“A Grand Experience”

The Cellars-Hohenort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend a night at the Cellars-Hohenort while visiting family in Cape Town. The property is truly magnificent, with splendid gardens and a magical view of table mountain. All the staff were extremely friendly and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable and enjoyable. The hotel is steeped In history and I found the whole experience reminiscent of a by-gone era of classic charm and character. The room was spacious and well equipped with every modern amenity. I appreciated the hand written welcome note from the General Manager as well as the complimentary bottle of wine. The conservancy restaurant was the highlight of my stay with an excellent menu of the highest standard. The food was fresh and well prepared (the herbs are picked from their own herb garden). I enjoy good wine and was impressed buy their extensive wine list of local wines from the region. Service was very good and the attention to detail noteworthy. The staff are clearly well trained and I was made to feel quite at home in the beautiful surroundings. The property is a mere 3 minute drive from the world famous Kirstenbosch Gardens and is ideally situated at the start of the Constantia Valley Wine Route. I really enjoyed my time at this property and look forward to returning and trying their award winning Greenhouse restaurant and Spa facilities.

Room Tip: Make sure you allow yourself enough time to explore the beautiful hotel gardens and vineyards
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed all aspects of your experience at The Cellars-Hohenort, especially your meal in The Conservatory and the wonderful history of our property. We look forward to your return visit to the beautiful Constantia Valley.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one and a half days in one of the luxury doubles with verandah. The room was spacious and had a magnificent verandah, we enjoyed a lot. Though the bathroom definitely needs to be modernized, having facilities that are more than outdated for a hotel on this scale. We had a lunch twice, which was delicious, set on a terrace overlooking the garden. A huge down side of the hotel is its service. There is just not enough personnel and those who are there, are slow and everything but attentive. That just might be the reason to think twice before booking with them. Have a tea at on the restaurant terrace instead!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your valued comments, which have been addressed with the team. I am pleased to note, however, that you enjoyed your lunch in our Conservatory Restaurant, as well as your spacious room.
Warm regards
Jo

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We were looking forward to this Relais Chateau hotel but it definitely didn't meet our expectations. The hotel is situated in beautiful gardens and the exterior is very pretty but the interior is in need of renovations. Our room, while once luxurious, was run down. We did express our disappointment to the general manager and he was very appreciative of our feedback. I would consider returning after a renovation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014

First to mention: the location is superb, with wonderful gardens, nice views, estate-feeling.
However: lack of customer attention makes it all go bad. You are not treated as a respected and welcomed customer, but as an annoyance. At least: if you are younger than 50 years I think.
Taking into account that the rooms are very expensive, quality does not meet the expectation.

Further: no fitness at the premiss, you can go to a nearby gym.
The more expensive suites are on ground floor, with windows open and people walking by.
At 08:00 AM there is people feeding ducks, making them totally noisy, and no-one cares to say something about it.

My specific experience:
-non supportive while booking (direct request gave less options than via website)
-confirmation from another hotel from the chain, and no excuse when mentioning that
-no questions asked about how can we help you with transport, diner, reservations for our restaurant
-very strict "at 11:00 you have to leave your room" policy
-3 people standing looking at you while carrying your own suitcase, no one thinks to help

2  Thank hedoniaHolland

Thank you for once again highlighting your constructive feedback. I would like to reiterate my commitment, as mentioned in my previous correspondence, in addressing the various points you have raised. I would also like to reassure you that our guest experience is our number one priority and we do take your feedback very seriously.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

The Cellars is undoubtably one of South Africa's finest hotels in a beautiful setting, immaculate gardens, great food but the service wasn't so great. We have stayed here a number of times and have dined here many times. Yesterday we invited my parents for lunch and the service wasn't great. We asked for salt and pepper and it didn't arrive so eventually we took it off the next table. I ordered two beers during our meal which arrived sometime after along with the bill and we hadn't even been asked if we wanted coffee - which we did

Dinner was unfortunately no better. We went to the bar and sat down, no waiter bothered to ask us if we wanted anything. Eventually I confirmed our booking and asked for a wine list and someone to take a drinks order - I think they must have been pressing the grapes as it took forever to get two drinks served. We also appeared to be the only people who didn't get 'nibbles' served as well. We arrived in the bar at 7.45 and sat down at 8.45, it would have been longer if I hadn't pushed. That said the food was great and the general staff are excellent. After dinner we ordered coffee and desert wine which again took forever to arrive. Coffee was without petit fours which again everyone else seem to have so I asked the waiter who said he would get some straight away, I'm still waiting! It's a shame as little things like this ruin what could be 5*, hopefully we will be back next year

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing experience regarding lunch and dinner service on your recent visit. Thank you for your detailed feedback, as it assists us to prevent these problems in the future. I look forward to your return visit next year.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

What a wonderful way to end our holiday with two nights in this most comfortable of hotels. We had a room in the main building with views over the stunning gardens and vineyard to False Bay and beyond. All the public rooms are magnificent and beautifully furnished and with fabulous flower arrangements.

Service was impeccable in all departments and the staff so friendly. Dinner in the Conservatory was superb and the spread at breakfast sumptuous.

We look forward to returning as soon as we can!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
JoMassie, General Manager at The Cellars-Hohenort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our beautiful gardens and your dinner in The Conservatory. I look forward to personally welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was a return visit to the hotel. As always the staff were courteous and helpful. We asked for a different room to that first allocated and were delighted when we were moved across to Hohenort and a beautiful room on the first floor with a balcony overlooking the garden and pool. We dined on the balcony under a full moon; a delicious meal immaculately served. To cap an excellent stay we ran into friends from the UK, also staying, with whom we had not been in contact for many years.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

It is wonderful to hear that you once again enjoyed your stay with us at The Cellars-Hohenort, and that you were able to reconnect with old friends. We look forward to your return visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
Steenberg Hotel
City Bowl
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
#11 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to The Cellars-Hohenort? Share your experiences!