“Unique Strawberry Land”

Redberry Farm
Ranked #2 of 40 things to do in George
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Visit Redberry Farm for a delightful family outing. Activities include strawberry picking, the largest permanent hedge maze in the Southern Hemisphere, the Redberry Express mini train, pony rides, bubble ball and bumper and paddle boats. Our tea garden and farm stall offer a range of exclusive strawberry products. The Red Shed Coffee & Berry Bar is an exclusive farm style coffee bar serving berry beverages, coffees and treats.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I visited the Strawberry Farm aka Redberry Farm last year, and it was unique although the farm itself was small but the surroundings were really great. I love to see the strawberry plants there, and also the strawberry restaurant. For the restaurant, I ordered the strawberry milkshake, it was really tasteful. I also got the chance to ride the train, and it runs around the whole garden, and we were really excited to enjoy the view. Overall it was pleasant.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Shocking service at redberry strawberry farm
I have been to the strawberry farm for the first time last week with the good intention of picking some strawberries - and spending more money at the restaurant and farm stall... However the experience and customer service has been absolutely shocking. Quite frankly I do not recommend families that are planning to attend the Strawberry Festival next weekend to support such a rude place.

On entering I bought a container for 25Rand to pick my own strawberries. The two ladies at the cashier were very unfriendly and did not bother to explain how it worked and where I had to go.
When I found the strawberry field I was "escorted" by 2 farm workers and told "do not eat any strawberries". For the whole duration of my picking experience I was
watched by a farmworker who literally followed me through every row.

I found this quite amusing but continued my picking experience. When my little bucket was 3/4 full the farm worker came right up to me and said "its full now". So I replied "surely seeing that I've just paid 25 Rand for a little bucket of strawberries I can fill it up properly"? She then said no you can not put any more berries than just under the rim. She then promptly called the supervisor farmworker who told me the same thing. I couldn't believe I had to argue with 3 farm workers on filling a little bucket of berries! So I asked them whether they want people to come back or not?

Since she insisted I take out some of my berries in my (paid for) container I refused. She then called the farm manager (via radio) who arrived like a sheriff with another radio in his hand. I asked him what all this commotion was about and whether they believe that they treat their customers in a friendly way?

He then said to me "Madam - we have to run a business here and if everyone picked so much we wouldn't make any money". So I said to him that I have little time for this nonsense and believe that their attitude keeps tourists away and also is the worst Public Relations they can get for a hospitality business. After all for 25 Rand I might as well have gone to a supermarket and bought my berries there!

When he then decided to call the farm owner via radio I couldn't believe my ears. The farm manager said "Tell the lady she must buy another bucket as it cannot be so full" I had to laugh out loud. I gave the farm manager 5 strawberries and said "Here you go - take your 5 strawberries and be happy".

What an unpleasant experience - is this supposed to be a place where tourists and locals enjoy their free time and spend money? Had I experienced this place in a positive light I would have surely become a regular and spent many hundreds of rands in their little restaurant and farmstall in the future...

7  Thank JuliaF581
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Redberry Farm is situated amongst beautiful farmland with the Outeniqua mountains as a backdrop, a lovely tranquil setting!! I have been with friends several times but would love to take our grand children when they come to visit us. It is a lovely happy, safe place place for children to play as they have rabbits to feed, jungle gym to play on, a miniature train and a pony to ride on, then one can pick your own fresh strawberries, wonderful. After all this activity, it is lovely to sit and relax in their tranquil garden and indulge in the delicious scones, strawberry jam and cream or perhaps a delicious toasted sandwich and tea or a wonderful smoothie. I buy the frozen or fresh strawberries from their quaint shop to make jam for our guesthouse. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Wonderful outing for the whole family. They arrange birthday parties and have pony rides as well as a small train. You can buy fresh or frozen strawberries or you can treat yourself and the family with a strawberry picking adventure. Excellent food!

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Laid back and relaxed atmosphere. Signboard states "free range children". Nice little shop selling cheeses, yoghurts, strawberries etc. Lunch menu is light lunches - burgers, toasted sandwiches, salads. My recommendation is Very Berry smoothie made with yoghurt, strawberry salad (very good), carrot cake to finish with.