“Wonderful Stay - Service being the most outstanding feature!”

The Last Word Constantia
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Constantia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was our first stop on a three week trip to South Africa in May. First, let me say this was a fantastic beginning to our trip. My husband and I had booked three nights. We wish at the end of our stay, that we had added on a couple more nights. This is a lovely small boutique hotel located near the best wineries in Cape Town, South Africa. From the moment we checked in, until we reluctantly left, the hotel delivered service on a five star level. The rooms nicely appointed with plush robes, plenty of room in the bedroom – upscale bed linens, bathroom with an oversized soaking tub, and living area, private plunge pool (though too cold to use during our stay – but it was very pretty), plush towels, nice amenities. The lobby area is very inviting with comfortable seating that looks out to a small pool and lovely “English” type garden area. They offer evening local wines to taste and afternoon tea in the lobby. The morning breakfast (included) is situated in a small glassed-in patio right off the lobby area. The selections for breakfast were plentiful and boasts above average selections. Not a sparse Continental Breakfast offered by most hotels, but you also have the choice of hot entrees that you can specially order (fabulous). However, what makes this hotel exemplary, is the service. I cannot express how fortunate the owners are to have such an amazing team of employees working for them. This really makes this place special over the other options in Cape Town. My husband and I are grateful to be able to stay at the highest end resorts all over the world, but nothing makes your stay more memorable than the service. The Manager, Tessa, was to say the least….incredible. After a 33 hour flight from California to get to the hotel, I was feeling a bit sick and very jet lagged. She went out of her way to check on me and make sure that I was comfortable, even offering to find a Dr. for me if needed. She arranged all our restaurants and city/wine tours as well and all her recommendations were personalized and special. She also arranged for our breakfast table to be decorated with roses scattered and had a card signed by the staff in the morning to celebrate our anniversary. Whatever request we had was granted with a smile and sincere friendliness. I was very concerned how the rest of our trip was going to be after being so spoiled with the attention we received at this hotel. If you love great service, small intimate and quiet atmosphere, close proximity to the wineries and colored with a luxury feel, this is the place you should book when visiting Cape Town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Always5Star

Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here as part of a South African "Garden Route" holiday, everywhere we stayed was first class but this place was superb, we stayed there during the off peak season in May still hot enough for us Brits though. The Last Word is beautifully appointed with luxurious rooms, we were treated like royalty by the staff and enjoyed huge comfortable beds, jacuzzi baths, mini bar, underfloor heating (gets chilly at night). Our room was spotless and beds turned down before we got back with flowers and sweets on the pillows! there is a pool and a very comfortable lounge, for us the most memorable time was when we had dinner prepared by their own staff who apologized for not being restaurant "standard" but believe me it was one of the best meals I have ever had.

So in short don't hesitate to holiday here!! and my thanks to all the staff at the Last Word Constantia!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RussM4102
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at this wonderful place. Going back somewhere is
sometimes quite daunting as it can disappoint. Not this place, the room, service, were just great. Our special thanks to Tess and her lovely ladies. She goes out of her way to help make your stay as comfortable as possible. Her lovely ladies (and gentlemen!!) are all great, especially our wonderful Beauty!!!. Thank you for helping make what was our best trip to South Africa to date an incredible experience. We will see you in 2016 (hopefully)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cuthberrys
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of our stay in South Africa. We have stayed in the other Last Word Resorts at the Long Beach and Franschhoek so knew what we were letting ourselves in for......
Constantia exceeded our expectations and more, the staff were so helpful, as I was on crutches due to an accident before I arrived in SA, and even arranged a wheelchair for me at the V and A. The whole feel of the place is calm, tranquil and relaxing, we loved sitting in the beautiful garden and taking a dip in the pool. The food was amazing, and we only realised there was cake in the afternoon on the day we were leaving.

We had a wonderful room, with a lovely lounge area, open plan bathroom, and a private patio area, and on our last night we had a lovely card, candles and some chocolates to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary.

All the staff were amazing, and had that attention to detail which makes them stand out from the others in the group. It's a great base to explore the Winelands on your doorstep as well as a good commute into Capetown. We can't wait to return to our little piece of heaven.

Room Tip: We had room 8, which was lovely and spacious and had its own private patio
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Emma W
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We have just returned from two nights in this hotel. Our room was stunning, huge with a proper lounge area with 2 sofas and an easy chair and with a giant TV. Absolutely everything you might want, drinks, tea (with fresh milk in the fridge), fresh fruit Huge comfortable bed and a lovely bathroom. Fresh flowers everywhere and bathrobes and slippers provided.
The whole hotel is pure luxury and the gardens are delightful. The staff are superb and nothing is too much trouble. Neville, the hotel driver, collected us from Cape Town and is available to take you to your dinner venue and collect you afterwards.
The food was excellent also. We had sandwiches for lunch when we arrived and we had dinner in the hotel that night which was delicious. Afternoon tea with cake is included at 4pm and pre dinner drinks at 7pm. My only regret is that we could only stay 2 nights!

Room Tip: I do not think their would be a bad room in this hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank heather s
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

The title says it all... Stunning stunning stunning and more stunning! Exquisite garden and beautiful room. Honeymoon started off here and really was beyond excellent! The staff are very welcoming and so pleasant! Just devine! Loved it!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L-So-Sav
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I don't want to say too much about this hidden gem for fear of not getting a room when we return and we will be for sure! In short, a wonderful, oasis of a place to stay, and it should be kept a quiet secret! My husband and two boys aged 9 and 6 went for a 2 week holiday to Capetown over the christmas period and stayed at the Last Word for 6 nights in total, splitting it at the beginning and the end of our holiday. We had read the reviews and in fairness expected quite a treat and we were not disappointed. The guest house set up was not an arrangement we were familiar with coming from the UK as we have either B & B or a hotel accommodation. Certainly nothing that compared with the incredible bedroom suites, wonderful friendly staff where nothing was too much trouble, an exceptional position in Constantia set amongst stunning gardens, it felt like we were the only people staying while all bedrooms were full! My children fell in love with the warmth and complete genuineness of the staff which resulted in a teary goodbye. For any readers with family who may overlook The Last Word because it may come across as 'a little too adult' dont be put off as whilst it is an incredibly relaxing environment our two boys revelled in the attention they received from ALL the staff from top to bottom. I cannot recommend this guesthouse high enough...it's sophisticated, smart, special, and I cannot wait to go back with my family! Felt like we have made some good friends and cant wait to get back...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Lou M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Constantia
3 mi away
Tintswalo Atlantic
Tintswalo Atlantic
#1 of 4 in Hout Bay
The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa

Been to The Last Word Constantia? Share your experiences!