“Lovely vibe”
Review of The Rose Bar

The Rose Bar
Ranked #28 of 47 Restaurants in Constantia
Description: Leafy Moonlit Resplendency With a DJ line-up to impress, alongside cocktails and naughty nibbles offered under the stars, overlooking 12 acres of wonderland lawns, the Rose Bar transports our socialites on a nightly journey of unbridled pleasure.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere. A great place to have a drink and unwind after a hectic week. Great cocktails

Reviewed 14 January 2014

Nice setting, just a bit tied , good range of wines by the glass,
Why the rose bar, couple of brunches of roses.
The bar just looked like it needed a refurbish

1  Thank Jayne M
Reviewed 1 January 2014

The Rose Bar at the Alphen Hotel more closely resembles Fawlty Towers.

It is truly wonderful that they have invested millions in upgrading the property – but unfortunately, it is all for nought … especially when the operation is left to untrained staff and incompetent management …

According to the website:

“As far as my restaurants are concerned, I didn’t open a single one as a restaurant operator. I conceptualised all my ideas from a customer’s point of view. Asking ‘what would I want as a customer?’”

Unfortunately the Rose Bar is an epic failure … and when matched against their lofty aim “to provide the best accommodation and food-and-beverage outlets available in the local market” … an embarrassment to the company.

We arrived a expecting an enjoyable afternoon out – unfortunately this was not to be.

Our activities kicked off with the waiter apologising that he was on his own … never a good start to any meal. And made all the more strange considering we counted 4 other waiters along with two ever busy-looking managers – complete with ties. Why ‘Mandla’ believed himself to be on his own remains a mystery?

Whilst we waited for our simple order of calamari, side salad, chicken mayo sandwich, fries and chicken livers to arrive – we were treated to another table storming off in disgust – having also apparently grown tired of having to wait an inordinately long time for their food to arrive. This table were having none of your manager’s feeble excuses and stormed off with young kids in tow. Worrying indeed.

Our order took a lengthy 45 minutes to arrive – and now salivating at the prospect of enjoying our meal – discovered that cutlery is an optional accessory at The Rose Bar. So close, yet so far – we dutifully had to flag down your elusive staff to arrange knives and forks … a simple request one may think – but nothing is simple at this establishment. It doesn’t appear that cutlery is kept on site – so someone is sent into the inner depths of the hotel to extract some. Unfortunately the non-existent training that your staff undergo does not cover the supply of cutlery as part of one’s meal.

With utensils eventually on hand ( by this stage the one meal is already cold ) – we were still awaiting the arrival of the calamari and fries … a very complicated order for anyone to possibly get right. But not to worry – your manager is within sight … so we get his attention and ask him to check on the missing meal. To which your dear manager replied, “The chef’s not in today. I told the waiter there is no calamari – didn’t he tell you?”

That’s right. A “5 star hotel”. Millions invested.
But your chef didn’t arrive for work and there is no calamari.

A useful fact for someone to impart at the start of the meal – not after waiting 45 minutes!

So the one meal consisted of just a side salad because of your staff’s limited memory retention skills – and the fries never ever materialised. Your manager unable to deal with the situation ( its far easier to simply blame the waiter continually – “but I told the waiter there was no calamari” ) tells us he will come back in 5 minutes. Why, I am still unsure? Perhaps a time-out was needed ?

He then sends the waiter in to apologise ( and that serves what purpose exactly at this point in the non-existent meal ? ) – and then proudly comes back asking “Did he come over?”

Basil Fawlty would have been proud.

Unfortunately this is by no means an isolated incident. My two prior visits have also been marred by non-existent service.

The Rose Bar is an embarrassment to the group.

Perhaps it is time for a serious service intervention ? I know the high standards they have achieved at their other restaurants ( Pepenero is a firm favourite of ours ) - but they can do so much better here.

A disappointment all-round.

2  Thank Craig M
Reviewed 10 March 2013

This review is for the rose bar. Great comfy sofas under giant oak trees with a view across the garden to the hotel swimming pool. We love to come here for an early evening drink and settle down to ctach the last of the sunshine with a nice bottle of chilled rose wine. The rose bar serves nice little appetisers such as satay and fishcakes and recently have employed a sushi chef. The sushi is all freshly prepared to order and absolutely yummy. The staff are friendly and were attentive. I also love the decor in the washrooms. One of my treasured places in CapeTown. Beware of the falling acorns!

1  Thank steven b
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Note: This is a review of the hotel's Rose Bar only - I have not stayed at the hotel itself.

Location is great and the garden setting is serene and relaxing.

Wine list is quite well put-together, but among the lowest value-for-money I have seen around Cape Town.

Staff members are usually alright, but I’ve just learned that they get snotty if you question whether they’ve brought you the right glass of wine. Alvin, a guy that looked like the bar manager, didn’t seem to know the difference between a chardonnay and a chardonnay/pinot noir blend, and to cut a long story short, turned a polite question into a passive-aggressive debacle.

Also, don’t bother pointing out a rat taking an early evening bath in the hotel’s pool – you’ll likely be met with a pointed lack of interest. Luckily for said rat (and I suppose the early-morning swimming enthusiasts among the hotel’s guests), it did eventually appear to get out on its own.

1  Thank James I