“The best ever”

Protea Hotel George Outeniqua
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in George
Reviewed 6 June 2013

We arrived at the Hotel to be greeted by the most amazing friendly Reception person I have met in a long time. The room was so clean and comfy , The breakfast was amazing and the staff , man they are just different , George as a whole is so nice and the air is so clean and clear just Like this amazing Hotel . We were given the Restaurants across the street from the hotel that you can order your Dinner in or Just stroll across the road to have dinner details , and when I arrived back home I found that I had lost my Jacket ( A present from my son in America) I was heartbroken but one call to the hotel and I was notified that they had found it and arranged to send it back overnight . Wow its was amazing worth the jitter I had about flying ,

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
PHO_GM, General Manager at Protea Hotel George Outeniqua, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2013

Dear Lorraine L
Thank you so much for taking the time to record your comments on Trip Advisor - we really appreciate this, as Trip Advisor is a powerful tool for potential GUESTS to our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our hotel and your time here - our TEAM were smiling ear to ear when we told them. It certainly motivates them even more! I am very happy to hear that your special jacket was found and returned to you by our STAFF. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

The staff are very friendly, the room is clean and all necessities are there. A very nice place to stay. I stayed over on my way back to East London from Somerset West as I needed to meet with someone the following morning

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
PHO_GM, General Manager at Protea Hotel George Outeniqua, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Thank you Rodger for taking the time to comment on Trip Advisor - we value your feedback. We are very pleased that you had a pleasant stay. Yes, we are centrally located and therefore an easy to meet or meet from spot - hope your meeting went well. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back sometime again.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Basic, reasoably priced 4 what you get and it is central aswell, Breaksfast is buffet style with a good range of foods.The main problem here is, as another traveller mentioned on Tripadvisor is the poor quality of cell reception. Hotel staff were not able to give a reason, but this is a major minus for business travellers.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
PHO_GM, Manager at Protea Hotel George Outeniqua, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thank you Terry P for your comments on TripAdvisor - we value all comments received by our GUESTS. Yes, we do occasionally have a problem with cell phone network coverage for some reason - it happens on an ad hoc basis and not all the time. We have been in contact with all the network providers who are trying to get to the bottom of why this sometimes happens. We will continue pushing them, until this issue is completely resolved. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Protea Hotel Outeniqua.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We needed accomodation for the weekend while attending a wedding. The hotel is older, but its well kept and clean. The bathroom has a proper shower inside the bath with a glass partition. Always good to have a decent shower. We had a king size bed as upgrade on prokard. Was a great sleep. Friendly staff, superb omelettes! They only offer breakfast and lunch dinner per arrangement at surrounding restuarants. The meal at adjacent Roses was great with great service! A good stay all over.

• Stayed: April 2013
PHO_GM, General Manager at Protea Hotel George Outeniqua, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2013

Dear Johann
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel on TripAdvisor. We hope you enjoyed the wedding you attended whilst in George - certainly a beautiful area for a wedding, isn't it. We are proud of our historical roots dating back to the early 1800's and being the home to the first magistrate of George. We like to retain the quaint feel of the gabled home yet with all the modern fittings today's traveller will require. Our STAFF were delighted to hear your comments - it is comments like these that motivate us even more to keep our GUESTS happy, so thank you. Yes, we like to believe we offer a scrumptious breakfast that keeps our GUESTS returning so we are very pleased that you enjoyed our omelettes - our chef's speciality! We hope that you will choose us again on your next visit to George.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Your team are the greatest, especially Alfred. Always a smile and friendly, makes me feel at home - Protea employees are my family because I travel so much. The food is great too. I am diabetic and like milky tea and coffee, there is never a problem when I ask for extra sweetener and milk. My car windscreen is cleaned every morning before I leave, that is a bonus.

Room Tip: My favourite room is 226. It's great, in the corner.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Michele
We feel privileged that you choose Protea Hotel Outeniqua as your home away from home - what an honour! Thank you. Alfred was grinning ear to ear again when we told him how great you thought he was. To be considered "your family", is certainly the best feeling in the world for us, thank you so much. You have truly inspired and invigorated our TEAM again with your lovely comments. Safe travels and we look forward to welcoming you "home" again!

Reviewed 3 April 2013

The friendly staff and comfortable room made me feel at home. The internet connection provided came in very handy and the breakfast each morning was delicious. If I ever travel to George again I would definitely make use of the Protea Hotel Outeniqua again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
PHO_GM, Manager at Protea Hotel George Outeniqua, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Thank you Clifton Hattingh for taking the time to post your comments on TriipAdvisor. We love to make our GUESTS feel at home. Our chef is delighted to hear about your breakfast review, thank you! We look forward to welcoming you back - sooner rather than later!

Reviewed 28 March 2013

I'm a regular traveller to the area and always stay at the Outeniqua. This hotel is my home away from home. There are several things that keep me going back there, friendly staff (always make you feel most welcome), clean, comfortable rooms, variety of restaurants to choose from for lunch and supper and last but not least the breakfast that is served at the hotel is definitely the best. Recently I noticed that the waitress' uniform has changed from black and white to some other colours, to be quite honest those uniforms are a tad bit too dull for their bubbly personalities.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear Elaine,
We are privileged that you consider our quaint hotel your "home away from home". Thank you! Our TEAM are all thrilled to hear your reviews. We strive to meet and exceed the expectation of our special GUESTS, like you. Your kind comments certainly inspire and motivate us. We are so pleased that you enjoyed our "best" breakfast - we are proud of our Chefs and their irresistible breakfast delights! Thank you, too, for your comment about our waitresses uniforms. We have received mixed responses to the new uniforms we implemented a year ago. We wanted to both modernize and move away from the "maid" look, made up of the typical black with white aprons. Our team of waitresses are important to us and play a pivotal role in keeping our GUESTS happy. Many GUESTS have expressed delight with the uniforms. We have, however, taken cognisance of your opinion and, as such, are bringing in the addition of a modern and cheerful apron. When the time comes to review the uniforms again, we will take all feedback in to account. Right now, though, we want to concentrate the budget on areas that affect the comfort and experience of our GUESTS, like you, more directly. Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Also consider these accommodations in or near George
Protea Hotel George King George
3 mi away
Fancourt
Fancourt
#1 of 9 in George

Been to Protea Hotel George Outeniqua? Share your experiences!