“My favourite hotel”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Hanoi, Vietnam
“My favourite hotel”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Steenberg provides a genuine five star experience. Wish I could afford it. We went in the low season in 2011 and they upgraded us to a nice room overlooking the golf course (which is a Championship course). Take the cheapest room if you cannot afford anything else - and enjoy the absolute high-end service level provided at a level that you would normally never be able to afford. Great food. Fantastic breakfast setting. Winery and golf course inside the estate. Wish I would never have to leave. Did I mention the spa?

Sincerely hope I can return one day. Last time we went to Cape Town, Steenberg only had rooms above our pain levels. Life can be beautiful.

Best hotel experience of my years travelling in 60+ countries

Room Tip: the simplest room is perhaps not five star great. But it buys you access to a brilliant service, loc...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We got to the hotel early in the morning and our room was ready!!!How nice was that after a 12 hour flight from London?
Room:
Chenin Blanc no 11. It was very nice but the size will be a bit small if you have a lot of luggage. We had our semi private patio with sunbeds and a table with two chairs. The room was just around the corner from the reception but that didn't disturb us.
Food:
5* all the way from breakfast and dinner at Catharinas to lunch at Bistro 1682.
Golf:
The thing here is to book the golf at the same time you book the room. They have a lot of groups playing here and the "good" teetimes goes away very fast. The course is excellent and not to difficult.
Grounds:
After playing golf we went to the poolarea for some good food and drinks. Most of the time we were the only couple there. The pool wasn't heated and that was very refreshing. The sceanary is beautiful and the hotel is very quiet and relaxing.
Book this hotel VERY well in advance because most of their clientel will arrive year after year.
Can´t wait to go back again in 2015.

Room Tip: Room no 10 and 11 are Luxury rooms with a semi private patio. Not the most quiet rooms because they...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carpediemgolfer
Switzerland
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed at Steenberg room Heritage 17 for 5 nights and while we thought the grounds were absolutely gorgeous and the restaurants (Catharina's and the Bistro-separate reviews) were fantastic with great service and superb food, there was much to be desired for at this 5 star establishment.

First, our room was quite small and while I can appreciate rustic elegance, the stained carpet and the noisey air conditioning was anything but 5 star. Furthermore, the room location in the main building makes it very noisey when people check in or come back late at night. I am a light sleeper and was often woken up by staff or guests talking downstairs after 11pm. Also, the room was not vacuumed everyday. We happened to get some grass from the golf course into the room and it stayed there for a full 2 days. Also, we came back from dinner one night with our room door wide open with no staff inside. I immediately asked downstairs why this was the case to which I never received an answer. This should not happen.

Staff overall is extremely pleasant and friendly, however, at the pool bar the staff was talking and playing around loudly one afternoon and never came (1h) to ask if we wanted to order something. Instead my husband had to walk to the bar to place an order. Also, I want to relax at the pool and don't want to hear staff playing around with each other laughing and talking very loudly.

Lastly, booking golf 6 months in advance was difficult with very few available tee times. Secondly, our bookings were changed on all occasions without letting us know. We had booked an early morning tee time which was then moved back for whatever reason but we were only told when we checked in. This isn't acceptable. Changing tee times is fine but not letting people know until after they have arrived on the course is not ok!

Perhaps the suites are amazing but for a 5 star establishment, even the standard rooms should be a notch above and for the price, we don't think our expectations are met.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank windvalley
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Nice and clean rooms and top facilities. Everywhere we met outstanding service, and the staff
members were really polite and helpsom. Excellent food and service at restaurant Catherina (breakfast and dinner) and at the bistro (lunch). We also appreciated the superbe wines at the
winetasting.
We had also the pleasure playing golf at the wonderful golf course on the estate. We liked it!
The property is located in a really marvellous scenery.
We had a memorable stay, and definately will return!

Room Tip: Room # 4 was perfect!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Durban
Reviewed 15 December 2013

5 star accomodation, 5 star dining , top notch service on an elegant wine farm within the greater Cape Town area. The estate wines are superb... to be enjoyed in their highly acclaimed restaurant or at their modern bistro. Located close to the major tourist sites, yet offering quiet peaceful surroundings which reflects the essence of Western Cape culture. A worthwhile memorable experience for local and overseas visitors. A pleasureable experience which I hope to enjoy again and again....
(Written by Mary-Ann N)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 December 2013

On the 1st February 2012 I celebrated my Birthday at Catherina's, Steenberg Hotel with a few friends. The table was beautifully laid and the service and food was excellent. Unfortunately for a significant Birthday dinner which we celebrated on the 2nd February 2013 with 27 friends, this was not the case. I had specifically asked Sally Rose whether the tables would be beautifully decorated. She assured me that they would be. Fortunately I arrived an hour before my guests to be greeted with the most UNIMAGINATIVE table decorations I have ever seen, anywhere. The roses were all dead and had I known in good time beforehand I would have employed an outside company to "manage" the décor of the room and an expert florist to attend to the flowers. Yes, I did throw a hissy fit and the flowers were replaced and a small attempt was made at "decorating". However the final effect was nowhere near what I had anticipated. My husband paid a lot of money for this function, no expense was spared and I will not be using Catherina's for any function in the near future. The sparkling wines and the rest of my wine selection for the party went down well, however it was my selection, not Sally-Rose's. The good news was the food. It was out of this world. My canapé selection went down a treat and disappeared quickly, despite my concerns that I'd over-ordered. The starter for the sit-down meal - prawn, scallop and calamari risotto was the finest any of my guests and I had eaten anywhere in the world. My guests assured me that the other starter, the beef carpaccio was also excellent. Some guests are still raving about Catherina's chef's prowess - the Chalmar beef fillet with gnocchi gorgonzola, fine beans, roast onion, park lardoons and beef jus was the most popular choice for the mains. There was a lull in the conversation as everyone enjoyed it. Apparently the herb crusted kingklip with prawn, calamari and cubed potato ragout, grilled spring onion, olive, tomato and caper salsa and to top that - a champagne and mussel veloute - was outstanding. Now that I've got everyone hungry I can't disappoint and not tell you what the dessert choices were - amarula crème brulee with fresh berries and a chocolate sauce - was divine apparently, as was my choice of dessert - the poached per marscapone mousse with cashew nut biscotti, cinnamon parfait and a tonka bean sauce. Chef was on the ball - everyone raved about the food. Just a huge, missed opportunity to shine at décor and a pity about the dead flowers. Wild horses wouldn't drag me back. However I would try Bistro 1682, providing Sally-Rose doesn't oversee any décor and flower arrangements.

Room Tip: On the one occasion we did stay at the Steenberg we had a suite overlooking the herb garden. It wa...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Sundsvall, Sweden
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We had the most lovely time at this hotel. Everything were just top class!!! Extraordinary great service and great rooms.
A superb touch in the Restaurant with the nicest waitress we enjoyed a delicious dinner!!
We definately will return. Thank`s a lot !!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
The Cellars-Hohenort
#10 of 109 in Cape Town Central
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,516 reviews
The Last Word Constantia
#3 of 5 in Constantia

Been to Steenberg Hotel? Share your experiences!