“Excellent food and friendly but very slow service.”

Jonkershuis Restaurant at Groot Constantia
Ranked #6 of 43 Restaurants in Constantia
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Jonkershuis Constantia is nestled in the historic core of the Groot Constantia Wine Estate next to the historic Manor House and surrounded by ancient oak trees. Your first impression is dominated by sweeping views across the oldest wine producing vineyards in South Africa, down the valley to the enveloping coastline of False Bay. This family owned and managed bistro boasts a diversity of locations from private dining grandeur, to intimate interior fire side dining, to typical Italian village gatherings in their vine covered courtyard to family style lunches on their front lawns, were children can safely play reminiscent of a bygone era.. Partner Chris Coetzee, a father of two energetic young sons says, "Our close proximity and strong association with Iziko Museums is very important to me, it is a privilege for my children to be raised surrounded by so much of their heritage." The rich cultural history of Jonkershuis lends a magical and old world charm to any occasion held at the beautiful Jonkershuis. Tammy Botbyl (partner), "The strong legacy of history and tradition has inspired many couples to share their vows here and celebrate their union in style. It is a privilege for us to be part of the beginning of so many new legacies."
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We were a group of seven people and some had starters and some not.
I asked to bring the food out as fast as possible and bring mains when they are ready for those that did not have starters.
This was all confused and the one lady that just ordered a soup got her soup first and the boy that ordered a soup and a burger got everything together when the mains were served.
By this time he was so hungry and irradiated he spoiled it for the rest of us.
My food was great!
I forgot to mention that I can't eat starch, so I sent the rotti and rice back. The manager was quickly there checking out what was wrong. I told her not to worry. I should have ordered it without.
She offered me something to replace and within a minute or two I had a lovely bowl of green veggies in front of me. That was not expected, but much appreciated!!!

There are newer reviews for Jonkershuis Restaurant at Groot Constantia

Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stopped in for a quick lunch with the idea that we would rush off somewhere else for the afternoon...this didn't happen! We settled in very quickly and ended up leaving in the early evening. The ambience and food were great (I love that they have both an A la Carte menu and a generous specials board), with a completely relaxing atmosphere. We had kids with us, who we barely saw, as they joined a barrage of other children running around the estate and had an absolute ball. Sadly though, I have had to give it an average rating, despite all the positive feedback, as our service was not great at all. Waitress inattentive and just lacking general enthusiasm. It took forever to get simple things, like ice or a cup of tea etc., and I think the restaurant would be well served to offer their staff some simple in-house training on table serving etiquette.

1  Thank Donny P
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

A quick bite turned into a whole day affair. The food was superb. Wines divine. The setting is out of this world. The perfect weather added to just such a great day out. Very relaxing and enjoyable. Very kid friendly and they loved it too. The only draw back was the service. Waitrons unattentive and not as professional as one would expect at such a fine venue. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fantastic food, service and ambience. Tons of flavor, great deserts. The waiter was so nice and helpful. I ordered a curry vegetarian dish which was amazing.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I went to Jonkershuis with my family to have breakfast. The waitress was very enthusiastic and kind. The food was delicious, I had the french toast with bacon and syrup which I definitely recommend. The coffee was fine but slightly to cold. We sat outside at the terrace in the sun which was perfect. I am planning to come back soon!