“Excellent establishment, tense staff!”

Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in George
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Excellent establishment, tense staff!”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

This being my first stay at the famed Hyatt Oubaai resort with my family, I could see what all the fuss was about. Excellent ambiance, wonderful spacious with modern interiors and great breakfast with a wide variety.

We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to the Regency floor with complimentary coffee and snacks in the early evening...pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, the tennis courts were under repair but squash was available. Too cold to indulge in the tempting outdoor pool with great vistas. The Ernie Els design course is a great challenge with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean and is in great condition. The par 3 17th is breathtaking to say the least and a must Kodak moment. The pizzas on offer at the halfway house were legendary.

The only blemish during our stay, was the somewhat rigid and tense nature of certain staff. We had a very unpleasant experience in the gym where we "scolded" by one of the managers called Mark for having our kids there, when clearly the sign outside mentioned kids allowed with adult supervision! When I brought this to his attention I received a cold, somewhat arrogant and unapologetic response...shocking for a 5 star resort. He even had the audacity thereafter to accuse them of being bare feet when they both had their sneakers on!

I must say my usual stay at Fancourt thereafter was much more relaxed, child friendly and with the usual courteous and kind staff. I think Oubaai can take a few tips from them....

Room Tip: 3rd floor rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zaheergani
OubaaiHyatt, Director of Sales at Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear 786ZHR
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We appeciate your positive comments as well as your highlighted disappointments. We take all feedback very seriously, in our constant endeavour to improve standards and make our guests experience all the more pleasurable, and it is only through detailed feedback such as yours, that we are able to improve our service.
Please accept our sincere apologies for challenges experienced during your stay and rest assured that your comments have been noted.
Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Arrival had one attendant who was preoccupied with others guests. No greeter at the door and no front desk staff upon arrival. Front Desk did greet us well and with good intentions and proceeded to check us in without any issues. .

Upon arrival at the restaurant, there were only two seats at the counter available, when there were three of us. The hostess did ask a party of two to shift further down the counter to accommodate. I felt really bad for the couple, who were already enjoying their meal, who were asked to shift, when the restaurant was already informed that a party of three would be coming to be seated at the counter at a specified time.

Golf tee time that I set up in advance for 9AM, however the club house, confirmed it for 950AM Clubhouse expected four players when I confirmed for two.

Breakfast service was average. The food quality, quantity, and choices were excellent however, obtaining coffee was seen as a challenge. There seemed to be no direction upon our arrival in the breakfast hall on where to sit (i.e. does a hostess seat us or do we seat ourselves) It reminded me of our check in process the night before.

Overall, in my book these issues are minor however with the expectation that this is a five start property made my view of this property less than. This was one of three stops during the Garden route and I must admit the two other properties we stayed at provided a higher quality service than the Hyatt. I am not doubting any of your facilities as they are outstanding, however the overall service needs to be brought up to match the facilities.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
OubaaiHyatt, Director of Sales at Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear K S
Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and are pleased to receive your positive responses, as well as the highlighted areas, which you consider need to be addressed in order to enhance the hotel’s overall operation.
We appreciate your feedback very much and all your comments have been noted and addressed with the team.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Perfect rooms, lots of food and snacks available for free, and attention to detail, although the service wasn't always great. It has tons to offer and it perfectly situated, and even though we stayed for 6 nights, I would have liked to stay more.

Room Tip: Regency club rooms have all day snacks, and cocktails at night, perfect for pre-dinner snacks at the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank JettPath
Dear JettPath
Thank you for sharing your feeback on TripAdvisor! We are thrilled your enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will visit us again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The ambience is relaxing but I didnt get the treatments i asked for and they used this cheap polish that chipped the same day and stained my nails. Will never go again. I have been for a massage last year and that wasnt too bad. But they seem to have dropped in quality and value of service

• Stayed April 2014
Dear sip_313
Thank you for sharing your constructive comments, we do appreciate it. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointments you experienced. We take all comments very seriously and please rest assured that your feedback has been noted and addressed with the team.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My parents stay in Oubaai estate and whenever I come for a visit I book a spa treatment and we have lunch at the hotel or dinner at the Waterfront restaurant. The spa is incredible, the service is world class the the treatments are very luxurious and the pricing reasonable.The service at the hotel is somewhat lacking. Seems there is no sense of urgency in taking orders or helping a guest but the food is excellent. The Waterfront restaurant is amazing however you have to book in advance as there is minimal seating available, but the food and service is stunning at a price. Worth every minute. Keep it up!!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kim D
Dear Kim D
Thank you for sharing you comments on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time at our spa and Waterside Restaurant. Hope to welcome you back to the Resort again soon!
Kind regards
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel. We have booked a club room, which are very nice and modern. Also the housekeeping is doing a good job as the room was cleaned carefully and they provide a turndown service as well.
But the service of check-in is a mess. We had to wait for 30mins even there was a women which had nothing to do...?! There is only one restaurant open for dinner, but this place don't have enough space for all guests and so it can happen that there is no free table and you have to eat in the bar with choice from a snackmenu (which was very good quality of food).
But the worst thing for us, was that the entire staff is unpolite. You feel like you are not welcome in this hotel. The waitresses on breakfast were moreover lazy. Nobody clean your table, we had to put the empty plates on the floor. We felt really uncomfortable in this hotel and we can't recommend it to other people.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole J
OubaaiHyatt, Director of Sales at Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Nicole J
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We take all feedback very seriously, in our constant endeavour to improve standards and make our guests experience all the more pleasurable, and it is only through detailed feedback such as yours, that we are able to improve our service.
Please accept our sincere apologies for challenges experienced during your stay and rest assured that your comments have been addressed with the team.
Somerset West, South Africa
Reviewed 20 April 2014

From the moment we arrive at the security gate right through our stay, we were at all time made to feel welcome and at home. Check in was easy and without any hitch. We had a very nice room on the 3rd floor facing the ocean with great views.
The valets were helpful in parking the car for us and also taking our luggage to the room. Initially there were some issues with the free Wifi in our room but eventually this was resolved to our satisfaction, seems housekeeping and removed the cable to the router.
I thought the interior design and decor of the room was very pleasing with the view being great, especially at sunrise.
When I showered I found it odd that the tap was on the wall farthest wall away from the shower head on the ceiling, so you actually have to walk over to it to adjust the temperature. That was pretty weird. Plus I hope the hotel as some awesome liability insurance for when a guest slips on the smooth porcelain tiles in the bathroom. I really had to focus on balance as there is nothing on the floor to give any grip. An elderly person must struggle with this though. There was also no shelf of any kind close to the Victorian style bath so my wife had to place the soap etc on the floor with difficulty. However I think there was a shelf there once as there are 2 holes in the wall.
As the sunset and sunrise is so great we thought there it would be great to enjoy it from the large balcony but there was nothing to sit on. I asked reception to had maintenance please bring us a couple chairs, only to be told there were none to give. So I guess hotel management wishes for their guests to sit on the floor?
We ate at the Waterside grill the one evening, but I reviewed that under the restaurant so I won't say anything further than simply that it was very average food, in a very nice setting with above average prices.
The breakfast buffet which was included in our room price was great. A very large selection of cold and hot breakfast items many of which are changed each day. Just note that I guess for religious reasons all pork food stuffs have been moved to the entrance of the restaurant, something I missed on the first day. You must keep space for a large slice of their divine carrot cake with some vanilla sauce spilled over it. Waiting staff were very attentive and helpful. You can also eat there for R140 I believe if you are not staying at the hotel, so you can invite friends living in George if you want.
One small negative was that on one day of our stay our room still had not been cleaned by the time we returned from an excursion, in the afternoon. We needed to ask reception to have housekeeping do this, while we waited in the lounge. I guess they were a little short staffed as it was Easter, so no big deal really. Another small thing is that there are no elevators to the rooms or direct access from the rooms to the reception or restaurant areas. So if you have difficulty with stairs you should ask for a ground floor room when reserving.
I can recommend the hotel if you are in George though, I am sure you will be enjoy your stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
OubaaiHyatt, Director of Sales at Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Terry E
Thank you for sharing your experience with others! We appreciate your detailed and constructive feedback and all your comments have been noted. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will visit us again in the future.
Director of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Fancourt
Oakhurst Hotel
#8 of 9 in George
Cinnamon Boutique Guest House
Far Hills Country Hotel

Been to Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!