on 8th March. We were seated at a table that that had not been cleaned or laid. Our starter ordered was incorrect as we order calamari tubes in chilli and garlic and received cajan with a very curry flavour. We ordered two blackened pepper fillets, both medium, one without chips - very simple order. A Chateaubriand and a pepper steak arrived ; we said the order was incorrect and after a wait the same steaks were brought with the Chateaubriand steak turned over [ no pepper corns ] and flambayed at our table. The steak tasted terrible.We were not charged but our evening was spoilt. We live in the area and are so dissapointed that we have to travel further for a decent steak.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Derickvdv

Walsall
“Excellent Value For Money”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My family were taken to the Cattle Baron by friends late on a Thursday evening. The restaurant was full, but they soon made room for us. The service was attentive and the waiter was helpful. The steak was very good and the price was excellent value for money.

Durban, South Africa
“We would go again….”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

The Cattle Baron was recommended and booked by our B & B hostess. We were a party of 4 and found everything very satisfactory. Our waiter was attentive with a lovely sense of humour. The brand is new to us and we enjoyed the retro feel of the menu and the restaurant. So nice to find a restaurant with good acoustics. Three of us had the chateaubriand and one, grilled fish. We all enjoyed our meal and would probably go again when next in the area.

Prague, Czech Republic
“DEFINITELY THE WORST STEAKS I'VE EVER SEEN IN A STEAKHOUSE”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I ate there with friends and family about two weeks ago. Popped my head in the day before to check out decor etc and was chatted to by Elaine, manager. Told her I usually go to another Cattle Baron, in Tokai, and always very good. She said hers had a bigger menu & was better. So I booked. 5 adults, I child. Three ordered starters. 2 the snails in garlic and blue cheese, one just snails in garlic. The former you could barely taste the cheese, the latter more oily than garlicky. 3 chose Chateaubriand for mains. 1 opted for Kasbah Steak. I asked which was recommended, rump or sirloin. Rump was the definite reply. Mine with a garlic sauce. While waiting, a take away was carried from kitchen through restaurant to reception. The smell (seafood) was so strong and pungent and smelt so off none of us would have touched it with a barge pole. E 3 Chateaubriands arrived. I had to cut my mother's up due to her being unable to following a stroke. I had a serrated knife but did I have to saw!! A fillet should be so render one's knife glides through it. The others also found their fillets tough. My rump arrived. I could nit cut through it! Had to ask for a proper steak knife (why not given to all diners??). Still battled. Called waiter, asked to cook a little longer in hope it would improve. Did not. Complained. Another rump brought. Just as tough. One of the managers to whom I complained agreed, saying there was a large piece of sinew running through it. Then why send it out ? Or the fillets for that matter? Changed to a fillet but this was mediocre and the evening ruined by events. Manager, Elaine, did not come near our table!! And, I almost forgot, we were seated not at table promised by Elaine the night before to cater for my mother's wheelchair! Advice: Fire manager - no people skills. Should not get in control of any restaurant. Send chef on a course to see what us good quality read meat. All working there heed to go and se how their Tokai branch operates. And do not use Busy Corner as a meat supplier. Clearly provide poor quality and in sufficiently matured steaks. A really really bad experience. The restaurant is in quite an up market area. Was full. Does not say much for the patrons' tastes!! If I had the power to, I would close the place until a brand new staff sufficiently trained and experienced could take over.
Peter Francis - Cape Town. pwfrancis@yahoo.co.uk

• Visited January 2014
Cape Town Central, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad service on a good day”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We have been to this restaurant a couple of times, and the service has normally been pretty average.

However, our last experience was shocking. We had a reservation (confirmed on the day) for 4 people for 20:00

When we arrived there were a fair number of people waiting for attention - there was no person manning the door seating people. After waiting for a while we tried to get the attention of several waiters who just said that they didn't "work the door".

We waited 10 minutes before somebody came to see us, at which point they informed us that they did not have a table for us (even though our details were recorded on a piece of paper on their seating plan). This was escalated to the manager, who asked us to wait at the bar for 5 minutes for a table to become available. There was no seating available at the bar, so we stood outside waiting. After another 5-10 minutes we decided to call it off and turned around to find another restaurant. After a couple of steps a waiter called us back saying they had a table for us, only to find out it had been given to a party of 2 people.

We decided we had enough of this by 20:40 and as we were leaving another customer was having a argument with a waiter for seating people in the incorrect order...

The restaurant is in desperate need of a new manager / hostess as they are damaging the Cattle Baron brand. Won't be back again.

1 Thank RRS402