All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantliz mcgrathrelais chateauxupgraded to a suitecape townwellness spafine diningold treestasting menuslopes of table mountainhigh teathis wonderful hotelaward winninglow carbstunning gardensattention to detailluxury hotel
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have just spent a week at the Cellars- Hohenort and found it to be an excellent experience. The staff were cherry, friendly and courteous, the setting is absolutely wonderful and the boutique style accommodation is warm and welcoming, and not at all tacky as many hotels can be. The food was absolutely sumptuous whichever restaurant ate in and at whatever time of day. I would highly recommend the Cellars-Honehort.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Thank you for posting this wonderful review. We are delighted that you chose The Cellars-Hohenort for your recent stay in Constantia and that you enjoyed all that our property has to offer.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Cape Town.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Just a note to say that it has taken me 4 contacts (web site contact us form, 3 phone calls to reservations) with the hotel in five days to 1) book a room for this week-end and 2) get a retaurant booked for my husband's Birthday. Either no response at all (web site contact) or they tell me they will call me back....and then South-African style...you never get a call back.

Hope the service once you get a booking is better than the pre-sales. It is just exhausting. And I still don't know if I have a booking this evening. So i guess i must go elsewhere. Pity.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 790Emi790
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I have addressed your issue with my team to ensure that this never happens again.

I am, however, delighted that we were able to assist with your reservation on Saturday in The Greenhouse and I hope you and your husband had a wonderful experience.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

I am the kind of person who prefers an intimate boutique hotel to a big glitzy one. Cellars- Hohenort, which is tucked away in the Constantia Valley, was just my ticket. This mellow Relais & Chateaux property oozes with charm and subtle elegance.

Except for the sound of birds, it is quiet on the inlaid brick paths that twist and turn around the property. They meander passed a rose garden, a cook’s garden, stately old trees and lush greenery.

All of the rooms, each different, have a lovely view of the landscaping, the mountains and the landscaping. My spacious accommodation had a huge bathroom. After my shower, it felt so good to step out onto a heated floor and wrap myself in a large heated towel.

The inn has two restaurants - the Greenhouse, which is considered the best in South Africa, and the Conservatory. Both overlook the gardens. Unfortunately, the Greenhouse was closed on the night we were there. But, The Conservatory was wonderful. Their Caesar salad, with its subtle dressing, lots of bacon and crunchy croutons was probably the best Caesar I have ever tasted. My slow-roasted duck was succulent and delicious. And, my chocoholic husband had his cravings satisfied with the decadent three chocolate dessert.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review. I am delighted you so enjoyed your stay with us, especially the peaceful setting of our property and your experience in The Conservatory Restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

Staff were sweet. Beautiful grounds. Spa excellent. Room dull, small. Wifi not working. DVD player not working. Room service menu small and food terrible. Felt like the only person in the hotel which was a bad thing. No attention to detail. Charged for water with breakfast. No breakfast buffet. Checked out early. Furnishings tasteless and dull. Not good for solo travelling. Certainly not 5 star quality. They did deduct the one room service item I ordered in an attempt to placate me which was appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank JanaM777
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us but we value your comments and they are all being addressed. It is unfortunate that you were with us at such a quiet time of year and experienced a fierce Cape storm but I am pleased to hear that you did enjoy our spa and beautiful gardens.

Reviewed 16 August 2013

On Women's Day we made a last minute booking for afternoon tea. Upon arrival we were met by the Maitre De and even though I mentioned us having a booking she didn't really check the details and took us through. A gorgeous setting and just what we needed. Our order of beverages was taken and we indicated we wanted to have a stand of the tea offerings. This was acknowledged and after finishing our beverages there was still no sign of the treats or communication around it. I kind of figured what had happened. The unexpected walk-ins consumed the staff and communication took a dive. I went to the front area and informed the lady there who was the one I initially saw at the front desk who gave us a hearty welcome into the building. She listened well and took charge! I loved her sense of immediately wanting to rectify this and got straight onto following through,apologising and then communicating feedback and delivering the treats. A great recovery. Both the sweet and savoury bits were delicious and then we ended off the gorgeous afternoon with a stroll through the beautiful gardens.
Definately worth a visit!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Sue4680
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Thank you for your valued feedback. Despite the initial delay, it is very good to hear that you enjoyed your afternoon and high tea with us. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.