“Fantastic pub & restaurant”
Review of Pastis

Pastis
Ranked #15 of 44 Restaurants in Constantia
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Really enjoyed this little bistro in the heart of Constantia. Had a lovely lunch - really enjoyed the Risotto with a bottle of Bordeaux Blend from the Constantia Valley.

1  Thank Alice L

Reviewed 11 October 2013

When we arrived, Pastis looked so quaint and inviting. We had drinks under the trees outside the lovely bar are before going through for lunch. What a nice little menu. I had the Fillet and a lovely Bordeaux Blend from Constantia - what a treat. I really enjoyed the crisp and fresh veggies too. Everything was prepared very well and the service was attentive and helpful.
All round a fantastic experience at a lovely little bistro.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This restaurant is good value on all things. I had a 300g steak at Rand 84.00 served with great chips freshly cooked and a veg. Steak was cooked to perfection. The Staff are friendly and very attentive. Drink prices are not over the top as most restaurants seem to think they should do in Cape Town. The ambiance of the whole establishment was great. A pub at the lower end of the complex with lovely little beer garden compliments the restaurant and due to this gives one a great sense of peace and wellbeing. Well done Pastis and keep up the good work.

4  Thank atomac
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Nice little bar. Warm and inviting. But I didn't know that places still allowed people to smoke indoors. Wasn't pleasant, due to the smoke, but the beer was good...

DJohnCapeTown, Owner at Pastis, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear Reggie

Thank you for your feedback. However, I am extremely confused about your complaint. While restaurants in South Africa are allowed a smoking room, our bar area (and all of our indoor seating area) has been a non-smoking zone since last year (2012). Could you inbox me a contact address so that I can follow up.

Many thanks

Derek
(info@pastisbrasserie.co.za)

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Visited this establishment on Sunday 11th August to celebrate my friends 30 year wedding anniversary. What a let down!
I ordered a Paella dish from the rather expensive menu but all I received was dry yellow rice with a few thin (4 to be exact) slivers of calamari, no cajun fish pieces ( as promised on the menu) and a few small prawns. Some of my friends who ordered the same meal all complained to the waiter but the complaints were just shrugged off. Other meals were uninspiring and not worth the money spent. After the table was cleared, I left to go to the men's restroom. When I returned, unbeknowing to me, the waiter took orders for dessert and drinks. I thought he would return and take my order. Did not once refer my way and I decided to leave it as such. We left the place greatly dissapointed and agreed we will never return. We were a party of 15.

DJohnCapeTown, Owner at Pastis, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear Sir

Once again, I am sorry for the experience your table had last week. The issues regarding the quality of the paella and poor communication of the waiter who served you have been discussed with Ms MacAdam by phone and in the response above on on Tripadvisor on 11 Aug.

In the management meeting which took place in follow up to Ms MacAdam’s complaint we discussed at length the inferior standard of the paella which, until very recently, has been one of our best dishes. Discussion also took place regarding what went wrong with service and the manager on duty at the time reported that he was not made aware of any problems with the food or the service at the time you were there. I hasten to add that further staff training has taken place with the new staff involved in serving you last week.

Ms MacAdam did say on the phone that she thought she had perhaps over-reacted, although we take every complaint very seriously and rely on vocal critics to provide us with much needed feedback when things go wrong. I would be most grateful if you would contact me on info@pastisbrasserie.co.za as there has already been extensive discussion about the paella and the lack of communication on the part of staff during service.

Kind regards