“Value for your money” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in George
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Value for your money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2012

Visited this hotel en-route to the Eastern Cape. Was attracted by the special offer of only R 360 for 3 (2 adults and child) for b&b - during school holiday! Originally booked the cheapest room, but when we got there we discovered we were upgraded. Hotel reminds of an old ski lodge. We had a large room, gas fireplace and enormous bed. Although not brand new the room was spotless. Breakfast basic buffet with fruit, juice, cereal and few hot options. Be aware - skip the breakfast rush - we ordered omelet, but was told it was impossible as there were only two staff members and many guests. Got some great fried eggs instead! Great stay over option if you do not want to pay the exorbitant prices some of the other institutions charge in the area.
Last tip - we booked through an internet booking site. Our bill at the hotel was more than charged on the booking form, they however immediately corrected this once we pointed this out.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank moniquestrydom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

It was apparent that the Far Hills hotel is no more what it used to be 2 and 3 and more years ago. I remember it as an amazing place, perfect service, clean and neat.
However what we got was budget accommodation, dirty bathroom - actual SNOT on the wall!! Jikes! We had to walk through a "field" of dead bees and flies to and from our room. The service remains great but they need cleaners!
I will keep hoping that they return to their formal glory!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HerRoyalHickup
Prieur, Manager at Far Hills Country Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Her Royal Hickup
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we always find Tripadvisor most informative. Just a quick point, dead bees are not dirty, they are just insects and part of the Wilderness. We have Geckos on our walls, they do leave a bit of something on the wall, but it is not snot. We do clean it but I am afraid that it is a ongoing battle and we are not prepared to get rid of the geckos. Please feel free to visit us again, it may be a good idea to book a Deluxe room not a backpackers room. Kind Regards and all the best. Prieur du Plessis

Travellers are raving about these George hotels

Hermanus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

Best budget stay ever! Linen clean, amazing view. Room with basic needs that you would need for an overnight. This is truly the best stay I have had on budget accommodation. Staff is very friendly and extremely accommodating. Well done!

Room Tip: Room no 48.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dee H
Grahamstown, Eastern Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Myself, my husband and my disabled son (in a wheelchair) decided to stay at the Far Hills Country Hotel to break our trip to Stellenbosch as we left PE fairly late on Thursday afternoon. We were pleasantly surprised with the friendly atmosphere of this Hotel. Food and service at the restaurant was great and reasonably priced. Rooms are adequately equipped. No fancy frills, just down to earth, honest and good service. Ideal for an affordable holiday as most B&B's will charge you more. We stayed with them again on our trip back, and once again received the same excellent service. Overall good value for money. We did not know that affordable Hotel accommodation such as this still exist. We will see you soon. Carry on with the good work. Ronel, Marius and Ruan

Room Tip: If you need something, just ask. Management won't know if something is wrong if you do not ope...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Having read all 31 Trip Advisor reviews, spoken to various guests whom I meet during my stay – combined with my wife and two daughters feedback – aged 5 and 6 and combined with my own travels spanning over 42 countries – each continent including Antarctica - I can honestly comment that the hotel reviews for “no heater” to the “you were 20km from the golf course” is laughable. The hotel and location is truly incredible only surpassed by the staff of this undiscovered gem!

Everything is right – so so right – from the price to the place to the food to the people who are warm, hospitable and who will do anything to help you. The perfect example being the waiter who gave his own mobile number to a guest so they could sms their order to him without having to walk upstairs! These are honestly genuine people with colourful and complementing personalities - highly spirited and full of laughs. This the kind of teamwork and motivational levels hotel chains can only dream of.

There is magic is those mountains………….

The management and staff of this hotel have got it so right they are bordering on an industry revolution with a concept that is often lost in business today. Keep it simple, offer a good product at the right price and deliver it with passion, style and individual class – stay with me…….

R10 for a beer at the hotel bar, R7 for a bottle of coke and R60 for a decent bottle of wine – 750ml yes!

R55 for 400 grams spare ribs, chips and salad and R40 for a good burger! My family never ate anywhere else at these prices, quality and outstanding service not to mention friendly and warm.

For those wishing to compare the distance to Fancourt – my advice is to stay there! Fancourt has a current special on at R5, 200.00 per night for 2 people excluding children. Far Hills Country Hotel deluxe room rate for a family of 4 is R 550.00 per night including breakfast. The breakfast is more than adequate for a “normal” person and family.

Few things in life are perfect and those that are do not last. So if you are looking for an affordable family holiday destination with no hidden costs, catches, clauses and false advertising – you have just found it!

The fact that the General Manager knows 70% of the guests by name at any one time is testimony that people keep coming back. The hotel is also well supported by the “locals” some of whom we met and arranged Horse Riding for the kids others we bumped into at the Wilderness Village. If the locals support it – my experience is always that this is a good sign.

The hotel and surrounds are clean, safe, adequate and majestic just the way they are. No telephones in the room I find a bonus. Some very minor DIY cosmetic maintenance is underway and it is done quietly and in the spirit of good living. So – for those who prefer to focus on a cracked title, some minor damp outside the room and an empty glass at the pool side – Fancourt is 20km up the road.

For me and my family and numerous other couples who stayed at the hotel – the general and overwhelming consensus on the street is that the Far Hills Country Hotel is outstanding value for money – not just the room rate – the room – the restaurant – the bar – everything……

My family stayed for 6 nights – we ate and drank at the hotel to our hearts content and the bill was less than R5, 000.00 for everything! In today’s economic environment I have found a place that I can afford not only to take my family on a week long holiday but also to have enough to enjoy ourselves whilst we are there.

On behalf of my family - my sincere thanks to Prieur, Carian, Dominique, Prince, George, Tamaran, Lindy and the friendly guy who walks the dogs – sorry I do not know your name yet - for making a truly unforgettable holiday for my family. PS: I have already booked another week in July so we will be seeing you soon.

You guys rock…….

PS: Thank You for the Easter Eggs when we left a day before Easter – it made for an interesting story in the car on the way home about how the Easter Bunny stopped at Far Hills Country Hotel first…
Some other refreshing facts to support my thinking that this may well be a revolution in the hotel industry;

• No Bill is presented to sign at the bar or restaurant – it just gets placed on your room.
• Do not be surprised if staff have a conversation with you or ask for your name.
• If you find yourself sitting on the deck staring at the mountains for hours – this is normal!
• If you land up doing nothing the whole day – this is also normal.

If your children dance to the music or go to pick flowers this is also fine – children are made to feel welcome and staff also help keeping an eye of them. A relief for me as it helped me relax.

My yearly Branch Conference will be at the Far Hills Country Hotel this year. My Boss driving down from Johannesburg will spend the night there next and my Sales Manager will book his yearly holiday there shortly for November 2012.

To conclude –a truly outstanding hotel with real people - I will be back in 78 days’ time.

Room Tip: Do not worry about the room as I did when I booked. The gardens and views are so awesome you will no...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Grant100
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

Having never been to Far Hills I was blown away at how beautiful it was. It is like a little piece of heaven off the highway. The staff are amazing with nothing being too much trouble. They are very calm and always greet with a smile. The breakfast was very good and more than enough. The rooms are neat and comfortable with a large bathroom. I think this hotel is fantastic value for money and we will definately be back. The view is stunning and there is a pool and a play area for younger children. We were in George to watch the hockey tournament at York and we just came and went as we pleased. It is wonderful that there is a bar and a restaurant should we wish to stay and eat in.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Andre Oliphant.
My wife and myself had the pleasure of staying over at your hotel for one night and we would do so again without second thought.
We were received by friendly and very helpfull staff. Our room ( one of R400 p/n ) was pleasantly roomy and cheerfull with all the necessary needed. Everything was neet and tidy and in working order. The room actually surprised me as I have paid much more for much less at other hotels.
Debbie, at breakfast made us feel at home, and there was a selection to choose from.The breakfast was more than adequit en tastefully prepared.
I enjoyed my stay with you and although short will recommend you to all my friends and family and personally look forward to spend time with you again.
Regards
Andre

Room Tip: We stayed in room 18. There was no noise from the N2 or other rooms or guests that filtered into our...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Andre O
Also consider these accommodations in or near George
No photo provided
Oubaai Hotel Golf & Spa
Oakhurst Hotel
Oakhurst Hotel
#8 of 9 in George

Been to Far Hills Country Hotel? Share your experiences!