“Amazing!”
Review of Steenberg Hotel

Steenberg Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Reviewed 21 November 2008

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon in South Africa. By South African standards this is a very expensive hotel, but not by our (London) standards. It was well worth every penny. The staff were friendly and helpful but not overbearing. I loved the fact that as you walked through during the day everyone would say hello if they went past. We went out diving one day and when we returned everyone asked if we had a good time! Our room was beautiful - we had a whole building to ourselves near to the pool - well kept and clean. The turndown service was fantastic - it was lovely to come home to. Absolutely recommended to anyone paying a visit to Cape Town.

Reviewed 19 November 2008

From the moment we arrived, with the views of the mountain and the vineyards, we felt at home. The moment you step into the hotel, they treat you like Royalty. Check in is easy and quick...for good reason, because you need to get to your macnificent room asap. Our room had a open-plan bathroom and bedroom and how wonderful to sit in a bubblebath talking to my husband on the bed while taking in the amazing views of the mountains and the golfcourse.
Do not miss the amazing Steenberg wines. Their Sauvignon Blanc is the best in South Africa, the Merlot is unique to this area and wonderful with food and do ask for there special wine, Nebbiolo......my favourite!!!

The restaurant Catherina is in the Top 10 best restaurants in South Africa and they deserve it.

Definetely the best Hotel I have stayed in and we will be back everytime we are in Cape Town.

Reviewed 12 November 2008

Arriving at the gorgeous estate with the mountain backdrop and vineyards was a real treat. Then on arrival, the staff at Steenberg couldn't do enough for us. Welcome drinks, a quick orientation tour and then subtle attention throughout our stay. I can recommend the restaurant there despite having complimentary travel within a 5 km radius to other restaurants recommended by the hotel!
The bedroom was a beautiful 'oldy worldy' but emaculately decorated room with a wonderful high ceiling. Breakfast was laid out to oversee the vineyards and a delight.
We stayed there to play the golf course there, which was in excellent condition, although I would have preferred the houses to have been set back a little more from the course...being picky! But the course was good value with the significant savings if you stayed at the hotel, which we did. Golf wasn't such a bargain on it's own.
But I will remember Steenberg for the tranquil pleasures, the complimentary wine tasting and the lounging around the small but well layed out private feeling pool area.
Constantia is a good location from which to visit other Cape Town and peninsular areas too.

Reviewed 18 July 2008

Like the previous reviewer I thought the rooms were lovely and enjoyed the spacious bathrooms. The grounds are a little open if it is a windy day but pleasant enough for a walk. There seemed to be lots of staff about most of the day too.

I thought the breakfast pretty average but was put off by the grubby marks round the bottom of the dining room walls and the ladies room was certainly not 5 star. Food very meat based and nothing too special. We were told there is going to be a major renovation of it all this winter but it would not draw me back as the Cellars Hohenhort is far superior in every way.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Once I arrived at the hotel (following directions, it was confusing after dark) I was so graciously welcomed.
My suite was outstanding--huge room with heated floors, generous bathroom. I didn't understand why I had twin beds, made separately, yet put together like a king--made no sense since my husband was meeting me. The manager took care of it the next day when we met at breakfast. When I returned to my suite the bed was being converted--fabulous service!!

Breakfast was excellent-quite a nice spread of continental treats--meats, breads, cheese, cereals, etc--and bubbly!! Good touch, considering I had a sandwich from room service the night before and if I hadn't been so hungry would have sent it back.
I truly enjoyed the wine tasting with very knowledgeable staff. Good SA wines in a tasting room with great ambience.

My husband joined me the next night for our included dinner which clouded our entire stay, it was that disappointing. We were offered one menu choice of a 3 course dinner--lamb with massive amounts of rare fat and after I flagged down the staff it was replaced with--surprise!!--lamb cooked rare with a bit less fat. It was one of the slimiest meat entrees I had ever been served. The salad that preceded it was mostly large croutons with a bit of romaine, even less dressing and some grana cheese. Sad. Our dessert was a lime tart thing with a tough crust that should have stayed in the kitchen. After having spent some time chatting with General Manager, Gaby Gramm at breakfast, I was so looking forward to a fine meal. It fell so far below the mark that I would be hard-pressed to recommend the hotel IF dinner is included.
I was very fortunate to be shown the heritage suites which are truly some of the most beautiful rooms I have EVER seen in any small hotel in the world. Such elegance and design care!!

Please consider the room quality and general service as excellent, but avoid the restaurant for any meal but breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2008

The hotel and grounds were extremely beautiful. Our room was spacious and well maintained. Hotel reception were helpful and curteous. The pool area was a little small. Breakfast was very good. Overall a very good hotel and a pleasant stay.

However the restaurant lets the hotel down. The decor is dated, and there was no atmosphere, though this could have been due to the small number of guests (perhaps an indication). The food was cooked OK, but the menu was uninspiring and indeed dated like the decor. This needs a make over of facilities, food and attitude to bring it into the 21st century.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2008

My wife and I and our 3 sons (17, 16 and 10) spent 2 nights at the Steenberg Hotel. From the moment we arrived until we departed we had a wonderful experience. It was hard to leave.

We arrived after spending 10 days on safari in Madikwe and Kruger. We left Kruger at 7AM in the morning, drove 4 hours to J'burg airport and flew to Cape Town. By the time we arrived we were disheveled and tired. But no sooner had we arrived than we were made to relax and unwind. A drink to relax. We gave the car keys to hotel staff who unpacked our car and parked it.

We had two of the most delightful rooms you can imagine. Large rooms, luxurious bedding, antique furniture. Steenberg is the sort of hotel that you're taking photos off before you make it to your room. The hotel is set in a vineyard, has a golf course with a modern club house and the hotels own buildings date back to the 1600s.

My three sons were in one room with plenty of space even when an additional bed was brought in. My sons were able to swim in the pool or roam the large grounds playing and were never made to feel uneasy about their, occasional, exuberant behavior.

We all ate dinner in the hotel's main dining room. This is a rather formal location but once again we were never made to feel uneasy. The service was professional and efficient. Our meals was delightfully memorable. My wife and I drank the estate's wine which, when ordered by the glass, comes in very generous quantities.

Breakfast was wonderful. Eggs benedict a clear favorite. The buffet selection excellent. Before my family joined me for breakfast I sat outside under one of the big oak trees. Staff brought me tea and I read the papers until the others joined me and we moved to the breakfast room.

I had lunch by the pool with my boys while my wife was last seen in the spa. I also had a massage in the spa which was excellent.

The estate has wonderful walking tracks around the vineyard. We walked to the club house and I would have loved to have played a round of golf but alas, this wasn't a golf trip.

For the duration of our stay we never locked either of our rooms. It's one of those hotels where you feel like you're at home.

There is a library next to reception which has a selection of books that can be borrowed. There is also a computer connected to the internet. Alas, this is South Africa and connection speeds bring back nightmarish memories of getting connected at dial-up speeds.

Leaving was as easy as arriving. Once again we gave up our car keys to find our bags packed and our chariot awaiting after I settled the bill.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
The Cellars-Hohenort
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
#11 of 112 in Cape Town Central
The Alphen Boutique Hotel
#5 of 5 in Constantia

Been to Steenberg Hotel? Share your experiences!