This being my first stay at the famed Hyatt Oubaai resort with my family, I could see what all the fuss was about. Excellent ambiance, wonderful spacious with modern interiors and great breakfast with a wide variety.
We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to the Regency floor with complimentary coffee and snacks in the early evening...pleasant surprise.
Unfortunately, the tennis courts were under repair but squash was available. Too cold to indulge in the tempting outdoor pool with great vistas. The Ernie Els design course is a great challenge with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean and is in great condition. The par 3 17th is breathtaking to say the least and a must Kodak moment. The pizzas on offer at the halfway house were legendary.
The only blemish during our stay, was the somewhat rigid and tense nature of certain staff. We had a very unpleasant experience in the gym where we "scolded" by one of the managers called Mark for having our kids there, when clearly the sign outside mentioned kids allowed with adult supervision! When I brought this to his attention I received a cold, somewhat arrogant and unapologetic response...shocking for a 5 star resort. He even had the audacity thereafter to accuse them of being bare feet when they both had their sneakers on!
I must say my usual stay at Fancourt thereafter was much more relaxed, child friendly and with the usual courteous and kind staff. I think Oubaai can take a few tips from them....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa is set in the picturesque hamlet of Herolds Bay, within 15 minutes from George Airport, Western Cape, South Africa. This 316-acre upscale Residential & Golf Development set apart in our specatacular Garden Route stretches out along the Western Cape from Mossel Bay to Port Elizabeth. Home to our Signature Ernie Els Golf Course as well as the Freesia Spa. The Oubaai Hotel has 100 Luxury Guest Rooms showcased alongside some of the most spectacular Herolds Bay Heritage Real Estate. This includes 322 upmarket Oubaai Residential Properties and 128 Oubaai Village Apartments. Golf Membership is optional. The Golf Club comprises of our 18 Hole Championship Ernie Else Signature Golf Course, the Golf Academy, a Driving Range plus 1 Chipping and 2 Putting Greens. Added Value includes Daily Breakfast in our Main Restaurant " Cucina," plus FREE Wifi access and FREE Parking. On our Property you can enjoy our Swimming Pool, Tennis Court, Squash Court and fully equipped Gym. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Resort And Spa
- Hyatt Regency Oubaai Golf Hotel George