“Unforgettable stay”
Review of Steenberg Hotel

Steenberg Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Nice and clean rooms and top facilities. Everywhere we met outstanding service, and the staff
members were really polite and helpsom. Excellent food and service at restaurant Catherina (breakfast and dinner) and at the bistro (lunch). We also appreciated the superbe wines at the
winetasting.
We had also the pleasure playing golf at the wonderful golf course on the estate. We liked it!
The property is located in a really marvellous scenery.
We had a memorable stay, and definately will return!

Room Tip: Room # 4 was perfect!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 December 2013

5 star accomodation, 5 star dining , top notch service on an elegant wine farm within the greater Cape Town area. The estate wines are superb... to be enjoyed in their highly acclaimed restaurant or at their modern bistro. Located close to the major tourist sites, yet offering quiet peaceful surroundings which reflects the essence of Western Cape culture. A worthwhile memorable experience for local and overseas visitors. A pleasureable experience which I hope to enjoy again and again....
(Written by Mary-Ann N)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

On the 1st February 2012 I celebrated my Birthday at Catherina's, Steenberg Hotel with a few friends. The table was beautifully laid and the service and food was excellent. Unfortunately for a significant Birthday dinner which we celebrated on the 2nd February 2013 with 27 friends, this was not the case. I had specifically asked Sally Rose whether the tables would be beautifully decorated. She assured me that they would be. Fortunately I arrived an hour before my guests to be greeted with the most UNIMAGINATIVE table decorations I have ever seen, anywhere. The roses were all dead and had I known in good time beforehand I would have employed an outside company to "manage" the décor of the room and an expert florist to attend to the flowers. Yes, I did throw a hissy fit and the flowers were replaced and a small attempt was made at "decorating". However the final effect was nowhere near what I had anticipated. My husband paid a lot of money for this function, no expense was spared and I will not be using Catherina's for any function in the near future. The sparkling wines and the rest of my wine selection for the party went down well, however it was my selection, not Sally-Rose's. The good news was the food. It was out of this world. My canapé selection went down a treat and disappeared quickly, despite my concerns that I'd over-ordered. The starter for the sit-down meal - prawn, scallop and calamari risotto was the finest any of my guests and I had eaten anywhere in the world. My guests assured me that the other starter, the beef carpaccio was also excellent. Some guests are still raving about Catherina's chef's prowess - the Chalmar beef fillet with gnocchi gorgonzola, fine beans, roast onion, park lardoons and beef jus was the most popular choice for the mains. There was a lull in the conversation as everyone enjoyed it. Apparently the herb crusted kingklip with prawn, calamari and cubed potato ragout, grilled spring onion, olive, tomato and caper salsa and to top that - a champagne and mussel veloute - was outstanding. Now that I've got everyone hungry I can't disappoint and not tell you what the dessert choices were - amarula crème brulee with fresh berries and a chocolate sauce - was divine apparently, as was my choice of dessert - the poached per marscapone mousse with cashew nut biscotti, cinnamon parfait and a tonka bean sauce. Chef was on the ball - everyone raved about the food. Just a huge, missed opportunity to shine at décor and a pity about the dead flowers. Wild horses wouldn't drag me back. However I would try Bistro 1682, providing Sally-Rose doesn't oversee any décor and flower arrangements.

Room Tip: On the one occasion we did stay at the Steenberg we had a suite overlooking the herb garden. It wa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had the most lovely time at this hotel. Everything were just top class!!! Extraordinary great service and great rooms.
A superb touch in the Restaurant with the nicest waitress we enjoyed a delicious dinner!!
We definately will return. Thank`s a lot !!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2013

After a magnificent tour of 7 upscale safari camps in Botswana and Zimbabwe, my husband and I stayed at the Steenberg Hotel for 6 nights. We were welcomed back to the modern world with magnificent accommodations, attentive and friendly staff, good food/drink, and spectacular scenery. The Steenberg's location gave us easy access to Cape Town, Robben Island, Cape Point, Wine country, and of course, Table Mountain. It was always relaxing to return to the Steenberg after a day of touring. We also enjoyed a round of golf at their beautiful and well-groomed course. We also treated ourselves to a manicure at their relaxing spa. Look forward to visiting again.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed here for four nights while visiting Cape Town. The staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you and the room, a Premier Room, was huge with a luxurious bathroom, open plan. We had a terrace outside with seating area for meals if required. The two restaurants served fabulous food, one modern Italian Bistro the others, The Caterina, a more formal dining room. The hotel runs a shuttle bus to Cape Town and back which was very helpful. My husband very much enjoyed his game of golf on the course but could only get a 7a.m. tee time! The course is owned by the residents who live round the course. I would highly recommend this hotel for a spoiling and peaceful stay when visiting Cape Town. One of my favourite hotels ever!

Room Tip: Rooms outside the main building with their own private terrace
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights here after 10 days touring S. Africa on safari. We were treated royally from my first communications online with Mr. Eugene Smith to our check out. We are golfers so that was our first consideration. The golf course is beautiful and challenging but not unduly so. We were initially booked in a superior room in the main lodge which was pleasant. After touring the grounds we asked if a room with a view was available. We upgraded into room 26 which is a LOVELY Premier Suite with a view of the golf course and vineyards! Our first dinner at Catharina's was delightful with Terri as our charming server. She thoughtfully decorated our table with crystals and rose petals for our 25th anniversary. We strolled back to our suite to find the bed and bath decorated with rose petals and lavender! Their attention to detail was superb! We enjoyed massages in the spa and a private wine tour with Kayla, a passionate wine enthusiast. Tom thoughtfully took us to a nearby mall for my husband's "pizza" fix one night. We felt right at home . . . but it was so much better! Thank you Steenberg for making this a truly memorable celebration!

Room Tip: We loved the premier suite #26. Rooms 27 and 28 in the same building are slightly smaller but have...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
The Cellars-Hohenort
The Last Word Constantia
#3 of 5 in Constantia
South Beach Camps Bay
#2 of 12 in Camps Bay

Been to Steenberg Hotel? Share your experiences!