“take your own beverages”

Protea Hotel by Marriott King George
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in George
Port Elizabeth, Bequia
“take your own beverages”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

Earlier this week I visited this hotel with the view to stay in the future and check out their conferencing facilities for future dates. I also happened to visit the bar and as luck would have it it was " happy hour ". When paying for the drink I was horrified to see that I was charged R17 for a 200ml soda and R17 for a 200ml dry lemon . On quering this the barman asked me to take it up with the manager which I duly did. His response was unsympathetic with a sort of take it or leave it attitude. My suggestion is that if ever you choose to stay in this hotel TAKE YOUR OWN DRINKS because at their prices your bar account might turn out more than the accommodation. My suggestion to the hotel is that they re-name happy hour to " unhappy hour ". Happy hour as the name suggests should be half price !!!!

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

The service we received from the moment we arrived was excellent. The staff is very competent and every staff member contributes to a memorable stay. The room was spacious with all the facilities needed to make our stay as relaxed as possible. Supper and breakfast was a feast as there was a variety of food and every dish was of a high quality. Sitting on the porch before supper we had the most beautiful view of the Outeniqua Mountains. It was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

• Stayed February 2013
Cape Town
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

I loved my stay here, the staff were always on top of things. The location was fantastic, a great escape from the hustle and bustle of daily life. The lush surroundings is a definite plus for me, especially considering that I have 4 little people to consider. They had a great time. I would definitely visit this hotel again.
Keep it up guys!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Somerset West
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2013

The facade of the main building belies what lurks beneath. We booked a family room for two adults and two kids, the room was prepared two people only, with only two towels and two cups placed in the room, despite the two double beds. The buffet dinner had a very limited variety, the food must have been prepared well in advance of the dinner sitting as most of the dishes were overcooked. The desserts at least were palatable. The beds were lumpy and could do with replacing. Despite the beautiful setting, Protea Hotel King George falls well short of its 4 star rating.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Deleur S, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott King George, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Dear Craig,
GUESTS' perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We would, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to comment after your recent stay at Protea Hotel King George. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced throughout your stay is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve. Please be assured that your comments have been addressed in detail with the relevant management and STAFF.

I can assure you, should you stay at Protea Hotel King George again, that every effort will be made to ensure that you enjoy our true hospitality! Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any assistance you may require from our side in future. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your next reservation and to ensure that you are well taken care of during your next stay with us.

Yours in Royal Hospitality,
Deleur Stander
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

Quite hard to find this hotel - need a GPS or map. Great (new) main hotel, but rooms are separate. Nice pool in the middle of the grounds. Be careful to ask for a non-smoking room, as we did and were put into a room that had previously had smokers. Quick and efficient check- out. Had an argument with housekeeping about the baby cot , not a good attitude displayed.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

This is a typical 1950’s type colonial chalet hotel, which boarders a nearby golf course. Out of town and too far to walk safely.

If you want a secluded location and to step back into what the past was like then this hotel is for you.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Sedgefield, Western Cape, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

It was a much needed breakaway, the kind you need every once in a while to experience different surrounds and meet new people. After arriving late afternoon at the Protea Hotel King George, my breath wasn't only taken away by the neat and luxurious reception and water fountains but also by the mighty Outeniqua mountains providing the perfect backdrop.

As I arrived at reception to check in, I was greeted by a lady with a sincere smile. While signing the check-in forms, I was offered a glass of fresh apple juice. (This impressed me as you don't always get a drink on check-in). They address you as "Sir" (or 'Mam') and treat you individually, which makes you feel quite important and welcome!

I was then given the breakfast and dinner times and received my 'key' card to open my room.

The rooms are completely separate from the main building, which makes the hotel look like a type of residential complex. As I opened my room for the very first time, I was surprised by the hotel's attention to every little detail. Complimentary gifts (even a bottle of fresh water) greeted me and surprised me in every way. Even a letter addressed to me welcoming me and inviting me to dinner (correct date, spelling and all!)

My room had a stunning view (through partly colour stained glass) of the icy blue swimming pool and beautiful lawn with my own patio table. The room also had an aircon and a LCD TV on the wall with a special selection of DStv Channels (even the channels and their numbers were indicated on a separate brochure and the TV guide was left open on the correct day). The room also has a telephone where you can phone reception directly and room service as well! (Menus provided in the room).

So, after I settled in, it was night time and we went to enjoy dinner in the main building. We ordered a wrapped pork fillet. The waiting time was reasonable. And as the food arrived, I was impressed once again. Neatly presented and extremely tasty, so soft and juicy! The breakfast the next morning impressed me as well with a big selection of yogurt, fruit salads, cereal (for the more healthy persons) and bacon, eggs, freshly made omelettes on request, pork bangers and so much more. All neatly presented, warm and fresh.

After eating a lot, we enjoyed the cozy lounge with a lovely fireplace while enjoying the provided evening newspaper (it was cold that evening, so the fire was more than welcome). I also admired the interior design, the chandeliers and general layout. The reception area boasts a beautiful and massive chandelier. The hotel has beautiful music (mostly well known love songs) playing in the background in the restaurant and through-out the lounge area.

The bar has a cozy feel to it and even though I didn't spend a lot of time there, I sure think that one can have a good time there drinking and being merry. Outside, there is also a playground for the children while parents can admire (or use) the beautiful golf course with the Outeniqua Mountains in the background. The staff treats you with respect and makes you feel welcome at all times... Four stars indeed!

I can say for sure that this was an amazing stay (Technically 35 minutes away from my own home and it felt like I was in a different world!). The only thing that made me realise I was actually in George was the Outeniqua mountains. I would recommend the Protea Hotel King George any day! Bravo!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden and swimming pool. It also has a wonderful view of the mountains. S...